Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4

    Receiver (Duet) low volume output to my Sony STR-V555ES...

    My Logitech Duet Receiver sounds fine through my Sony STR-V555ES Amp/Receiver; however, the audible volume level is low, requiring that I turn up the volume on the Sony amp very high. Note that if I play the music at a normal level, the amp does get hot, and the volume on the Sony is set pretty high, but it does play fine and doesn't overload the amp. But, if I want to hear the music loudly, I need to crank up the Sony's volume control so high that within a minute, the amp heats up and shuts itself down as thermal protection. I believe that in the past, I was able to play the Logitech Receiver loudly without throwing the thermal protection circuit, but that was a long time ago. As time has gone on, it seems like I have to crank the volume control on the amp higher and higher to get loud sound, and now it always throws thermal protection at a loud level. My BluRay and DVD players plugged into my Sony Amp don't have this problem and they play loudly without the receiver getting hot. I've tried connecting via the optical output, the digital coax and the stereo RCA outs. I've also tried plugging the Logitech Receiver into different inputs on the Sony to confirm that the particular Sony input wasn't the problem. I have the volume on the Logitech Controller set to 100% and I've also tried the setting to lock the controller volume at 100%. I am aware that with the optical and digitial coax outs plugged into my Sony amp, the Sony amp is doing the DSP and when using the RCA outs, the Logitech Receiver is doing the DSP. But still, in both cases, I am unable to figure out how to increase the gain on the signal so that my amp doesn't need to work so hard to achieve loud volumes. I am ripping CD music using Exact Audio Copy to MP3 VBR and my MP3's sound fine when played from an iPod through the stereo, so I believe that the problem is with the Logitech Duet Receiver and not my MP3s. I've researched extensively on the web, on slimdevices.com and other sites (pages of different google searches) and see that others have similar problems but cannot find a suitable resolution to the problem. Please help if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Blasphemes; 2012-06-13 at 20:26.

  2. #2
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,299
    When you adjust the volume via the Controller is the Receiver responding? i.e. volume does increase/decrease some what?
    When you view the Receiver on the web UI (LMS or MySB.com) does it show it set to 100%?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    When you adjust the volume via the Controller is the Receiver responding? i.e. volume does increase/decrease some what?
    When you view the Receiver on the web UI (LMS or MySB.com) does it show it set to 100%?
    Hi Toby10, Thanks for the response. Yes to both questions. The audible volume does respond properly to the volume control adjustments on the Controller, so I always end up setting the volume to 100% on the Controller to minimize how much I have to manually turn up the volume on my Sony Amp/Receiver. Also, on my laptop's Logitech Media Server webpage, when selecting the Receiver, the volume shows 100%.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemes View Post
    Hi Toby10, Thanks for the response. Yes to both questions. The audible volume does respond properly to the volume control adjustments on the Controller, so I always end up setting the volume to 100% on the Controller to minimize how much I have to manually turn up the volume on my Sony Amp/Receiver. Also, on my laptop's Logitech Media Server webpage, when selecting the Receiver, the volume shows 100%.
    I'm not familiar with your amp/preamp/receiver, but be careful and make sure that you haven't connected the Duet to the PHONO inputs of the preamp/receiver. If you are using analog connectors, you should connect to the input likely labeled AUX or maybe CD.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm not familiar with your amp/preamp/receiver, but be careful and make sure that you haven't connected the Duet to the PHONO inputs of the preamp/receiver. If you are using analog connectors, you should connect to the input likely labeled AUX or maybe CD.
    I understand. The receiver is connected to the AUX input (I've also tried the CD input), and definitely not the PHONO input. I've tried both RCA Analog and Optical/Digital Coax. Actually, the RCA Analog input was even quieter than the Optical and Digital Coax inputs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemes View Post
    I understand. The receiver is connected to the AUX input (I've also tried the CD input), and definitely not the PHONO input. I've tried both RCA Analog and Optical/Digital Coax. Actually, the RCA Analog input was even quieter than the Optical and Digital Coax inputs.
    I do recall some threads about the duet receiver being quieter than other SB players. (And I've found that any of the SB players are much quieter than my CD player). And when it comes to Internet Radio, each station can be very different. Some are very quiet and some are almost at clipping levels.

    See for example:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ght=duet+quiet

    I had a duet receiver in use at one time and I could certainly get loud enough volume from my preamp/amp to bring the police to my house if I cranked it up.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  7. #7
    Senior Member Millwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    806
    I also have to set my receiver volume significantly higher for the receiver than for my CD player etc. However, the heat problem surprises me. It doesn't take any energy to increase the signal level in the pre-amp stage. All the power the amp uses should be determined by the actual volume of the output. Also, the change in behavior is troubling. Once I determined the "correct" volume setting for my receiver, I've never changed it at all.

    Having said all that, I'm not sure what to suggest!

    (Just to cover the bases - on the web settings page->player->audio make sure replay gain is off.)
    2 SB3, 1 Duet
    Debian Squeeze server LMS 7.9.4
    TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router wireless network.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood View Post
    I also have to set my receiver volume significantly higher for the receiver than for my CD player etc. However, the heat problem surprises me. It doesn't take any energy to increase the signal level in the pre-amp stage. All the power the amp uses should be determined by the actual volume of the output. Also, the change in behavior is troubling. Once I determined the "correct" volume setting for my receiver, I've never changed it at all.

    Having said all that, I'm not sure what to suggest!

    (Just to cover the bases - on the web settings page->player->audio make sure replay gain is off.)
    to add a little more: I used my receiver with both analog and then later with S/PDIF and TOSLINK. All had lower volumes than my other SB players. Also, I had SbS set to use the REPLAYGAIN values. So, although it is certainly true that the RG values will almost always make the volume LOWER, you should still get ample volume even with RG tags being used...
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    to add a little more: I used my receiver with both analog and then later with S/PDIF and TOSLINK. All had lower volumes than my other SB players. Also, I had SbS set to use the REPLAYGAIN values. So, although it is certainly true that the RG values will almost always make the volume LOWER, you should still get ample volume even with RG tags being used...
    Hey Guys,

    Thanks for all of the great feedback. I suspect that the Sony Amp/Receiver overload/heat problem due to turning up the volume is an issue with the Sony itself and I'll troubleshoot that. As far as the low input volume originating from the SbS, I'm still not aware of anything that can correct that issue. If anyone has any more suggestions regarding how to get the SbS to output sound volumes more closely matching other components (like my BluRay and CD players), then please forward them along.

    Blasphemes

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemes View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Thanks for all of the great feedback. I suspect that the Sony Amp/Receiver overload/heat problem due to turning up the volume is an issue with the Sony itself and I'll troubleshoot that. As far as the low input volume originating from the SbS, I'm still not aware of anything that can correct that issue. If anyone has any more suggestions regarding how to get the SbS to output sound volumes more closely matching other components (like my BluRay and CD players), then please forward them along.

    Blasphemes
    agree. overheating is 99% likely your receiver. And by the way, just to be crystal clear, you will NEVER get the SbS receiver output up to the level of most CD players or BluRay players (at least any CD players or BluRay players that I own...they are all much, much hotter in terms of volume than my SB players....and it is just that the Duet Receiver is even a bit lower still). But all works very well, just requires more volume at the amp level, and I have plenty of that to spare. Good luck.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •