Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Starting LMS on Debian

I have successfully (and to my surprise and pleasure - easily) installed LMS 7.7.1 on my debian system. However, I don't want it to start every time I boot - I want to start & stop it manually.

I found a command to disable the auto-start, ie

sudo update-rc.d -n logitechmediaserver disable

and I can now manually start and stop the service via:

sudo service logitechmediaserver start
    sudo service logitechmediaserver stop

That all works fine.

All I want to do now is create an icon on my (xfce) desktop to start & stop LMS, rather than tediously typing the commands every time.

So I created two 'launcher's containing the above two commands. The 'stop' one works fine. Asks me for my password, and stops LMS. The 'start' one also asks me for my password, but then nothing happens. I've tried everything I can think of. I put the command in a .sh script, I made sure the 'run in a terminal' option is on. Nothing.

When I manually start LMS from a terminal window it does output a few lines saying it is trying to stop itself before starting, and I wonder if that's what is stopping the launcher from working.

I have had discussions on the debian forum but run out of ideas - it seems to be a feature of LMS.

Any ideas out there?
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

For what it's worth ... I have a desktop .sh script which works fine to start LMS in Ubuntu.

Maybe you need to have both stop & start in that order - not just start itself. Put a sleep 2 secs between the commands. Try that.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    For what it's worth ... I have a desktop .sh script which works fine to start LMS in Ubuntu.

Maybe you need to have both stop & start in that order - not just start itself. Put a sleep 2 secs between the commands. Try that.
    What does your script contain?
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post

That was very nearly the answer. In fact, the problem seems to have been that the terminal window was closing too quickly.

In the .sh file I added a 'sleep 3s' after the start command, and all was resolved.

Thanks for the hint!