Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 239 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    To add to the list of fully functioning DACs using Triodes plugin...

Lavry DA-10 coax & optical up to 24/196 (has no USB to try)

Bob
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    1 x Boom
    1 x Intel-NUC server/squeezelite running LMS 7.91 on Windows 10
    1 X Odroid-XU4 server/squeezelite running LMS 7.91 on Ubuntu 16.04
    WaveIO USB into Lavry DA-10 DAC
    Starfish Pre-amp : Based on NAIM NAC 72
    Heavily modified NAIM NAP 250 Power-amp
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Linn Isobarik DMS

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    I'm not really sure it is for you - its main target was usb audio and 192k support. By default it won't do anything differnet from the output routing function of TT3 - all it will do is send the audio to the digital output and not the analog output. This bypasses a software layer and will mean that some internet radio stations don't play at the right rate if your dac can't support them.
    This is slightly off topic, but the unintended side effects of installing your app are that, to me, digital output via spdif now sounds better than the 'vanilla' out-of-the-box SBT digital out. For what it's worth, I'm enthusiastically recommending this upgrade to anyone who's using digital output to an outboard DAC. All formats seem to benefit from the upgrade (including lossy mp3).

Plus, the installation couldn't be easier Thanks Triode -- very professional job!

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    To help me narrow down these issues can you confirm whether you had previously had the UsbAudioOutput applet (usb experiment tread) installed. Otherwise have you done a firmware upgrade since installing the Enhanced Digital Ouput applet?

I can see one potential reboot problem with usb2 dacs, but want to check which other ones may exist. I'll release an update to try to avoid them.
    Hello Triode

I can confirm that:

1. I did not have the UsbAudioOutput applet installed
    2. I did the firmware upgrade for the D33 prior to installing the Enhanced Digital Output applet.

Rgds

Seems to work USB-wise with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC. Without the no-hub workaround.
    I am also happy that your app doesn't kill the ability of the SBT to charge a PS3 controller lol [I think every device in my HT room has USB port(s), yet only the PS3 and SBT will charge them].

I cannot see why anyone would actually *use* this DAC with USB input, unless extremely desperate (which equates to the amount of effort Bryston put into it, I guess their soothsayers were not up to par). However I will still give it a listening chance, you never know...

Thanks for your work.
    Last edited by cfraser; 2012-04-11 at 13:28.

Smile

triode,

your digital out mod has made a fantastic difference to the sound quality I am getting via sp/dif to a benchmark dac1 so it must be doing something beneficial for sp/dif.

You say these mods are aimed at usb dacs, does this mean there are further gains to be had if you did a sp/dif specific mod ?

Also, has anyone compared the quality of your mods via usb dac and via sp/dif to dac ie if I get an asynchronous usb dac will it sound even better ?

Anyway, congratulations again. I hope you get to appreciate how good the digital out to sp/dif is now with your mods, it truly is breathtaking.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    Also, has anyone compared the quality of your mods via usb dac and via sp/dif to dac ie if I get an asynchronous usb dac will it sound even better ?
    You cannot do that at this point. You must choose the USB DAC (or the USB input) and leave it connected/selected. Though I read what triode said, this point did not make an "impact" until I tried it...

Edit: most of the async USB DACs that handle >48kHz are pretty good to start with IME. You will probably hear a noticeable diff no matter what bitrate you use them with.
    Last edited by cfraser; 2012-04-11 at 14:04.

Thanks for enabling these great features!

While I'm waiting for my long term DAC (Audiolab MDAC), I've tested this plugin with an alternative USB DAC, the mighty Behringer UCA202.

It works great, even without a USB hub...

This being said there is little point in using this DAC as it only supports 32,44.1 and 48kHz sample rates and is of the adaptive type (its input is supposedly asynchronous). The DAC of the SBT is more capable and is likely to sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    This is exciting news! I don't presently have any 192k files with which to test this yet, though.
    Check here : http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-down...testfiles.aspx
    Tŕte Ó FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch
    All SB controlled via VortexBox server aka The Musical Box

Has anybody mentioned (or even found) that when set up for USB DAC that the "now playing" display for internet radio can get totally out of sync with what's playing? The audio is correct though.

I realise IR is not what this hi-res app is meant for, but I do use IR a lot and thought my crappy (USB-wise) DAC sounded pretty good with it, considering. Possibly people with good USB DACs might notice the same anomaly, it's not always like that, just sometimes it goes there.

Edit: I am running stock SB firmware plus this app, no other SW mods.
    Last edited by cfraser; 2012-04-11 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
    Has anybody mentioned (or even found) that when set up for USB DAC that the "now playing" display for internet radio can get totally out of sync with what's playing? The audio is correct though.

I realise IR is not what this hi-res app is meant for, but I do use IR a lot and thought my crappy (USB-wise) DAC sounded pretty good with it, considering. Possibly people with good USB DACs might notice the same anomaly, it's not always like that, just sometimes it goes there.

Edit: I am running stock SB firmware plus this app, no other SW mods.
    Don't see what would cause this as the changes are completely unrelated to the squeezeplay application or display code. I suspect this is unrelated.