Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: How large is your local music library ?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than 100 000 songs

21 9.05%
  • Between 50 000 - 100 000 songs

38 16.38%
  • Between 25 000 - 50 000 songs

56 24.14%
  • Between 10 000 - 25 000 songs

74 31.90%
  • Between 1000 - 10 000 songs

42 18.10%
  • Less than 1000 songs

1 0.43%
  • Don't have a local library (only use internet radio and streaming services)

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

How large is your local music library ?

> based on the stats it seems that quite clearly the product line seems to
    > cater with people with a passion for music and\or the collection
    > thereof.

Don't trust any stats you haven't faked yourself. The number of people
    participating in this poll represents only a very, very small number of
    the overall user base. And it only represents users who care to come to
    this forum. And who decide to participate. Overall this very likely
    doesn't represent the average SB user.

It would probably be interesting to see what players users in this thread
    are using, and how many. I bet the number of Radio only users would be
    small compared to the overall share that particular device has. Etc. etc.

Ignoring what I've just said it looks like I'm a very average SB user
    (which I'd bet I'm not :-P).

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > thereof.

It would probably be interesting to see what players users in this thread
    are using, and how many. I bet the number of Radio only users would be
    small compared to the overall share that particular device has. Etc. etc.

Ignoring what I've just said it looks like I'm a very average SB user
    (which I'd bet I'm not :-P).

--

Michael
    agree! I responded (between 50 and 100k) -- and that's only part of my collection, when done ripping I'll have > 200,000 tracks. But I'm certainly not a normal user (and have lots of SB stuff). I have only one friend that has a similar size music library (and he doesn't use ripped music....plays CDs themselves). Most of my other friends didn't even bother to rip the few CDs they own, and those that have SBs or use computers for playing music, mostly do internet radio (radioparadise.com is popular among this crowd) or things like Pandora.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

"64 albums with 830 songs by 92 artists."

Not very typical of the results, so far! I use a Boom every day and the Duet a few times a week, but 99% of my use is last.fm, Slacker, Pandora and streaming radio. (I use LMS on my PC some of the time, but mostly just go directly to msb.com.)

The numbers of albums reported here really surprise me, but I guess folks into music enough to use the various SB incarnations must have some money to support their habit. I have about 200 CD's, and at $10-$15 each, that's $2k-$3k spent just on them. I can't imagine spending $20k-$30 for 2000, let alone having over 8000!

That's one reason I use the services, but I haven't stopped buying CD's because of them. In fact, just last week I got five CD's of artists I'd recently discovered through last.fm and Slacker. (Pandora's Scandinavian selection is nonexistent!) I have just always had to be very particular about what I buy, and for that reason have very few CD's I don't like very much.
    Last edited by kc5f; 2012-07-06 at 08:55.

Total Tracks: 68,916
    Total Albums: 4,298
    Total Artists: 1,112
    Total Playing Time: 4755:54:48

Total Tracks 24781
    Total Albums 2036
    Total Artists 826
    Total Playing Time 2048:32:34
    2x Squeezebox Touch

Several hundred Cds and downloaded concerts to go thru yet but the key ones are done.
    Last edited by dasmueller; 2012-07-06 at 09:30.

I cheated just a bit, as I have 24k tracks and change -- rounded up!

It is kind of silly, isn't it? I have something like 60 days of non-stop continuous music to play. I know there are many whole albums that I have never listened to, at least in SB mode, and never will. I am always on the lookout for new music, or old music to fill holes in my collection, and often buy used CDs which get ripped and forgotten. Also many downloads, perhaps more lossy but increasingly lossless. Admission -- I have acquired a few things via Torrent, but these represent a tiny proportion of the total, and then almost always things I couldn't otherwise find.

I think it's in the nature of collecting. We want things for the having of them, perhaps not always for the direct enjoyment. I also collect antique botanical prints (the hand-coloured kind ripped out of 19th Century publications), and once examined and scanned and posted on my website, they live unseen in binders inside a file cabinet. Protected from the light, you know.

Ron

Transporter, two Booms in service (plus one spare), one Duet in service (plus one spare), one Touch currently not in use but insurance against the Transporter croaking. May use the Touch to replace the Duet, but it's used so seldom I'll probably keep the Touch in the box pending a greater need.

Quote Originally Posted by kc5f View Post
    The numbers of albums reported here really surprise me, but I guess folks into music enough to use the various SB incarnations must have some money to support their habit. I have about 200 CD's, and at $10-$15 each, that's $2k-$3k spent just on them. I can't imagine spending $20k-$30 for 2000, let alone having over 8000!
    keep in mind that I've been buying CDs for almost 30 years. For about 15 years I stopped almost everyday on my way back from lunch in a local CD store that handled mostly used CDs (in a University town). So it was rare that I didn't come back to the office with a fistful of CDs....but at much less than retail price..... And in the old days there was no MOG, Rhapsody, Spotify, Pandora, or internet radio. You either owned the CD or you rarely heard what you wanted. And regular FM broadcast radio has sucked for my tastes since about 1970 or so (when FM radio was "underground" radio).
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Tracks: 9,566
    Albums: 815
    Artists: 359
    Genres:45

In the poll I actually votet for 10-25k. I intend to keep on gathering ...

So far I can claim to have listened to all tracks at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    So far I can claim to have listened to all tracks at least once.
    Good side question. With my about 70,000 tracks, I'd say I've heard 99.9% at least once, although there are some CDs that I've listened to only once and never again. And some where I really only wanted one song from the CD to begin with (again, I was purchasing in the dark ages, prior to availability of music via downloads). I have the luxury of being able to listen to music all day every day with rare exceptions.

edit: I used to have a complicated scheme of where I stacked my new CDs until I'd listened at least once then filed away. The "new music" function of SB and certain playlist functions make this much easier for me now.....

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > thereof.

Don't worry, I'm aware of it, but since my question is related to third party add-ons, I suspect those that will install them are probably mostly people participating on this forum and seeing this poll, so I suspect the poll result will still be a little bit representative for my needs. I also suspect that most users not participating on this forum has smaller library than this poll represent, so if the add-on is designed for the result of this poll it will probably work for everybody else too.

Michael, does Logitech have any numbers for library sizes reported from LMS/SBS to Logitech which you can share (either via PM/mail or in public) ?
    Or isn't that kind of information reported if the "Report Statistics" option in LMS Settings/mysqueezebox.com settings page is activated ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets