Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Announce: Amazon Cloud Player plugin

Hi guys,

I put together what I'm calling a prototype (for reasons I'll get into in a minute) for an Amazon Cloud Player plugin for Squeezebox. You can log in to your Amazon account, browser artists/albums, and play songs. Works pretty well for the most part.

It currently depends on a Python-based command line utility I wrote called cloudplaya (https://github.com/chipx86/cloudplaya), which handles all the actual communication with Amazon Cloud Player. Because of this, it's not a fully self-contained plugin, but it's close.

The plugin is available for download at https://github.com/chipx86/sbcloudplayer/. There's some installation instructions there. I don't yet have it in a feed, but I intend to in time. Given the cloudplaya dependency, I sort of want people to know what they're getting themselves into for now.

Now, as I said, I'm considering it a prototype. While I consider myself a seasoned developer in general, I must say that developing this plugin for Squeezebox was a bit of a challenge, mostly given the lack of docs and inconsistent designs between various plugins out there. This plugin is using OPMLBased to represent the data, and this carries with it some limitations. Preferably, I'd move to using ProtocolHandlers, AlbumInfo, etc. I haven't found any good documentation on how to do this properly yet.

What I would like is for someone with more experience to help take this plugin further. The Cloud Player communication should be rolled up into this in order to make it standalone, and it should better integrate with the aforementioned interfaces. If someone is able to lend a hand in some form with this, it'd be much appreciated.

As it stands, though, it works. I've been listening to music from my Cloud Player on my Squeezeboxes. I'd be interested in seeing how it works for other people.
    Last edited by chipx86; 2012-07-31 at 15:47. Reason: Adding links

Thanks!

I just registered to thank you for this. Now that Amazon is using the Cloudplayer as a profit-maker, I hope that Logitech incorporates an app, but I wanted to thank you for going to the trouble of doing this yourself.

I've tried installing it and the app shows up in my Squeezebox (Radio), but while it lists the artists I have in my Cloudplayer, when I try to navigate past that it shows up empty. (It also offers me the choice to sort by album, but all the entries are empty.) The same thing happens if I try to run it through the Web interface server on my desktop. I tried to clear out the cache but couldn't find the files, which may be the problem.

Disclaimer: I'm not very good with Python and this is the first third-party app I've installed without going through the Web interface, so my guess would be that there is operator error involved somewhere. In any case, this isn't a request for help, though it's welcomed, but just a thank you for the work you put into this, since I am sure I'm not the only one who's benefited.

error message

Hey chipx86,
    first off all thanks a lot for the effort. I have downloaded the plugin and I can see it in my SqueezeControl but I keep getting an error when clicking either on "albums" or "artists".

"cloudplaya" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file

any idea what I am doing wrong or need to do to get rid off this?

Thanks,

Mercenary

As chipx86 does not seem to be around here anymore I just wondered whether nobody else is
    a) interested in this plug in and
    b) capable of developing it further.

I can see the plugin appearing in my Mediaserver but I cannot get it to work properly - it won't find the artists or albums.
    If this was to work properly I would upload my entire colletion to Amazon. I think they offer a great deal.

Nobody interested?

Cheers,

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
    Hey chipx86,
    first off all thanks a lot for the effort. I have downloaded the plugin and I can see it in my SqueezeControl but I keep getting an error when clicking either on "albums" or "artists".

"cloudplaya" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file

any idea what I am doing wrong or need to do to get rid off this?

Thanks,

Mercenary

HI can you tell me how can I install it on a WD Mybook Live NAS with installed SB Server 7.2.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
    As chipx86 does not seem to be around here anymore I just wondered whether nobody else is
    a) interested in this plug in and
    b) capable of developing it further.

I can see the plugin appearing in my Mediaserver but I cannot get it to work properly - it won't find the artists or albums.
    If this was to work properly I would upload my entire colletion to Amazon. I think they offer a great deal.

Nobody interested?

Cheers,

Merc

are you still working on this? just installed your plugin and cloudplaya can't authenticate (no form matching name 'signIn')?
    or is this project dead?

SBCloudPlayer seems to load but I can't see it in the user interface

Hi:

On my Windows 7 computer I have tried to setup the SBCloudPlayer.

1. Downloaded and installed Python 2.7.10

2. Downloaded cloudplaya Python library
    Installed it with the administrative "command prompt" commands:
    CD C:\Users\phil\Desktop\cloudplaya-master
    ez_setup.py -U setuptools
    (lots of messages were displayed)
    setup.py install
    (lots of messages were displayed)
    cloudplaya authenticate --username MyEmailAddress
    cloudplaya get-albums
    (saw list of albums, so cloudplaya is working!)
    (although displays a "InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request" warning)

4. Put SBCloudPlayer files into C:\Program Files (x86)\Squeezebox\server\Plugins\SBCloudPlayer

5. Restarted Logitech Media Server 7.7.5

6. From the Logitech Media Server's "Settings" page, the "PlugIns" tab I can now see the "PLUGIN_SBCLOUDPLAYER_DISPLAY_NAME (v0.1)" item in the "Active Plugins" section with a check-mark next to it so I think it is loaded OK.

HOWEVER I cannot see any way to listed to my Amazon Prime music using the Media Server's "Web Control" or by using the "iPeng HD" application on my iPad.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Phil