Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Unless some other unit gets introduced and as long as you can't use it
    > with Squeezeboxes, sync is a non-feature.

Buy two of them to get stereo sound (yes, I think that option has slipped
    in. Don't tell anyone)! :-)

--

Michael
    But I suspect he means a true stereo analog line out with also digital out (optical, S/PDIF, USB) for use with a better DAC connected to a mid-fi or better system. That is, a new TOUCH.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I'm sad. Wish I had more time to process this but I have company arriving in a couple hours.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

worth it to buy another touch?

What do you guys think? I really like the Touch and wanted to add another one to a third room. Random play is essential for me. Without it, no reason to have Logitech players.
    So should I get one before they disappear entirely/get expensive?
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS running Windows 8/1 >Sonore microRendu>Mytek 192 DSD DAC>Schiit Freya Pre>Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch in additional rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    What do you guys think? I really like the Touch and wanted to add another one to a third room. Random play is essential for me. Without it, no reason to have Logitech players.
    So should I get one before they disappear entirely/get expensive?
    I'd say yes. I have 2 extra Touch units and 1 extra RADIO (see sig for all my other active stuff). I had this because stuff does break (screens, mechanics, electrical storm, etc.) and I wanted to be able to slip in a replacement whether or not Logitech still made the product and/or made a "lesser" dumbed down product.

And even I am thinking about another TOUCH and/or another Radio. I looked at amazon.com in US today and the Touch was $239 and the radio was $149.

p.s. this does make me think that I'll take all my spare units out of the box, set them up to download the latest firmware, etc. Otherwise, a few years in the future I might be able to use them but only with the really old firmware.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

All those people who recently bought a Touch and a little NAS for the server will be extremely happy with Logitech. We have to live with these companies whose core business seems to be producing name tags for random equipment pinched from third parties
    My system:
    LMS 7.7.1(rc1) on Diskstation DS207+ (DSM3.1-1594) via SSODS4.9.1mod2 (by j-r)
    LMS 7.7.2-002 on Diskstation DS212+ (DSM4.0) via .spk
    1 x Logitech Radio, 1 x Touch

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > but what does this sentence from Engadget mean then? "(Logitech says
    > owners of the existing model will get the same software update and app
    > support soon.)"

Interesting. You could indeed "update" (downgrade - depending on your POV)
    a SB Radio to a UE Smart Radio, because it's basically identical hardware.
    There are plans to offer this path to those users who wish to go there.
    But it's a Radio only path. All other devices cannot be transitioned.
    So... beware of that option.
    Two questions Michael:
    1. If "downgrading" a SB Radio to UE Smart Radio firmware, will it be possible to "upgrade" it back to SB Radio firmware or is it a one way route ?
    2. If it's a two way route, is there any chance it will also be possible to "upgrade" a UE Smart Radio hardware to use SB Radio firmware ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'd say yes. I have 2 extra Touch units and 1 extra RADIO (see sig for all my other active stuff). I had this because stuff does break (screens, mechanics, electrical storm, etc.) and I wanted to be able to slip in a replacement whether or not Logitech still made the product and/or made a "lesser" dumbed down product.

And even I am thinking about another TOUCH and/or another Radio. [...]
    + 1

p.s. this does make me think that I'll take all my spare units out of the box, set them up to download the latest firmware, etc. Otherwise, a few years in the future I might be able to use them but only with the really old firmware.
    Not only the firmware, though. Am I right in thinking that if you buy a Touch (which I'd like to do because it 'is' a good audio-quality unit), that you need an internet connection both to:

(a) start it in the first place, and
    (b) maybe also each time you turn on?

In other words, is both an internet connection essential for Touch, as well as access to a firmware-distributing server? And for the firmware update, would a recent version of LMS adequately 'serve' recent firmware to a newly-purchased Touch which perhaps internally had firmware dating as far back as its production date?

I'd like to run LMS and Touch (with other SBs) on a local net with no internet connectivity - which I can do with SB receivers - but wasn't sure is possible with Touch?

regards, Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
    + 1

Not only the firmware, though. Am I right in thinking that if you buy a Touch (which I'd like to do because it 'is' a good audio-quality unit), that you need an internet connection both to:

(a) start it in the first place, and
    (b) maybe also each time you turn on?

In other words, is both an internet connection essential for Touch, as well as access to a firmware-distributing server? And for the firmware update, would a recent version of LMS adequately 'serve' recent firmware to a newly-purchased Touch which perhaps internally had firmware dating as far back as its production date?

I'd like to run LMS and Touch (with other SBs) on a local net with no internet connectivity - which I can do with SB receivers - but wasn't sure is possible with Touch?

regards, Atlantic
    I think it is possible to setup a TOUCH without the internet (I *know* it is possible to USE without the internet). Regarding firmware, I don't think this is "served" from the LMS running on your local computer. It comes from elsewhere. But I believe there are ways to update via the firmware file on an SD card or something.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I think it is possible to setup a TOUCH without the internet (I *know* it is possible to USE without the internet). Regarding firmware, I don't think this is "served" from the LMS running on your local computer. It comes from elsewhere. But I believe there are ways to update via the firmware file on an SD card or something.
    to answer my own question, I think the firmware is the jive or fab4 files here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/Log...Server_v7.7.2/

Not sure what to make of all this but.....

Does this mean that this awesome dream-like ecosystem may be coming to an end? I love the Squeezebox music/everything ecosystem and can't imagine being without all its functionality.
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.