Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow -so happy!

Smile Wow -so happy!

I have been thinking of a networked sound system for a while and been drooling over the apparent simplicity of setting up a Sonos system. But with a few other investments I found that I should look for more financially viable options. Hence my (initial) purchase of one Sqz Radio and one Sqz Duet (one more Duet coming soon for another home stereo).

Even with the reconfigureation of my Nas (Western Digital) the setup has been a breeze and everything just works together. The most difficult bit har been turning the "wheel" to set up the account and password things. My music library plays, my radio stations play and I will have Deezer set up in no time.

Some tricky bits I have found:
    - It is not immediatelly obvious how to synchronize the music library with squeezebox server.
    - While I know how to start playing stuff I do not yet know the best method to stop playing. Have been looking for a stop button on the remote or the radio but not found one yet. At least the radio has a power off. Works for now.

Quote Originally Posted by aolsson View Post
    I have been thinking of a networked sound system for a while and been drooling over the apparent simplicity of setting up a Sonos system. But with a few other investments I found that I should look for more financially viable options. Hence my (initial) purchase of one Sqz Radio and one Sqz Duet (one more Duet coming soon for another home stereo).

Even with the reconfigureation of my Nas (Western Digital) the setup has been a breeze and everything just works together. The most difficult bit har been turning the "wheel" to set up the account and password things. My music library plays, my radio stations play and I will have Deezer set up in no time.

- It is not immediatelly obvious how to synchronize the music library with squeezebox server.
    - While I know how to start playing stuff I do not yet know the best method to stop playing. Have been looking for a stop button on the remote or the radio but not found one yet. At least the radio has a power off. Works for now.
    Holding pause a bit longer gives you stop

Edit: and welcome to the forum
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Welcome. I don't really understand your first point. If you just point LMS (Logitech Media Server) at the music folder(s) on your hard drive, then it reads it. There isn't any synchronization necessary. If you add tracks/albums, then you need to do a rescan of the library (see the Settings page on the LMS web interface).

stop = press-and-hold pause for a few seconds

Enjoy!

Thank for the information on the stop function - that was very helpful.

As for the need to "synchronize" i must explain that I run the Squeezebox Server on a Western Digital NAS drive. After I move new ripped tracks to this unit (shared music folder) i have to log on to the Squeezebox server and find a tiny ikon in tha bottom right corner (labeled "settings") and do a "scan for new or changed music". The trick was to associate "settings" with the scan for new music.

Another "quirk" I have recognized is a difference between the player in the Squeezebox Radio and the player that camet with the Duet: I ripped a disk using Windows media player to a compressed WMA format. This played fine on the Sqz Radio - but not on the Sqz Duet. I re-ripped the disk using FLAC format using Win-Amp and now it plays on both. Problem with Win-Amp is that is often does not find the album graphics.

The NAS probably lacks the computing power to real-time transcode WMA to a format that the Receiver can play. The Radio is a little bit newer technology and decodes WMA natively. One solution would be to run LMS/SBS on a more powerful computer. You can do that without moving your music files off your NAS, if you have a "server" computer available.

Your issues are due to the limitations of NAS devices....

Scan: PC's & Mac's have a Control Panel option to access such functions like scan/rescan without having to launch the entire LMS web UI then entering Settings, this is not available on NAS installs.

WMA: NAS devices require special audio codec packages to recognize & play WMA files, but as suggested even if you have such NAS codecs the NAS may not have enough horse power to transcode them.

Yep. So - since I have lots of space on the NAS and basically only intend to use it for the music I've decided on using WAV format. That I have verified plays on all units.

I have also found that when the program that rips cd:s can't find the album graphics I can just scan the CD-cover and place a jpeg named "Folder.jpg" on the disk.

Using WAV is a bad idea, there isn't a reliable way of tagging with WAV. Use FLAC.

As for the need to "synchronize" i must explain that I run the Squeezebox Server on a Western Digital NAS drive. After I move new ripped tracks to this unit (shared music folder) i have to log on to the Squeezebox server and find a tiny ikon in tha bottom right corner (labeled "settings") and do a "scan for new or changed music". The trick was to associate "settings" with the scan for new music.
    Okay, so you were only referring to adding the newly ripped tracks to LMS's database. If opening up LMS's web interface is too annoying, I'm pretty sure there are plugins that will let you do it from the player's interface. I know I have it on my SB2s and SB3/Classic, but I'm not sure if it also works with the Duet Controller or Radio, or if there is an applet that will do the trick. Rescanning is just a simple CLI command that gets sent to LMS.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Okay, so you were only referring to adding the newly ripped tracks to LMS's database. If opening up LMS's web interface is too annoying, I'm pretty sure there are plugins that will let you do it from the player's interface. I know I have it on my SB2s and SB3/Classic, but I'm not sure if it also works with the Duet Controller or Radio, or if there is an applet that will do the trick. Rescanning is just a simple CLI command that gets sent to LMS.
    For no good reason at all they turned down requests to also have rescan as an option in squeezeplay ?
    So not on radio or touch or controller , but available from the old players by default.

And on iPeng
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html