Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mp3Tunes dead - possible alternatives?

Is there anyone out there who could investigate whether minus.com could be implemented for SB?

There's API info at http://minus.com/pages/api
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Is there anyone out there who could investigate whether minus.com could be implemented for SB?

There's API info at http://minus.com/pages/api
    From an API perspective it feels like it should be possible to implement, the main issue is if they allow copyright files in private folders, if this isn't allowed it won't work.
    Spontaneously, it feels like the service itself is mainly designed for people who want to share things, so I'm not sure it's an optimal solution for a music locker like mp3tunes.

I asked them a question regarding copyrighted files in private folders, I want to see what they say before I spend any more time on it.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    From an API perspective it feels like it should be possible to implement, the main issue is if they allow copyright files in private folders, if this isn't allowed it won't work.
    Spontaneously, it feels like the service itself is mainly designed for people who want to share things, so I'm not sure it's an optimal solution for a music locker like mp3tunes.

I asked them a question regarding copyrighted files in private folders, I want to see what they say before I spend any more time on it.
    I read the Terms of use and I agree that it's not really clear.

I wonder if there are any other ways of replicating the mp3tunes feature?

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is this "prototype" of a plugin for the Amazon cloud player: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-Player-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    There is this "prototype" of a plugin for the Amazon cloud player: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-Player-plugin
    Thanks. I guess I'm really suggesting that there should/could be an app available via sb.com.

Also, SB should really retire the mp3tunes app given the circumstances.

Thanks. I guess I'm really suggesting that there should/could be an app available via sb.com.
    Understood. Of course, most mysb.com "apps" started as plugins. Whether this app will get any traction with Amazon, or whether it needs to, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Understood. Of course, most mysb.com "apps" started as plugins. Whether this app will get any traction with Amazon, or whether it needs to, I don't know.
    I agree.

I may give the amazon prototype a try.

I agree.

I may give the amazon prototype a try.
    Having read the install details, I'll have to give it a miss as I find them incomprehensible.

Guess I'll just have to wait until somebody comes up with a 3rd party app routine.

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post

I got answer from minus.com and it looks like they don't have any issues as long as you keep the files in private folders. I think the terms of use is a bit unclear because they mainly think about the service as a way to share data between users and not like a private data storage.

I'm pretty sure we can forget about Logitech doing an integration on mysqueezebox.com though, because they would only integrate a service clearly focused at music like mp3tunes. Honestly I'm not even sure Logitech would have integrated mp3tunes, I believe that integration was done while Squeezebox was still handled by Slim Devices. If we want something from Logitech, I suspect Google Music or Amazon Cloud is the best chances, of these Google Music is likely a dead end as Google want people to purchase Android devices to stream from Google Music and is unlikely to allow Logitech to stream to a Squeezebox.

However, unless I'm missing something it might be possible to do a third party applet which integrates with minus.com and that would mean that it can work on a Squeezebox Touch or Squeezebox Radio without a local SBS/LMS. It will of course still not work on the third party Android and iOS players since they don't support applets, so it's not the perfect solution, but I believe some of these third party players also has been banned from streaming from mysqueezebox.com ,so even a mysqeezebox.com solution might not work with them.

The main issue with minus.com is that it might not be a good long term solution since they aren't focused at providing a private cloud music storage, due to this there is a risk they will later add restrictions that cause issues if you want to stream from it. Also, based on the API another issue is that the browsing would be restricted to browse by music folder, so you wouldn't get the full Squeezebox experience with possibility to browse the library in many different ways. A third issue is that you only get 10 GB when registering and they currently don't have any way to expand that by purchasing more storage, you can expand it up to 50 GB by inviting friends as I've understood.

I'm a bit occupied in the near future, but if you still think it's interesting I'll try to get a few hours to experiment a bit as soon as possible just to see if it's possible to get a simple prototype up and running. If someone else is interested in doing an integration with minus.com, please let me know because then I prefer to focus on other activities.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Thanks so much for all the effort you've already put into this!

Before you spend any more time, maybe I should post something asking if others would be interested - no point in you spending hours on this if there are only a couple of users.