Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 91 of 238 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Thanks Guido.
    Will I be able toplay 24/96 via USB/EDO this way?

I cannot connecting Vlink directly to the Touch.

thanks.
    Works for me. I use a little (cheap) Belkin High Speed USB Hub between the Touch and the Vlink II. The output of the VLink is then connected to my DAC via Toslink cable. It plays up to 24/96 files.

BUT . . . see post #902 and my sig below.

Guido F.
    Last edited by guidof; 2012-09-18 at 11:40.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Less (hardware) IS More (enjoyable sound)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    just asking, but is it really such an improvement to go from "Touch USB > hub > Vlink > Spdif > DAC" over "Touch s/pdif > DAC"? One can use EDO even in the latter case.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidof View Post
    Excellent question. My initial assumption was that 'less is more' and thus a straight SPDIF connection to the DAC would yield better results. But having tried the circuitous route via VLink II, I preferred the latter. This may very well be a function of my equipment, as well as my expectations for 'better' sound and my music preferences (I mostly listen to jazz and classical).

Having recently acquired a different DAC (the DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core, which is actually both an equalizer and a DAC) I may try the more direct connection again with this new setup. But this will take some time, as I'm currently in the midst of trying out different Ethernet cables, which may be the subject of a different thread -- in the 'audiophile' forum, of course. ;-)

Guido F.
    OK, so I tried the more direct route with my new DAC (Touch/EDO/Digital out -> Toslink -> DSPeaker AntiMode Dual Core DAC/EQ). With this connection, I hear more 'air,' more accurate timbres, a more involving musical presentation by comparison with the USB-to-SPDIF converter in the loop. Definitely worth removing the USB hub and VLink II.

Thanks, garym, for raising the point. Thanks again to Triode for an excellent app, with apologies for mentioning SQ in this thread rather than in the 'audiophiles' forum. ;-)

Guido F.
    Last edited by guidof; 2012-09-18 at 11:47.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Bifrost | EDO & TT3.0

Quote Originally Posted by clar2391 View Post
    I posted this several weeks ago on a different thread, and it was suggested the I contact Schiit about Linux compatibility. I haven't heard from Schiit so I thought I'd post here (please forgive the double post).

I just got a Schiit Bifrost DAC and I'm having problems using the USB output with EDO. The audio plays but it's very distorted when playing any resolution file, including 16/44.1. The output works fine at all resolutions when I switch over to the coax output.
    Does anyone have experience with the Touch/EDO and Schiit Bifrost?
    Hi clar2391,

I┤m new here and following the discussion around the EDO as well as in another forum around the Touch Toolbox.

In particular I┤m thinking of getting the Touch as well as the Bifrost, too. As far as I understood your post 24bit/192Khz files should be possible via coax connection, correct? So that means - if this combination works - the USB option for the Bifrost is not "mandatory".
    What I really like to know is if you could really hear a difference using the Touch WITH the Bifrost. Makes the Bifrost "really" a difference or would it be sufficient to use just the Touch?
    And have you already tried the touch tooolbox 3.0 in combination with EDO and with/without the DAC?

I know ....questions over questions...but I would really appreciate if you or somebody else here could give his feedback.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers from Germany.

EDO and Odac?

I presently have two systems each utilizing a Squeezebox Touch running triode's EDO and an asynchronous USB DAC, the Audioengine D1 and the HRT MSII and in both cases a self powered USB hub. The playback quality is very nice. I run flac from a remote (wired ethernet) netbook (w/ USB connected music storage drives and LMS 7.8.0-the Touch are loaded w/ 7.8.0 firmware).
    This is a nice setup and works w/o issue. I have read about the Odac and I'm wondering whether anyone is using the Odac w/ a Touch and EDO. The Odac is said to work w/ linux but I can't find an online account of anyone using such a setup.
    Can anyone provide some personal experience using the Touch w/ EDO and the Odac via USB?
    Larry

EDO and Legato II

Hi Triode,

I just got this battery powered Legato II. The USB side is running StreamLength USB code by Gordon Rankin.

It works great with EDO, but in order for it to go into charging mode when not playing music, SBT must tell it that music is not streaming. Or if USB power is cut, that would kick in the charge mode too.

So is there a way for EDO to tell the USB device that you're not streaming just before SBT is turned off? If that is not possible, can EDO powers down the USB bus before SBT is turned off? Maybe this can be an optional parameters.

Thanks for the great plug-in.

Kuro

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Hi Triode,

I just got this battery powered Legato II. The USB side is running StreamLength USB code by Gordon Rankin.

It works great with EDO, but in order for it to go into charging mode when not playing music, SBT must tell it that music is not streaming. Or if USB power is cut, that would kick in the charge mode too.

So is there a way for EDO to tell the USB device that you're not streaming just before SBT is turned off? If that is not possible, can EDO powers down the USB bus before SBT is turned off? Maybe this can be an optional parameters.

Thanks for the great plug-in.

Kuro
    Afraid that's not possible at present as the Touch digital output is always active. It would require changes to the main touch firmware to signal that it is off (unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    Afraid that's not possible at present as the Touch digital output is always active. It would require changes to the main touch firmware to signal that it is off (unlikely).
    Is the touch firmware in open source so one can mess with it? So there is no way to hook up to the power down command so one can tell the digital output to shut off? I thought your Screen Turn off plug-in is intercepting the off command as well?

I'm hoping if you can find some way around this.

BTW, found a bug in your Screen off plug-in. Normally, the backlight LEDs are off. If I pause the music and then resume, the screen will only turn black, but backlight LEDs are still on.

I can confirm EDO is working with an Audio-Gd 15.1 (TE8802L chip) DAC/headphone amp using Kernel#11, thank you Triode for that!

I then reset the Touch to factory defaults and applied the original kernel to try with my second DAC the Nuforce DAC-9. I repeated the setup steps like with the 15.1, except I didn't apply any of the other kernels. For some reason the DAC is not detected during a reboot. Coax works.

Here are some outputs from dmesg, aplay -l and messages:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/dmesg.txt
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/aplay%20-l.txt
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/messages

/proc/asound/cards is empty at 0 bytes.

I'm trying to obtain information as to which chip is used for USB input, to see if there's any hope of successfully pairing the two at all.

If you have any other suggestions what else I could try, please let me know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shkorc View Post
    I can confirm EDO is working with an Audio-Gd 15.1 (TE8802L chip) DAC/headphone amp using Kernel#11, thank you Triode for that!

I then reset the Touch to factory defaults and applied the original kernel to try with my second DAC the Nuforce DAC-9. I repeated the setup steps like with the 15.1, except I didn't apply any of the other kernels. For some reason the DAC is not detected during a reboot. Coax works.

Here are some outputs from dmesg, aplay -l and messages:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/dmesg.txt
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/aplay%20-l.txt
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1184591/messages

/proc/asound/cards is empty at 0 bytes.

I'm trying to obtain information as to which chip is used for USB input, to see if there's any hope of successfully pairing the two at all.

If you have any other suggestions what else I could try, please let me know. Thanks!
    It does not look like anything is detected by linux - does the dac work with linux on a PC? It looks from their web site that the DAC requires a driver for Mac OSX - if it does then its likely it does not use standard usb audio protocols. I would recommend you ask the manufacturer if they support the UAC2 standard.

I see. If it does not support UAC2 standard, are there any other options to try?