Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 21 of 239 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Touch doesn't see my USB DAC

I wanted to see how my DAC sounded in USB mode but I can't seem to get the Touch to see my DAC.

Triode's applet is installed. The DAC is in USB mode. I made sure the DAC was on before turning on the Touch.

When I go to digital output settings I don't see anything related to USB.

My DAC is an Eastern Electric Minimax Plus.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by brillo View Post
    I wanted to see how my DAC sounded in USB mode but I can't seem to get the Touch to see my DAC.

Triode's applet is installed. The DAC is in USB mode. I made sure the DAC was on before turning on the Touch.

When I go to digital output settings I don't see anything related to USB.

My DAC is an Eastern Electric Minimax Plus.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
    The MiniMax plus USB input will not work with the Touch. It uses the M2Tech USB receiver which uses it's own proprietary driver which only exists for windows and MacOSX. Since the Touch uses linux there is no driver available for this receiver on the Touch.

You can still use the S/PDIF coax or optical interface.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    The MiniMax plus USB input will not work with the Touch. It uses the M2Tech USB receiver which uses it's own proprietary driver which only exists for windows and MacOSX. Since the Touch uses linux there is no driver available for this receiver on the Touch.

You can still use the S/PDIF coax or optical interface.

John S.
    Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by dsdreamer View Post
    A strange thing happened after leaving both Touch and DAC powered on for the duration of my day at work. After coming home I found I could not play music, even though both devices were still powered on from this morning's experiments. I further noted that the USB hub's green indicator light corresponding to the DAC was not lit. Power cycling the DAC didn't cause it to be recognized, either. Nor did completely unplugging the device from the hub and plugging it back in. Finally, I pressed the reset button on the Touch and waited for the reboot to complete. The green light on the hub corresponding to the DAC came back on, and music started playing.
    Hum - please report again and if possible let me know what dmesg says if it gets into this state.

The issue we have is that the squeezeplay application and LMS expect the output device to be present when Touch is powered up - this is when things like the max sample rate are reported to the server. Hence Touch only really finds the dac when restarted. What I added to this release is something which means that Touch keeps polling a usb dac which has be turned off to see if it returns. This works for short periods, but it may be that it doesn't work after a longer period - in which case I would be interested in any observations you have.

If we could make more significant changes to squeezeplay then it may be easier to work around this, but it requires changes to the Logitech firmware if full features are to be supported.

Quote Originally Posted by leoduran View Post
    My understanding is that the EDO is really intended to leverage the USB2.0 port on SBT for supporting "Async USB" (USB2) DAC's up-to 24/192K... And for that, I don't think there's need for TT3.0 (but perhaps I'm missing something?)
    This is correct - the purpose of the app is to 1) add usb dac support, 2) extend the built in spdif to support 176/192k playback.

The app performs one of the features of TT3 in that it splits the analog from digtal out - which is necessary for 192k support as the analog out does not seem to support it. However it does not support any of the other features and will also be incompatible with TT3 for some features.

Other than that there's no change in the audio path for spdif from the stock kernel. Please refrain from posting comments which assume there should be a performance difference and then feel disapointed when there is not/or is... I'm afraid I am not going to comment further on such posts as they are distracting this thread from the intention of the app and the support of people with usb dacs. Feel free to discuss on the audiophile forum.
    Last edited by Triode; 2012-04-17 at 13:40.

You can add the Asus Xonar Essence One to the list of working high speed usb dacs.
    Earlier troubles I had was because I used a usb to cat5 extender, but this one is not compatible with usb 2.0.
    Now the computer placed near the dac it's working fine in all resolutions over usb and spdif.

Which HW is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    1) USB 1 dacs which operate in asynchronous mode probably need an external high speed hub to work without "clicks" - this is due to what appears to be a limitation in the Touch hardware. It is completely resolved with a cheap (<$10) bus powered hub connected between the dac and squeezebox. There is a workaround option which works with some dacs if a hub is not used, but it limits playback to 44/48k sample rates. At present is has only been proved to work with Audiolab/Lakewest dacs.
    I have an HiFiMAN USB DAC and I'm getting clicks/pops on a Vortexbox Linux appliance and I'm wondering if using this would solve my problem here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Arcam Rdac

I've read through all 21 pages of this awesome thread but still can't find the answer. Will this work with the Arcam Rdac? If so do I need a powered usb hub and what kernal should I run? I'm assuming I just follow the directions on the first page of how to install?

Thanks guys!

Arcam rDAC

Quote Originally Posted by CAK1 View Post
    I've read through all 21 pages of this awesome thread but still can't find the answer. Will this work with the Arcam Rdac? If so do I need a powered usb hub and what kernal should I run? I'm assuming I just follow the directions on the first page of how to install?

Thanks guys!
    Well, there's an easy way to find out: Just try it!
    (As I understand it, the rDAC does support Async USB)

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by leoduran View Post
    Well, there's an easy way to find out: Just try it!
    (As I understand it, the rDAC does support Async USB)

Good luck.
    It works! No hub needed! Is there a way to verify if it is indeed async and the sample rate?