Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAX Files

AAX Files

Why does LMS not support AAX Files ?
    CD -> dBpoweramp -> FLAC
    6x Boom | 2x Touch | 1x SotM sMS-100/SOtM mBPS-d2S/SOtM dx-USB HD | Linn Klimax DS/1
    GBit Ethernet + WLAN 802.11n/g/b/a
    QNAP TS-670

Gruß
    Friedl

A guess

The DRM ? Historically not much of DRM support in SS/SC/SBS/LMS

before iTunes removed DRM it did not not support iTunes files either .

"AAX files can be played by iTunes and are also supported by the Apple iPod and the Amazon Kindle 2. However, before playing the files, users need an Audible.com account, which requires a subscription fee."

The internet would be full of workaraounds I assume
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Well, I don't care about DRM. I dont want to copy the aax files a hundred times, simply want to put them on my server and play with my squeezeboxes.
    Workarounds exist, for shure, but it would be much easier if LMS supports the aax fileformat.
    CD -> dBpoweramp -> FLAC
    6x Boom | 2x Touch | 1x SotM sMS-100/SOtM mBPS-d2S/SOtM dx-USB HD | Linn Klimax DS/1
    QNAP TS-670

Gruß
    Friedl

Quote Originally Posted by Friedl58 View Post
    Well, I don't care about DRM. I dont want to copy the aax files a hundred times, simply want to put them on my server and play with my squeezeboxes.
    Workarounds exist, for shure, but it would be much easier if LMS supports the aax fileformat.
    Unfortunately, it is what it is. This is the flaw in DRM. DRM is controlled by forces outside of Logitech.

I found my personal workaround.
    Burn a virtual AUDIO-CD with iTunes then rip this virtual CD with dBpoweramp.
    OMG
    CD -> dBpoweramp -> FLAC
    QNAP TS-670

Gruß
    Friedl

Quote Originally Posted by Friedl58 View Post
    I found my personal workaround.
    Burn a virtual AUDIO-CD with iTunes then rip this virtual CD with dBpoweramp.
    OMG
    Why don't you just convert the files in iTunes to Apple Lossless or whatever audio codec you want? That's what I've done with old iTunes files with DRM, just change the import settings to whatever you want, I use Apple Lossless for music files so they won't degrade anymore, but with audio books that probably won't make that much difference, then right click and choose "covert to Apple Lossless (it will show whatever you choose instead of Apple Lossless if you choose something different). No need to burn a cd, virtual or otherwise, just right click convert.

We don't and almost certainly never will support Audible files. IMO I can't see the point. Use your iPod/iPhone for audio books, who listens to books on their living room stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    We don't and almost certainly never will support Audible files. IMO I can't see the point. Use your iPod/iPhone for audio books, who listens to books on their living room stereo?
    .. but certainly in the bedside boom or radio
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

And audiobooks in general are not so well supported in the squeeze universe I would use it far more if it where . And yes in the main hifi too.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Everyone who wants to.

My mother used to listen to audiobooks (on tape) when I was growing up while she would work on her crafts. It was her form of talk radio.

You response about using an iPod or iPhone for audiobooks is like telling some one to listen to their ITunes files on an IPod or Phone rather than the living room stereo.

to the OP... I'd probably try to convert the file to a format that is supported (MP3, etc) and make sure you tag the files with a genre that would make it easy to know you are looking at AudioBooks or something along that line when browsing.