Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 102 of 238 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2373

I get 192/24 playback with the V-Link...

Quote Originally Posted by Turnandcough View Post
    Not that I'm really into 192 files but just out of curiosity...

Does anyone have an idea why I can't play 24-192 files using Touch 7.8 > EDO > V-Link 192 USB converter > S/PDIF > EE Minimax DAC? I was able to play the same files using Touch's S/PDIF output to the DAC.

Am I missing something?

Thank you
    My setup is Flac > Touch 7.7 > EDO > V-link 192 > S/PDIF > Rega DAC. I have this working reliably at all sample rates. Can you check the light on the V-link to see if it is locking on 192kHz? Obviously if the lock light is on, we should worry more about the cable and DAC, whereas if it doesn't light up the 192kHz red LED we should look further back in the signal chain.

Are you starting with Flac or some other uncompressed format?
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

Quote Originally Posted by dsdreamer View Post
    My setup is Flac > Touch 7.7 > EDO > V-link 192 > S/PDIF > Rega DAC. I have this working reliably at all sample rates. Can you check the light on the V-link to see if it is locking on 192kHz? Obviously if the lock light is on, we should worry more about the cable and DAC, whereas if it doesn't light up the 192kHz red LED we should look further back in the signal chain.

Are you starting with Flac or some other uncompressed format?
    The lock light is on and the 192 light is red. The only sound I get is the odd click here and there. I'm running 7.8(I thought this version was the only one that worked with EDO) and all my files are FLAC.

When I switch from 24/96 to 24/192 my DAC's input signal LED begins to flicker.

I'm using a 6 ft Blue Jeans digital coax cable. I'll try switching cables but like I said it used to work with S/PDIF straight to DAC.
    Last edited by Turnandcough; 2012-10-31 at 17:17.

The lock light is on and the 192 light is red. The only sound I get is the odd click here and there. I'm running 7.8(I thought this version was the only one that worked with EDO) and all my files are FLAC.

I'm using a 6 ft Blue Jeans digital coax cable. I'll try switching cables but like I said it used to work with S/PDIF straight to DAC.
    EDO works with 7.7.2. It only needed 7.8 if your were converting your FLAC to WAV on the server side rather than the TOUCH side. For the life of me, I really don't understand why one would want to convert from TOUCH USB to S/PDIF instead of using the TOUCH's S/PDIF. (by the way, the answer is not jitter). But we're all adults, so I hope you get it set up the way you want. And I'm not being sarcastic. I really do. But I really don't understand either.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    EDO works with 7.7.2. It only needed 7.8 if your were converting your FLAC to WAV on the server side rather than the TOUCH side. For the life of me, I really don't understand why one would want to convert from TOUCH USB to S/PDIF instead of using the TOUCH's S/PDIF. (by the way, the answer is not jitter). But we're all adults, so I hope you get it set up the way you want. And I'm not being sarcastic. I really do. But I really don't understand either.
    I read that the Touch' USB output was better than its S/PDIF output. I'm very curious by nature and I needed to find out for myself.

It's not night and day but I can say that adding the V-Link in the mix HAS improved the sound somewhat. It's just a bit more rounded and easier on the ears. Expectation bias? I don't think so.

I also keep reading that a computer hooked up to a decent USB DAC or USB converter/DAC bests the Touch hooked up to the same DAC by a decent margin so my next step will be to connect the V-Link to a PC.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on an expensive USB converter just to satisfy my curiosity. I forget who, but someone on Computer Audiophile did a review of the V-Link 192 and rated its sound quality to be about 90% of the best out there. So I when I saw it for 1/2 price on Music Direct I went for it.

Hope that explains my "irrational" behavior. I'm not being sarcastic either.

I read that the Touch' USB output was better than its S/PDIF output. I'm very curious by nature and I needed to find out for myself.

It's not night and day but I can say that adding the V-Link in the mix HAS improved the sound somewhat. It's just a bit more rounded and easier on the ears. Expectation bias? I don't think so.

I also keep reading that a computer hooked up to a decent USB DAC or USB converter/DAC bests the Touch hooked up to the same DAC by a decent margin so my next step will be to connect the V-Link to a PC.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on an expensive USB converter just to satisfy my curiosity. I forget who, but someone on Computer Audiophile did a review of the V-Link 192 and rated its sound quality to be about 90% of the best out there. So I when I saw it for 1/2 price on Music Direct I went for it.

fair enough and I appreciate the detailed explanation. I disagree with much of what you've read but appreciate the desire to personally test things. I do this in my day job so I very much appreciate this desire (although nothing I do is related to audio or electronics, so on this topic I'm just an interested amateur). I'd personally recommend that you stay away from Computer Audiophile. I've seen some very stupid and plainly wrong stuff there.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

@garym, my expectation bias was totally confounded

As you could see from previous posts (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post696834), I was telling everyone that the scheme of Touch -> V-Link -> DAC was technically not promising.

That was before I tried it anyway.

All I can say is that in my living room with the particular combination of DAC, amp and speakers, I am finding a rather substantial improvement in imaging over not having the USB to SPDIF converter there. I am fully aware this shouldn't be happening. I suspect it may have something to do with galvanic isolation, but I didn't get the same apparent benefit from using Toslink as my connection.

Irrational perhaps, but at least it is not blue dot, or CD-in-the-freezer territory (IMO)!

My engineer's brain tells me I should spend more effort on DSP room mode correction that chasing down the last word in digital interface purity, but my musician's brain tells me "just play another track leave things as they are!"
    ----------------------

DAC lock light indicates poor frequency calibration in one of your devices

Okay, it looks as if you are getting 192kHz output to the V-Link, but that the DAC can't lock onto it for some reason. The Touch can't influence the sample rate used by the V-Link since it uses asynchronous mode, so it seems that the clock in your DAC and the clock in the V-Link are too far apart for lock to occur reliably. Either that, or the cable is bad.

You could verify this by using a computer to output 192kHz material to the V-Link 192 via USB2.0. If this doesn't work either (which is what I expect), then you have to figure out whether it is your DAC or your V-link that is offset in frequency in 192kHz mode. Without instrumentation, that's going to be difficult!
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    are you aware that the spdif out can be improved by changing clocks/capacitors and removing chips eg Fidelity Audio mods ? so that indicates that the Touch spdif out is not perfect as seems to be the implication.

So given that the spdif out is not perfect and can be improved upon then another way to get improved sound is to bypass it by using asynch usb. It's not rocket science to understand how that might benefit the sound.

I don't understand why you would post in such absolute terms about things you have no experience of and what business do you have in telling people what not to read.
    Last edited by SBGK; 2012-11-01 at 01:25.

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    are you aware that the spdif out can be improved by changing clocks/capacitors and removing chips eg Fidelity Audio mods ? so that indicates that the Touch spdif out is not perfect as seems to be the implication.

So given that the spdif out is not perfect and can be improved upon then another way to get improved sound is to bypass it by using asynch usb. It's not rocket science to understand how that might benefit the sound.

I don't understand why you would post in such absolute terms about things you have no experience of and what business do you have in telling people what not to read.
    Of course, no S/PDIF out is "perfect". S/PDIF has its issues. Whether its limitations create an audible difference in most environments is the question. I know a bit about all of this, I was just pointing out that my professional expertise was not as an engineer. And as a public forum, I'll post my opinion just like everyone else. Regarding "reading" recommendations, I said that I "personally" recommend staying away from certain sources known widely to have bad information. Note the term "personally"...one is free to ignore my recommendation.

Async USB may be better when the DAC has the corresponding USB input, but USB spdiff converter is not the same thing you have not removed spdiff out of the picture at all , hence the whole idea seems a bit off ??

The rationale behind the existence USB/spdiff converters is to provide spdiff where there is none , from some laptop to a dac that does not have usb for example .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html