Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My Radio was running continuously on external power but one day it died. I checked the power supply on another Radio and it was fine. I suspected that it may be the internal connection to the power input so I inserted a battery, and whoof my Q3 went up in smoke. So I’ve replaced that but it hasn’t got the Radio working again, and I’m wondering what the best sequence of replacement of items should be assuming (per the SB3 C16 and C20 capacitors) that there is a most likely failure mode. Any advice? I can solder capacitors, but that U2 power amplifier looks beyond my capabilities.

Hi all,

got another failed Radio here, burnt Q3 and short circuit across the power amplifier outputs. However, it turned out that the short circuit continues to exist even after the power amp chip was desoldered.
    The owner told me he was not aware of any battery in the device but the battery (original model) was actually in there. Seems that the battery being in there can trigger the self-destruction out nowhere anytime.
    So I would recommend everyone to remove the battery for good and forget about it. Many devices seem to fail the moment the battery is inserted, but it might also happen in a power outage when the circuitry switches from external power supply to battery or back after external power is restored. Every one of these transitions is apparently very dangerous for the entire device.
    Things around the battery look like an afterthought. Logitech seems to have implemented this part of the circuitry in a hurry. I can just say, do not use it.

Regards,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    8x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (3 waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (1 dead, 1 waiting for repair)
    2x Radio (1 dead)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Hi all,

got another failed Radio here, burnt Q3 and short circuit across the power amplifier outputs. However, it turned out that the short circuit continues to exist even after the power amp chip was desoldered.
    The owner told me he was not aware of any battery in the device but the battery (original model) was actually in there. Seems that the battery being in there can trigger the self-destruction out nowhere anytime.
    So I would recommend everyone to remove the battery for good and forget about it. Many devices seem to fail the moment the battery is inserted, but it might also happen in a power outage when the circuitry switches from external power supply to battery or back after external power is restored. Every one of these transitions is apparently very dangerous for the entire device.
    Things around the battery look like an afterthought. Logitech seems to have implemented this part of the circuitry in a hurry. I can just say, do not use it.

Regards,
    Joe
    I have not read the whole thread but your post caught my eye. Will using a battery in the SB Radio pose a fire hazard or is will it just possibly damage the radio? I have used mine on battery and on mains with the battery always inserted for a few years now with no issues. Is this just asking for trouble?
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43 CET 2018
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Hi all,

Regards,
    Joe
    They can can fail without battery so this seems a bit over the top.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=861151

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=909389
    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There's no way of knowing what is going to happen. It's true, the Radio can also fail without ever seeing a battery at all, but from what I read here, most of these incidents involve the battery so that's suspicious.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    8x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (3 waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (1 dead, 1 waiting for repair)
    2x Radio (1 dead)