Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 49 of 239 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    apart from the fact that myself and others find it improves the SQ, so it is at least worth a try.
    Please read the audiophile forum thread and restart squeezeplay so you see what the actual buffer settings are - there is no change with spdif to the actual buffer settings which get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    Please read the audiophile forum thread and restart squeezeplay so you see what the actual buffer settings are - there is no change with spdif to the actual buffer settings which get used.
    what about these period and buffer sizes below, they change.

output for buffer 999999999, period count 64

/usr/bin$ cat /proc/asound/card3/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
    access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
    format: S32_LE
    subformat: STD
    channels: 2
    rate: 44100 (44100/1)
    period_size: 2048
    buffer_size: 131072

output for buffer 400000, period count 64

/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings$ cat /proc/asound/card3/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
    access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
    format: S32_LE
    subformat: STD
    channels: 2
    rate: 44100 (44100/1)
    period_size: 276
    buffer_size: 17664

edit - these are for usb, but the spdif TXRX card has the same behaviour
    Last edited by SBGK; 2012-05-20 at 04:37.

The only changes are the additional buffer options and the bypass of the defined buffer size if you use a sample rate which needs resampling - so can't see how it will sound different. You can manually download the file from my google code page and unzip the old version, but I don't want to spread any suggestion here that people should do this.
    went back to 0.6 then changed to 0.7 then back to 0.6.

Can confirm that 0.7 version makes my ears bleed with it's strident treble, unlistenable in my setup, so something must have changed to alter the sound.

For me 0.6 is near perfect, whether it is a technically worse version than 0.7 and 0.6 is compensating for some defiency in my setup - I don't know, but 0.6 sounds amazing for me. I'll stick with that for now.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    what about these period and buffer sizes below, they change.
    Please read the audiophile forum thread especially this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post705120

These very large settings don't do anything for the spdif driver.

Please also move this discussion to the audiophile forum - I want to keep this thread for discussion and debate of install/compatibility problems.

Please read the audiophile forum thread especially this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post705120

These very large settings don't do anything for the spdif driver.

Please also move this discussion to the audiophile forum - I want to keep this thread for discussion and debate of install/compatibility problems.
    Was just replying to your question in this thread, so thought that was the best place for the reply.

It is valid feedback to your changes, just trying to help, thought this thread was for feedback.

They made a difference to the sound I and others get when using SPDIF, so don't know how you can categorically say they don't make a difference. Same as there is a difference in sound between 0.6 and 0.7.

Do you have a view on why changing the settings in file /etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/SqueezeboxFab4.lua to point to the same device as in EnhancedDigitalOutput.lua seems to moderate the harsh sound that some have reported with the EDO mods ?

settings = {brightnessControl="manual",alsaPlaybackPeriodCoun t=4,brightness=1,alsaPlaybackDevice="TXRX",alsaPla ybackBufferTime=100000,alsaSampleSize=24,cleanRebo ot=false,brightnessMinimal=1,}
    Last edited by SBGK; 2012-05-20 at 07:00.

I would like to follow the "sound changes" and others with every version back: How do I install previous versions best:
    Download from: http://code.google.com/p/triodeapplets/downloads/list and just replace the actual
    one 0.7 via SSH?
    Sorry, I do not know a lot about this program....

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by mldb View Post
    What are the technical challenges to support 24/192 on the I2S output taken from the SBT?
    There is some discussion of this at the experimental thread. You may want to look at that. I am glad to hear someone else is interested in the I2S signals. Also, if 178/192K become available on the I2S lines, the Touch internal DAC would work at these speeds, which might be of interest to many other non-technical users using the analog output. It might even inspire Logitech to make this kernal mod official...

You should be able to access /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/ as with other linux kernels. Was the previous experience with async usb dacs or adaptive ones and did you have a usb isolator in the link?

Its the same as the standard Logitech kernel in this respect - which has the RT patch set applied and high res timers enabled - not sure its possible to make it more real time than this?
    Now I've got the Touch sounding pretty much as I like it (using version 0.6), I remembered Soundchecks post on page 7 asking about the nrpacks parameter

So tried a few options, EDO default is 8, I guess the recommendation is 1 for better latency. As is my want, I tried larger values and sure enough a less digital sound was produced, I have tried the value below and it works for all sample rates on my VLink 192 and the result is a gorgeous liquid sound. It's a keeper for me.

echo 15000000000 > /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/nrpacks

Quote Originally Posted by JIJ3 View Post
    There is some discussion of this at the experimental thread. You may want to look at that. I am glad to hear someone else is interested in the I2S signals. Also, if 178/192K become available on the I2S lines, the Touch internal DAC would work at these speeds, which might be of interest to many other non-technical users using the analog output. It might even inspire Logitech to make this kernal mod official...
    I think having 24/192 I2S capability will make this excellent digital audio player complete. Given that it can output 24/192 with coaxial output, the chip itself is capable in handling it. Just need to find the right setting. Read your post on suggested setting. Hope we can hear good news soon.

Berkeley Alpha USB

I went out and bought a Squeezebox touch too see if it worked with the Berkeley Alpha USB converter. It appears it dos not.
    Everything appears correct, the converter is recognized as a high speed device, and all supported resolutions up to 192kHz is listed.

The problem is that there is no sound. I see from the previous posts that there are a couple of other guys in the same situation with different DAC`s.

I appreciate the work that i being done on this, and I hope that some day I can get this to work with my gear.