Boom speaker split - replacement - Altec Lansing Live?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mnyb
    • Feb 2006

Was there not a theory that the rubber could touch the sharp plastic edge of the chassi of played loud enough ? Which is not that loud considering the bass eq .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• get.amped
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JJZolx
      You're talking about something that can be expected to gradually degrade over a period of decades. Not fail catastrophically after a year or two.
      Yes, true.
      Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
      Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Comment

• Cheesy
        • Oct 2009

No split but still knackered.

So I've got the same distorted bass problem on my six year old boom, but on removing the grilles I see no sign of any splits in the speaker.

I guess there are other reasons why I could have this problem.

Can someone give advice on next steps in order to diagnose the problem please.

Much appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141214_143439.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1557755

Comment

• JJZolx
          • Apr 2005

Look very closely around the very outer edges of the speaker surrounds. You many not notice the separation just by casually looking at them and may need to (very gently) tried to pull the edge away. The split is typically very clean and very straight.

Comment

• Cheesy
            • Oct 2009

Seen.

Originally posted by JJZolx
            Look very closely around the very outer edges of the speaker surrounds. You many not notice the separation just by casually looking at them and may need to (very gently) tried to pull the edge away. The split is typically very clean and very straight.
            Got it. Thanks.

Both speakers are done for.

On with the repair...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141214_153942.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1557761

Comment

Working...