Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Sometime when you have the time, it would be great if you enabled debug level logging on "plugin.trackstat" and "plugin.customscan" in LMS Settings/Advanced/Logging and also select the "Save logging settings for use at next application restart" and then restart LMS and send me the server.log after the server has started completely, the extra debug logging will indicate how long time each phase of the startup takes and this will help me see if there is a certain part of the startup that takes time or if it's evenly distributed. After the server has started, remember to reset the log settings, else you are going to get gigantic log files.
    I sent you my log file via e-mail. It took an hour for TrackStat to update urls in statistic data based on musicbrainz ids.

Quote Originally Posted by prabbit View Post
    I sent you my log file via e-mail. It took an hour for TrackStat to update urls in statistic data based on musicbrainz ids.
    Thanks, it looks like it's the refresh query I suspected that's causing all the problems.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

I'm going to uninstall TrackStat until a solution can be found. Let me know if you need a beta tester for your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by prabbit View Post
    I'm going to uninstall TrackStat until a solution can be found. Let me know if you need a beta tester for your ideas.
    There are two options in TrackStat settings page which can be used to disable the refresh operations after startup and rescan, there is another one which you can use to disable musicbrainz_id support, it might be worth a try to try to use these options before uninstalling it completely. The musicbrainz support and the refresh operations are only needed if you rename/move files and want the ratings/play counts to survive these operations, if you only add new files the refresh operations shouldn't be needed.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by pallfreeman View Post
    If the comments in SQLiteHelper.pm are correct, dbhighmem changes the cache from 2MB to 20MB.
    Simply inserting a couple of 0s in there (cache_size = 2000 changed to 200000) allows the whole db to reside in memory. Easy unless you're running Windows.
    Well I had an Ubuntu 10.4 VM which I'd originally planned to install the new server software on before I ran into other problems, so I updated that to LMS and made the change you suggest above. The database is much peppier with no hangs on searches yet (almost double the amount of memory used if top is to be believed, but well within limits), but it's the other performance improvement I saw which makes me thing I really need to go back to Linux.

Look at the directory scanning:

Windows XP VM reading SMB mapped drive:
    Discovering files/directories: N:\Music (180735 of 180735) Complete 02:08:30

Ubuntu 10.4 reading NFS mounted volume:
    Discovering files/directories: /c/media/Music (180784 of 180784) Complete 00:02:52

Holy cow! A factor of 60 increase! The file numbers are slightly different because I added 2 albums, but the hardware is identical 2 Virtualbox VMs running on a busted laptop connecting over 1GB Cat5 to a Readynas Pro Pioneer. Saving 2 hours on every rescan is worth something! Also the scanner didn't hang the way it did on Windows, so I don't know what to think.

The Web UI is still a little pokey in places, for some reason drawing those combo-boxes sends it into a tizzy, but based on the flexibility and the speed of the scanning Linux looks like the way to go. I'll pay a little bit on the MusicIP side, but it should be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    I really need to go back to Linux.
    No argument there.

Do you ever see weird filenames using Windows mounts? Doesn't happen with NFS.
    Don't push your love too far
    Your wounds won't leave a scar
    Right now is where you are
    In a broken dream.

Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    Look at the directory scanning:

Windows XP VM reading SMB mapped drive:
    Discovering files/directories: N:\Music (180735 of 180735) Complete 02:08:30

Ubuntu 10.4 reading NFS mounted volume:
    Discovering files/directories: /c/media/Music (180784 of 180784) Complete 00:02:52

Holy cow! A factor of 60 increase!
    I ran into that, years ago, trying to get a server running on Windows to access an SMB share on a NAS. I think it mayb be a problem in the Perl libraries used on Windows. Performance is much closer using local storage, or accessing a share on a Windows machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Performance is much closer using local storage, or accessing a share on a Windows machine.
    Nobody in their right mind would trust 180K tracks to anything other than dedicated, redundant storage with a regular backup.
    In a broken dream.

Quote Originally Posted by pallfreeman View Post
    Nobody in their right mind would trust 180K tracks to anything other than dedicated, redundant storage with a regular backup.
    Regular backup - yes. "Dedicated, redundant" storage - nearly worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Regular backup - yes. "Dedicated, redundant" storage - nearly worthless.
    And yet a lot of people pay a lot of money to Big Iron vendors to buy it and use it. Linux devs are rewriting ZFS just to change the license, and Microsoft are (as ever) stealing Sun's ideas and dumbing them down. So the gap between "nearly" and "totally" worthless is wide enough to spawn a whole sector of the industry...

If you've ever lost a huge batch of work because you didn't do backups, you start doing backups. But a restore can take a long time and you're out of action while it happens.

If you've ever been screamed at by a pointyhead because your restore is taking a while, you get redundant storage.
    In a broken dream.