Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mini windows 10 pc - any recommendations

I'm considering a windows 10 mini Pc to run headless 24/7.

Don't need anything super powerful.

Any candidates?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post

Any candidates?
    Why Windows 10? Why not a Linux based machine - generally far more reliable for LMS only - it could be a Pi with pCP
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Why Windows 10? Why not a Linux based machine - generally far more reliable for LMS only - it could be a Pi with pCP
    This is connected to my ongoing search to find a way to play Audible to squeezeboxes...

This works pretty well:

Win 10
    AUDIBLE
    TuneBlade (airplay bridge) for Shairtunes lms plugin
    Anydesk remote

This gives a nice usable interface on an android tablet.

I've got it all working on a win10 laptop but thought a dedicated always on mini Pc would be a nice alternative.

There are a couple of win 10 tablets which could eliminate Anydesk use, but battery life seems notoriously short. And there's reliability issues with all these noname devices.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a Beelink and it is surprisingly good. They do a range of versions depending on how high a spec you want e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09HYKPB...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

I'm a fan of enterprise thin clients, some of which will run Win10, like the Wyse 5070 (look for one with the J5005 CPU) or maybe the HP T520/530. The 5070 you can put a bigger SSD in if needed, but only one. How much expansion do you need? How many internal drives?
    Last edited by sodface; 2021-11-05 at 04:49.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    I'm a fan of enterprise thin clients, some of which will run Win10, like the Wyse 5070 (look for one with the J5005 CPU) or maybe the HP T520. The 5070 you can put a bigger SSD in if needed, but only one. How much expansion do you need? How many internal drives?
    Nothing fancy - storage is not an issue.

Any candidates?
    Depending on the size of your library, I'd recommend at least an i3 otherwise library rebuilds will take forever. Note that Win 10 Home does not have remote desktop server so you'd need to use a third-party solution like VNC. Win 10 Pro is good to go out of the box.

In addition to Beelink mentioned above, Amazon has several reconditioned and inexpensive HP ProDesk/EliteDesk units. If you want to keep noise out of the picture, go for something fanless. Note that you may need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse for initial setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    I'm a fan of enterprise thin clients, some of which will run Win10, like the Wyse 5070 (look for one with the J5005 CPU) or maybe the HP T520/530. The 5070 you can put a bigger SSD in if needed, but only one. How much expansion do you need? How many internal drives?
    I also use a J5005 on an ASRock https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/J5005-ITX/index.asp since it was released. The HD performance and USB3 i good enough to handle everything LMS related well and runs Win 11 without limitations.
    The follow up J5040 should even be a bit faster.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Any candidates?
    I have x2 of these running LMS on Win10 at two locations: https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...2807-rev-10#ov

Not compatible with Win11 though.
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    I have x2 of these running LMS on Win10 at two locations: https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBare...2807-rev-10#ov

Not compatible with Win11 though.
    These Gigabyte Barebones look nice. Shooting a 4TB SDD on Black Friday may make it complete.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers