Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

What should I buy?

Hi all,

Iíve been a long time LMS user with SlMP3 and Squeezebox frontends.

Recently, I added a couple of Jogglers as controllers.

Itís all fine when it works, but it doesnít quite work most of the time. I think itís because the hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Also, my familyís use has changed over the years.
    Spotify is no longer a cute addition, itís now the primary way that my family access music.

Add to that the fact that Iíve never got Spotify working properly with LMS, and Iím wondering if I should move away from LMS completely. It certainly needs to be the secondary concern from now on. Spotify is what my family use. Resistance is futile.

So, what should I use as a Spotify end point?

A Raspberry Pi maybe?

I also want radio. Can Raspberry Spotify end points do that (mainly/only BBC).

Iíve considered a Raspbery screen as well (Kodi frontend would be a cute addition), but a headless Spotify end point would probably be sufficient, at least initially.

Is it possible to run some form of Squeeze player alongside Spotify end point software (I donít trust trying to run Spotify from within SqueezePlay because Iíve never been able to get that working properly.

One final requirement is LAN connectivity. I donít want WiFi for these end points. Iíve got LAN cable running everywhere that I want it.

What would you recommend?

What problem are you having with spotty? Itís been flawless for me. Itís all my wife uses and she has no knowledge of how LMS etc works.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Hi garym,

For some reason, it just doesn't work for me.

I've had it working briefly, for one or two users, but then even that stops working.

I've never been able to get all five of us able to play our spotify though the system.

The usual problem is the output just not seeming to be available from out iPhones.

Sometimes it does show up, but not play.

Vary rarely, it plays a bit, then stutters around and flakes out.

I've had the same experience with various incarnations of LMS installs.

Need more detail on your setup. One spotify account? LMS running on what operating system. Are the iPhones setup as players? Using what? iPeng or?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

@ Gingermagic

It is possible to build ones own librespot on a raspberry pi (takes a little over 30 minutes on a rpi 4b; copy and paste from instructions on the web). I have only used this from a single user premium subscription, so don't know how well it would work with a family subscription.

There are also programs available to use in the same way, like raspotify.

It is also possible to run LMS on the same pi (for the radio stations).

If iPhones are the primary source of audio playback, there is no use for LMS as there are apps to cover all your needs available in the App store.

iPhones can also be plugged into any decent hi-fi system with the use of an appropiate dongle.

iPhones should also be available on the network as players without much configuration in LMS.

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermagic View Post

The usual problem is the output just not seeming to be available from out iPhones.
    Please provide more detail on this issue. LMS is the server that outputs to devices. Are you trying to have the iPhone provide the music to LMS system or the problem is you cannot play music on the iPhone from LMS?

As Gary mentioned, more detail on your system would help.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The thing that I'd been failing to do was play music, on our phones, with the Spotify app, and then select the SliMP3 or Squeezebox at the output.

However, I'm in the middle of setting up a new server, so I'll try setting up LMS afresh and see how that all goes. If I have the same issues, I'll try looking at other solutions. If it all works this time, then all good.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The thing that I'd been failing to do was play music, on our phones, with the Spotify app, and then select the SliMP3 or Squeezebox at the output.

However, I'm in the middle of setting up a new server, so I'll try setting up LMS afresh and see how that all goes. If I have the same issues, I'll try looking at other solutions. If it all works this time, then all good.

Fingers crossed.
    Iím still confused. The spotty plug-in within LMS or the official spotify app on iPhones, which has nothing to do with LMS? Respectfully, Iím not sure you are clear on how this all works. With spotty app, I have no issues playing spotify or my own music via LMS and my various players. More detail needed.

Spotify app on iPhone.
    While playing, press the 'Listening On' icon (bottom left).
    You should then be able to select the Sqeeze front end device (SliMP3 or Squeezebox in my case).

In the past, the output has sometimes shown as an option, and sometimes not.
    And when it has been a selectable option, it's sometimes worked, but mostly not.

Ths must be be supposed to work, because the options is sometimes there and sometimes does work.

I'm just wanting me and my family to be able to play Spotify on our phones, and then select room speakers as the output, when we want to.

I'd prefer to do this through my LMS backend, because I've always liked the system. However, the rest of the family have moved on, so if i have to chose between solid multi user Spotify playback 'or' LMS, then Spotify playback will win.

Spotify app on iPhone.
    While playing, press the 'Listening On' icon (bottom left).
    You should then be able to select the Sqeeze front end device (SliMP3 or Squeezebox in my case).

In the past, the output has sometimes shown as an option, and sometimes not.
    And when it has been a selectable option, it's sometimes worked, but mostly not.

Ths must be be supposed to work, because the options is sometimes there and sometimes does work.

I'm just wanting me and my family to be able to play Spotify on our phones, and then select room speakers as the output, when we want to.

I'd prefer to do this through my LMS backend, because I've always liked the system. However, the rest of the family have moved on, so if i have to chose between solid multi user Spotify playback 'or' LMS, then Spotify playback will win.
    What you are referring to is called "Spotify Connect" and it works perfectly fine with spotty in my configuration.. I don't have family account though so I'm not sure if that can cause problems. With normal premium account I have never experienced intermittent functionality in terms of end points visibility. Only spotty problem I'm aware of is occasionall " playback pause"with Spotify play lists.. Tbh not even sure this problem apears in Spotify Connect usage.. Maybe only when running form LMS.
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)