Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the replies! I'm wedded to iTunes and ALAC (because I want to use iTunes Match) so I can't add extra tags like you can with FLAC. I'll have a look at that wiki page and compare it against the various guides to tagging classical music in iTunes I've seen.

A lot of people seem to advise putting the composer in the Artist field and the artist(s) in Composer, but that just feels so... wrong. :P

Quote Originally Posted by nekomatic View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'm wedded to iTunes and ALAC (because I want to use iTunes Match) so I can't add extra tags like you can with FLAC. I'll have a look at that wiki page and compare it against the various guides to tagging classical music in iTunes I've seen.

A lot of people seem to advise putting the composer in the Artist field and the artist(s) in Composer, but that just feels so... wrong. :P
    I should have also said that I put Composer in Composer, Conductor in Conductor, Orchestra and/or Choirs in Band, and Genre contains Classical;genre (eg Classical;Symphony). Multiple entries are separated by ;. The different ways systems use separators is something of a pain (so for instance foobar2000 doesn't much like ;'s - it seems to want // and separate tag fields for each entry).

All a bit pedantic, and I suspect I have made something of a rod for my own back by trying to be very explicit about the data mapping. I suspect JohnB's approach is a lot easier to manage (it's just that my brain can't handle Album = Work when it doesn't!).

I use Mp3tag (windows) and puddletag (linux) for tagging.

With Erlands's Custom Browse and Custom Scan I have several different menus, such as Works by Composer, Works by Work Artist, Composers by Work Artist, and so on. The main drawback is that Custom Scan takes a while to run (the LMS scan on my system takes around 17 minutes - Custom Scan adds 2 hours). However, I can run it overnight so it's not too much of a pain.

The main thing I leant is that whatever scheme you use must make sense to you, and must be applied absolutely consistently. So do a few different types of music first, including various non-classical, instrumental, chamber, orchestral, concerti, choral, opera, collections of songs (or whatever) by different composers and/or artists, etc....., and see how it works.

As to using iTunes, the reason I use no iAnything-at-all is precisely because everything has to be done their way, and I'm too contrary to be able to accept that. That's why I use FLACs, LMS and Linux.
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    What does that mean, and why is it a concern?

I've got a pair of headphones that use the DSSS technology. It uses the 2,4GHz frequency to transmit. If I'm in the same room with the Touch I sometimes hear some flaws. I want to avoid that by disabling wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by DC227 View Post
    I've got a pair of headphones that use the DSSS technology. It uses the 2,4GHz frequency to transmit. If I'm in the same room with the Touch I sometimes hear some flaws. I want to avoid that by disabling wifi.
    If you are prepared to accept a number of other modifications see http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co....oolbox-30.html . Version 1 of the toolbox disables wi-fi.

I'm sure there's another way without taking on the other mods if you don't want them. However, I have applied these mods without encountering any problems. Whether the benefits are really significant is a moot point - some say there's a big difference in sound, others say almost none.
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    If you are prepared to accept a number of other modifications see http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.co....oolbox-30.html . Version 1 of the toolbox disables wi-fi.

I'm sure there's another way without taking on the other mods if you don't want them. However, I have applied these mods without encountering any problems. Whether the benefits are really significant is a moot point - some say there's a big difference in sound, others say almost none.
    Thanks! I will these! +rep
    Last edited by DC227; 2012-09-22 at 07:46.

Quote Originally Posted by DC227 View Post
    Does anybody know if Logitech said something about further updating the Touch? I'm currently on the latest firmware. Just curious if somebody knows something.

And, as it should be easily answered I will not make an extra thread for this:

Is there a way to disconnect from wifi? I don't need it disabled completely but my network is always marked as activated. I just want to disconnect.

Thanks guys!
    Sorry for being late if you don't want to install certain tweaks of questionable value .

You can turn off wifi if your familiar with SSH and have turned on remote access in the Touch .
    Some familiarity with the vi editor , but just google how to use it and keep commands handy .
    Note factory resets can wipe this ,be prepared to redo after such things.

For example edit this file:

vi /etc/init.d/rcS

In that file comment out the wlan start by putting a # before the line.

# Start wlan
    # /etc/init.d/wlan start

Another way

edit or rather sabotage the wlan start-up script itself:

vi /etc/init.d/wlan

insert after the first line:
    (go down with cursor) use ":i"

exit;

To save in vi :wq!

John Swenson suggested creating an an rc5.local file like this in another tread

To do this, ssh into the touch then do:

cd /etc/init.d
    vi rc5.local
    (press the 'i' key and then type
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower off
    /etc/init.d/wlan stop

(press the escape key, type
    :wq (thats colon key, w key, q key)

This creates the rc5.local file which will be run every time the touch boots, the iwconfig line turns off the transmitter.

You can always turn of the wlan by simply typing "iwconfig wlan0 txpower off" at the prompt when using SSH but it does not stick after next reboot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Sorry for being late if you don't want to install certain tweaks of questionable value .

You can turn off wifi if your familiar with SSH and have turned on remote access in the Touch .
    Some familiarity with the vi editor , but just google how to use it and keep commands handy .
    Note factory resets can wipe this ,be prepared to redo after such things.

For example edit this file:

vi /etc/init.d/rcS

In that file comment out the wlan start by putting a # before the line.

# Start wlan
    # /etc/init.d/wlan start

Another way

edit or rather sabotage the wlan start-up script itself:

vi /etc/init.d/wlan

insert after the first line:
    (go down with cursor) use ":i"

exit;

To save in vi :wq!

John Swenson suggested creating an an rc5.local file like this in another tread

To do this, ssh into the touch then do:

cd /etc/init.d
    vi rc5.local
    (press the 'i' key and then type
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower off
    /etc/init.d/wlan stop

(press the escape key, type
    :wq (thats colon key, w key, q key)

This creates the rc5.local file which will be run every time the touch boots, the iwconfig line turns off the transmitter.

You can always turn of the wlan by simply typing "iwconfig wlan0 txpower off" at the prompt when using SSH but it does not stick after next reboot
    Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. I'll try it. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    JohnB's approach is a lot easier to manage (it's just that my brain can't handle Album = Work when it doesn't!).
    Sorry for this very late comment but I thought it worth mentioning that when I want to play a ripped CD as a 'CD' I use browse the music folders. When I want to play a specific work I can search for it very simply, as I posted.

Of course, everyone has their own methods. The beauty of this forum is that we can share methods and get ideas which might help us.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Sorry for this very late comment but I thought it worth mentioning that when I want to play a ripped CD as a 'CD' I use browse the music folders. When I want to play a specific work I can search for it very simply, as I posted.

Of course, everyone has their own methods. The beauty of this forum is that we can share methods and get ideas which might help us.
    Amazing how differently everyone treats things. My classical tracks are filed by composer, work, performer (pop is filed by Album).

However, we have got a bit off message on this topic. I have been trying out some UPnP Control Points for my UPnP Client (a Musical Fidelity M1CLiC) with limited success on my Linux laptop, and my Android mobile. As server I have tried the Vortexbox DLNA server, plus foobar2000 and MediaTomb on another PC desktop running Linux.

The best server for me is foobar2000 with the UPnP plug-in, not least because you can change the index so as to include non-standard tags, such as Work. This is the only server I have yet found that allows one to get away from just having Artist, Album, Genre etc. It runs OK on Linux under Wine - not perfect, but good enough. I can also use it as a Control Point on my laptop. However, none of this is 100% stable.

MediaTomb is a good server, and if I worked at it might be more flexible than I have currently discovered. Leia has been the most stable Linux Control Point, with Skifta best so far on Android.

Anywhichway - LMS is streets ahead on usability.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Yes the way classic music evolved ( before the recording industry ) it is not only ill fitted to to the media (to dynamic and complete random collections to fill a disc and playing time does not fit anything ) no tagging schema have evolved with influence from classical music.
    Thus it does not sit well with any media player .

Myself I do not listen much to classical ( I do sometimes ) but i do understand the problem , similar issue could be recognized in jazz or hip-hop/rap or folk where composers ,artist ,soloist ore not well behaved and actually in any music.
    But it is very evident in classical as most composers are dead and we almost never record original events but what rock fans would call cover/tribute bands and focus shifts to who interpreted what in what context ?
    An effort to break this meta data paradigms would greatly enhance music listening and exploring , especially if the "clues" left in one piece of music could lead to another in a natural way ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html