Problems downloading dependencies - downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache access?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdoering
    • May 2008

Problems downloading dependencies - downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache access?

I having a lot of trouble trying to build squeeze-os due to various outdated dependencies. Correcting them one at a time is very tedious as one fix leads to a whole new set of issues (obsolete patches when picking up new versions, etc).

It looks like some dependencies should be cached at downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache (would be really nice if they were all there) - but that directory doesn't allow browsing so it's difficult to try and sort out what is or isn't present there.

Any chance that directory browse access can be enabled for that directory (like other directories on the same web server)? Also anyone have any other hints on doing end-to-end fresh builds without running into tons of dependency issues?

-Jeff
  • murkle
    • Sep 2010

[SlimDevices: Jive] Problems downloading dependencies -downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache access?

On 22 April 2012 00:30, jdoering
    <jdoering.5beafb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    > I having a lot of trouble trying to build squeeze-os due to various
    > outdated dependencies. Correcting them one at a time is very tedious as
    > one fix leads to a whole new set of issues (obsolete patches when
    > picking up new versions, etc).
    >
    > It looks like some dependencies should be cached at
    > downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache (would be really nice if they were
    > all there) - but that directory doesn't allow browsing so it's difficult
    > to try and sort out what is or isn't present there.
    >
    > Any chance that directory browse access can be enabled for that
    > directory (like other directories on the same web server)? Also anyone
    > have any other hints on doing end-to-end fresh builds without running
    > into tons of dependency issues?

There's a been a discussion on this (relatively) recently:

I tried building squeezeos a year ago and hit a bunch of problems,
    before giving up..

If you could collate a list of problem (missing) packages and even
    collect links to the archives, that would probably be more useful for
    the devs. There much more likely to fix this if the solution is
    provided via a patch. I don't know if directory access is that
    important, presumably the easiest fix is to find copies of the
    required versions of dependencies.

Presumably on their own build machines all the archives are present
    and they never encounter this problem?

Comment

• jdoering
      • May 2008

Yes there were semi-recent threads with similar problems. I've hit those and a several others not mentioned. To be honest I don't have a full list as I worked through one issue at a time for a while without keeping track. Eventually the whole thing just ended up too painful so I thought I'd try posting and see if anyone might know a better way.

If Logitech devs have no problems because they have all of the downloads already (not fresh machines); then they could very easily make everyone's life a lot easier by making the source files accessible as a mirror (like poky-cache).

If old caches are not how successful builds are being accomplished then I'm curious how this thing gets built at all as the step-by-step fixing it approach looks pretty ridiculous.

-Jeff

Comment

• murkle
        • Sep 2010

[SlimDevices: Jive] Problems downloading dependencies -downloads.slimdevices.com/poky-cache access?

On 23 April 2012 03:56, jdoering
        <jdoering.5bgemn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
        >
        > Yes there were semi-recent threads with similar problems. I've hit those
        > and a several others not mentioned. To be honest I don't have a full
        > list as I worked through one issue at a time for a while without keeping
        > track. Eventually the whole thing just ended up too painful so I thought
        > I'd try posting and see if anyone might know a better way.

if you checked out squeezos over svn/git you should be able to run
        diff to see the edits you made?

Comment

• jdoering
          • May 2008

I probably could but that really wasn't my point in starting a thread. I'm sure I can continue slogging through this and sort it but I'm not sure that it's worth it. If I do get it built; I'll probably be so happy to be done with the misery that sorting out the required diffs after the fact will likely be my last concern. I don't mind contributing to solve things but getting the basic build going is of minimal interest - just a necessary prereq to doing something actually interesting in my case. As such my interest in dealing with these issues is minimal...

Given that this is a current product that supposedly has automated build scripts it's too bad that it's so hard for anyone outside of Logitech to actually build it due to some combination of old dependencies and lack of a self-contained download process (e.g. one not subject to breaking when external sites change their source control systems, download package names, etc).

Anyway I knew that it was a long-shot but if this builds somewhere them maybe the dependencies are cleanly available somewhere and could be made available at pretty minimal effort for someone with the right access...

-Jeff

Comment

Working...