Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Now the Squeezebox is dead, what would your next system be? And why?

Putting the fact that we can still run our hardware in the short term aside for now; To me, it seems like the only real alternative solution is Sonos. Opinions? What would you buy now and why?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Don't know, there is nothing out there that can replace my SB.

If my SB dies I will use an old iPhone/iPod Touch and iPeng.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A26
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    SB BOOM @work, AUX, Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with Neorouter.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    Don't know, there is nothing out there that can replace my SB.

If my SB dies I will use an old iPhone/iPod Touch and iPeng.
    Well I am currently using a (very recently bought) SBT and two SBRs, with the now-retired SB3 as backup unit, so I think can keep going for a while yet. Sad to see such an excellent and versatile system bite the dust.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Putting the fact that we can still run our hardware in the short term aside for now; To me, it seems like the only real alternative solution is Sonos. Opinions? What would you buy now and why?
    As long as mysb.com stays alive, I can go on for years, and probably will. But, like you, I like to think ahead about these things and have the same question. I wish that it was as simple as moving eventually to SONOS. My vortexbox appliances already support SONOS, so that part would be painless. As far as I understand, SONOS can't deal with libraries that are larger than 65,000 files (and maybe less depending on metadata tag content). There is some clunky way combined with windows media player to get more but doesn't sound ideal. I believe SONOS deals with gapless, and I know it does multiroom sync. So that's good. I don't have that much other than 16/44.1 so I could also live with the fact that I can't play 24/96 or higher on the SONOS. But the library max is a real deal breaker for me.

So I too would like to learn a bit more about the various options out there (cheap and expensive).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Sad to see such an excellent and versatile system bite the dust.

Robert
    Reminds me of that apocryphal Mark Twain quote: "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated". It is usually best to let the person actually die before they get buried. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    Reminds me of that apocryphal Mark Twain quote: "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated". It is usually best to let the person actually die before they get buried. ;-)
    You are correct of course! But it does look like a long slow decline into oblivion for Squeezebox, doesn't it? Maybe Logitech will develop UE to fill the gap left by their failure to properly develop the SB line.

Robert

My next system will be Squeezebox based. Today I've invested in 2 x Booms, 1 x Radio and 1 x Touch.

I expect those and my existing players to keep me going for quite some years yet.

There is nothing else on the market that comes even close to providing the features and flexibility I want and probably never will be again.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    As long as mysb.com stays alive, I can go on for years, and probably will. But, like you, I like to think ahead about these things and have the same question. I wish that it was as simple as moving eventually to SONOS. My vortexbox appliances already support SONOS, so that part would be painless. As far as I understand, SONOS can't deal with libraries that are larger than 65,000 files (and maybe less depending on metadata tag content). There is some clunky way combined with windows media player to get more but doesn't sound ideal. I believe SONOS deals with gapless, and I know it does multiroom sync. So that's good. I don't have that much other than 16/44.1 so I could also live with the fact that I can't play 24/96 or higher on the SONOS. But the library max is a real deal breaker for me.

So I too would like to learn a bit more about the various options out there (cheap and expensive).
    If I had to make the move tomorrow (i.e., no mysb.com), I'd initially keep my local music on LMS/Squeezeboxes and set up a small SONOS system for services. It would require me to push a button on my preamp (to change sources). And I'd have to use two different controllers (although at least both controls would be on my iphone and ipad). This would work, but be a hassle, mostly for my wife, who has become very comfortable with doing everything from the SB CONTROLLER.

edit: And I'm glad I've already picked up two extra TOUCH players and one extra Radio (when all on sale), all for backup/replacements for my existing hardware. I might even pick up one more of each if I see them on deep discount/closeout (e.g., at Amazon.com).
    Last edited by garym; 2012-08-29 at 05:35.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

If the software can live on...

Given the opensource (it is right?) nature of LMS we can make it live on. Combined with SqueezeSlave and similar projects I propose raspberry pis with usb sound cards as the hardware (or anything that can run squeezeslave or squeezeplay). And the rest is all software with remote apps.

We'd need to host/branch the software and then also get a forum going for this. This will work for offline listening of course. Not sure about online listening..
    Louis
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    I propose raspberry pis with usb sound cards as the hardware (or anything that can run squeezeslave or squeezeplay)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfH8W0k3qkQ
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D