Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 247 of 248 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 2475
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    OK - before disabling c-3po - can you enable logging to see what processing it is doing ? Alternatively If the files are more than 5-10 mins long - you could do a "ps" and see what LMS subprocesses are active
    c-3po has to use flac to convert to wav, then sox to apply my dynamic range reduction and convert to flac at 48000.
    Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -b 24 --buffer 131072 --multi-threaded - compand 0.3,1 6:-70,-60,-50 -5 -90 0.2 rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000
    There's nothing abnormal on the LMS log, but I could get more info by turning on more logging. I'll be rather surprised if the problem is at the LMS end, since it drives my laptop in the same way with no problem at all. But I'll give it a go in a while. The Touch log (on /var/log/messages) was difficult to interpret, but I think there were some network timeouts. I have, for now, done a full reset on the Touch and now just use it just as a controller for my laptop and use bluetooth from there to my headphones.

So why don't I just use the laptop, or use a mobile to control it instead? I'm trying to stop using the internet so much, so not having it on my lap, or next to me, helps reduce the distraction

One wonderful thing about LMS is the incredible variety of ways it can be used. Long may it still continue, with your and others help of course!
    LMS 7.9.2 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    c-3po has to use flac to convert to wav, then sox to apply my dynamic range reduction and convert to flac at 48000.
    Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -b 24 --buffer 131072 --multi-threaded - compand 0.3,1 6:-70,-60,-50 -5 -90 0.2 rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000
    There's nothing abnormal on the LMS log, but I could get more info by turning on more logging. I'll be rather surprised if the problem is at the LMS end, since it drives my laptop in the same way with no problem at all. But I'll give it a go in a while. The Touch log (on /var/log/messages) was difficult to interpret, but I think there were some network timeouts. I have, for now, done a full reset on the Touch and now just use it just as a controller for my laptop and use bluetooth from there to my headphones.

So why don't I just use the laptop, or use a mobile to control it instead? I'm trying to stop using the internet so much, so not having it on my lap, or next to me, helps reduce the distraction

One wonderful thing about LMS is the incredible variety of ways it can be used. Long may it still continue, with your and others help of course!
    OK so since output is in Flac - it is unlikeltyy to be a "simple" network load due to PCM issue.
    Touch reporting "timouts" implies - LMS is not replying or data is being lost on the network.
    IIRC If you enable player.source to INFO it will log problems which stop playback - especially something like "output underrun" from player.
    Does this problem with other USB audio output devices such as cheap usb output adapter ? I'm wondering whether the headphone USB driver is somehow hanging up the USB bus (which I think has some shared comms with ethernet)
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-10-08 at 06:26.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    OK so since output is in Flac - it is unlikeltyy to be a "simple" network load due to PCM issue.
    Touch reporting "timouts" implies - LMS is not replying or data is being lost on the network.
    IIRC If you enable player.source to INFO it will log problems which stop playback - especially something like "output underrun" from player.
    Does this problem with other USB audio output devices such as cheap usb output adapter ? I'm wondering whether the headphone USB driver is somehow hanging up the USB bus (which I think has some shared comms with ethernet)
    Thanks. I haven't got any other USB devices I can think of, other than my main hifi (and that works better and at higher quality with coax).

I've tried some logging, but as is usual with such tests, when one sits down to attempt some really well organised tests, the problem doesn't appear. I'll do some more test this evening.
    LMS 7.9.2 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Thanks. I haven't got any other USB devices I can think of, other than my main hifi (and that works better and at higher quality with coax).

I've tried some logging, but as is usual with such tests, when one sits down to attempt some really well organised tests, the problem doesn't appear. I'll do some more test this evening.
    I think I have managed to reduce the hiccups to a tolerable level (1 in 3 nights listening). I looked at everything I could think of that might be putting a load on the Touch.

First, I made sure I was sending the least compressed flacs (0) at the required rate (24/48000) to the Touch so that it has little decompression and no resampling to do.
    Then I turned off the Touch display once playing.
    Then I looked at what else might be interfering, and think I may have found the main culprit. In a previous usage the Touch was used in a separate room on its own (with no network), so had an SD card in it and a local LMS running. It turned out that the local LMS was still running. Using ssh to get in and have a look this didn't seem to take much cpu, but did take loads of memory (about 40%). Stopping the local LMS and removing the SD card seems to have stabilised things so as to make using the Touch and EDO worthwhile for my purpose.

Thanks for the useful comments.

Dsf playback rme adi2 dac

I recently connected my touch to the rme using usb. Working flawlessly up to 192khz.
    Unfortunately I have a couple of .dsf files in my collection. When attempting to play those back I get just random noise. Dsd player plugin is activates, dsd playback in rme too.
    When connecting via spdif .dsf files play ok.
    Could anybody enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by michel View Post
    I recently connected my touch to the rme using usb. Working flawlessly up to 192khz.
    Unfortunately I have a couple of .dsf files in my collection. When attempting to play those back I get just random noise. Dsd player plugin is activates, dsd playback in rme too.
    When connecting via spdif .dsf files play ok.
    Could anybody enlighten me?
    Hi Michel.

Do you mean spdif from the SBTouch?

And have you checked this page in LMS Settings

Name:  aasbTouch.png
Views: 325
Size:  30.5 KB

That's about all the help I can think of

ronnie

I think I have managed to reduce the hiccups to a tolerable level (1 in 3 nights listening). I looked at everything I could think of that might be putting a load on the Touch.

First, I made sure I was sending the least compressed flacs (0) at the required rate (24/48000) to the Touch so that it has little decompression and no resampling to do.
    Then I turned off the Touch display once playing.
    Then I looked at what else might be interfering, and think I may have found the main culprit. In a previous usage the Touch was used in a separate room on its own (with no network), so had an SD card in it and a local LMS running. It turned out that the local LMS was still running. Using ssh to get in and have a look this didn't seem to take much cpu, but did take loads of memory (about 40%). Stopping the local LMS and removing the SD card seems to have stabilised things so as to make using the Touch and EDO worthwhile for my purpose.

Thanks for the useful comments.
    Unfortunately my optimism was misplaced. I still get random drop-outs and stoppages, sometimes many playing hours apart. Given that Triode has long gone from these parts I think I have to assume that EDO and my headphone DAC aren't quite good enough partners. I could use analogue out from the Touch, but the headphones don't support some of the features I need using that.

So I've given up with this solution. Fortunately, LMS still being such a lively beast, I have other solutions. I shall, for now at least, use the Touch as a mere controller for a laptop running squeezelite and using bluetooth to drive my headphones.

Ralphy - Looking at the github for edi at https://github.com/ralph-irving/Enha...e/master/files I notice that the edo-repo.xml is for version 0.9. Could it be updated for version 0.10? I think I know how to do it, but am never quite sure what sha level to use.

I like to have a local repo for key plugins and applets as a backup.

Ralphy - Looking at the github for edi at https://github.com/ralph-irving/Enha...e/master/files I notice that the edo-repo.xml is for version 0.9. Could it be updated for version 0.10? I think I know how to do it, but am never quite sure what sha level to use.

I like to have a local repo for key plugins and applets as a backup.
    Done.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Done.
    Thanks very much