Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Music Scan is failing and/or aborting

Hi..

I have Logitech Media Server (v7.7.1) installed on a Synology NAS 211j ; this is the latest available version from Synology. I have used this for 12 months plus across my large music collection. However, when rescanning the process hangs and a full scan fails.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, with no change. I can successfully scan the music library for pictures only but when music files are included it hangs or aborts.

Your help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi there,

Maybe the tags or albumart are not in order?
    You can use the log (scanner.log) to troubleshoot
    Open the webUI, click on "settings" (Right-bottom), go to advanced, click on submenu and select "logging", there change the value of all items that include the word scan or scanner to "debug". Then hit "apply".

Then run a new scan.
    Once that's done (or freezes) have a look at the scanner-log. It should show more detail.
    The offending album will be at the bottom of the page.
    Remove the offending album from the music-folder temporarily (Store it on the desktop or something), and repeat the scan, when it hangs again, check the log again, remove offending album, and so on.
    Once you scanned through, run a tagging program over the offending albums before placing them back in the music directory.

Should fix your problem, but may be a bit of work.

Try clearing the LMS Cache folder (how you do this on a NAS I have no idea), then do a wipe & rescan.

Music Scan Now Completes

Hi AnthonioBEL

Many thanks for your help. I've now identified and isolated the albums/folders of music files previously causing the scan to fail. If I may ask another question - when the scan fails the log file identifies the offending folder/music files followed by the following error description ... "Permission denied at /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter/CPAN/File/Next.pm line 217." Should I look for the cause of this in the tag files or is there something else causing the problem? If so, how do I fix?

Cheers.

Hi gbjbatlh,

Hard to answer exactly what IS causing that particular message.
    Perhaps you could post the path to your music-filder here? (Same path you set in LMS)
    You could also post the scanner.log file here as a txt or zip for a proper looksee.
    You could check the folders of the albums you removed to make sure there are no shortcuts in there pointing at other locations.
    It could also be an error of LMS, trying to point at a particular location because it wants to process something it found in the failed files. I can't tell at this point.
    In any case, I would run a tagging program over one of the failed album-folders, make sure there are no shortcuts or anything in that folder, then dump the folder back in the main music folder, and run a new scan. Regardless of the error you had, if the scan runs through,.. then, brilliant! Repeat for the next music-album ;-)

Anthonio

Quote Originally Posted by gbjbatlh View Post
    Hi AnthonioBEL

Many thanks for your help. I've now identified and isolated the albums/folders of music files previously causing the scan to fail. If I may ask another question - when the scan fails the log file identifies the offending folder/music files followed by the following error description ... "Permission denied at /volume1/@appstore/SqueezeCenter/CPAN/File/Next.pm line 217." Should I look for the cause of this in the tag files or is there something else causing the problem? If so, how do I fix?

Cheers.
    Check the file permission on those directories/files the Synology is Linux maybe something went wrong while transfering the files to NAS and they ended up with wrong permissions
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-09-12 at 09:38. Reason: Spelling
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Smile Now Fixed

Many thanks to all for their help. Mnyb identified the problem, correcting the folder permissions fixed the scan, that now completes.

Cheers !!

Quote Originally Posted by gbjbatlh View Post
    Many thanks to all for their help. Mnyb identified the problem, correcting the folder permissions fixed the scan, that now completes.

Cheers !!
    Is it your music files that have the wrong permissions or the Next.pm directory?

Thanks