Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post
    Sync, no. But my house is small enough (or the speakers large enough) to hear my music everywhere, so I don't need that. It's a nice feature, I'm sure, but not a killer-feature for any music system.
    thanks for the info. Interesting about your comment regarding sync not being a killer feature. This demonstrates how great the SqueezeBox system has been (and I hope continues to be). It works for the single player user with a small house. And it works for the multiplayer user with larger house (or in my case, small house, but I want music in several rooms or front porch or back deck that are not really easy to cover with audio (unless I blast the living room stereo!)). So for me sync is a killer feature.

Also interesting to see the different perspective on "a music collection". I have over 70,000 tracks, mostly FLAC, and I'm only 1/2 way through ripping my CDs. But I suspect this is a generational difference (I won't go into the thousands of vinyl albums I acquired before the CD was invented. ;-)
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Am I correct in assuming this system wouldn't handle sync to multiple room players
    XBMC has squeezebox plugins. The controller/artwork display is OK, but the player is just a squeezeslave. The showstopper for me was that it grabs the audio output and doesn't integrate nicely with the psychedelic visualiser. If that worked I'd probably be using it instead of my Chumby.

I could live without the hardware, but LMS is what I'll miss most, assuming the worst.
    Don't push your love too far
    Your wounds won't leave a scar
    Right now is where you are
    In a broken dream.

Quote Originally Posted by pallfreeman View Post
    I could live without the hardware, but LMS is what I'll miss most, assuming the worst.
    well, LMS as it exists today will never go away. And people could keep creating 3rd party plugins for it. I have many versions saved on my disk and backups. They can always be installed on a local computer. It's integration with mysqueezebox.com in order to run services (MOG, Spotify, Pandora, Tune-in, etc.) is what we would lose should mysb.com be eliminated in the future.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Now the Squeezebox is dead, what would your next system be? And why?

Ask me in five years when I might be getting close to possibly replacing my current SB/LMS system.

Would people please read the first line of my original post please
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

I'm going to start playing with J River Media Center on a dedicated tiny silent PC. JRemote on the iPad to control it.
    Squeezelite->SOTM USB->Devialet 200->Focal 1028BE speakers

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Putting the fact that we can still run our hardware in the short term aside for now; To me, it seems like the only real alternative solution is Sonos. Opinions? What would you buy now and why?
    Short term:
    - Continue using Squeezebox, it's still the best system out there from a feature perspective, IMHO there haven't been any major new features added to Squeezebox during the last year and it's still best on the market and I haven't seen any indication that this will change in the near future, so there is no reason to panic yet. I see no reason to start to replacing all Squeezeboxes to a closed system like Sonos on short terms.

Long term:
    - Since the Squeezebox hardware (at least Touch and Radio) is pretty open and have the possibility to run custom firmware I don't think we give up on the hardware yet, but I don't want to go into any further details regarding this at the moment. It will obviously not be possible to purchase new hardware from Logitech but it might not be impossible to reuse the existing one. It's also important to remember that you can actually use an Apple iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad as a Squeezebox by using iPeng or SqueezePad apps and any Android device by using SqueezePlayer app, so if anyone wants to add another player to the system on short terms there are alternatives even if Logitech isn't providing the hardware for them. Of course, these alternative players mainly work reliably for local music and streaming services based on LMS plugins(for example Triode's Spotify plugin), as I've understood Logitech at least previously sometimes banned the third party players from mysqueezebox.com based services.

Related to this, would you be willing to pay an annual or one time fee if you would be sure it would make it possible for you to continue using your Squeezebox hardware with current or similar features ?
    I'm just asking because I think it's unlikely that Logitech or anybody else will do it for free on longer terms, it's just too much work to keep it working with the latest streaming services and you need to add support for new streaming services when they arrive for the platform to be attractive as one or more new streaming services tends to appear on the market every year. Logitech won't do this even if we pay for it, but there might be third parties that are interested in doing it.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    As long as mysb.com stays alive, I can go on for years, and probably will.
    ...as long as Rhapsody, last.fm, TuneIn, etc don't change their APIs. Which they will. If there's no incentive to update mysb.com it *will* die.

Sonos remains the only viable competitor, and an overpriced one at that. I certainly have no intention of replacing my investment in SB devices so quickly. I think our best bet is for the programmers amongst us to come up with an open source equivalent to mysb.com, but that can't happen without support from Logitech (or the old-guard employees).
    Family Room: Receiver; Kitchen: Boom; Garden: Classic; Bedroom: Boom; Anywhere: Controller, SqueezeCommander, Android SqueezePlayer
    last.fm

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by simbo View Post
    ...as long as Rhapsody, last.fm, TuneIn, etc don't change their APIs. Which they will. If there's no incentive to update mysb.com it *will* die.
    This is the key point. I anticipate that my SBs obsolescence will be driven by incompatibilities with music services going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    So..any chance we will see a sanitized version of the firmware? I.e. WAV/FLAC/ALAC? Once an open source community project got rolling, I'm sure we'd see MP3/4 and the like making their way in.
    Problem as I see this is codec licensing.. Whilst 3rd party distributions could include open source aac decoders, there's a license to pay for distributing decoder binaries - this makes it a grey area as the hardware presumably includes a license which Logitech paid. MP3 from memory is potentially licence free for decoder. WMA is a problem though and is unlikely.

That said the firmware builds quite easily for the non licensed codecs and as long as you have a local LMS to do any transcoding will be a viable medium term solution.