Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Do Folder Shortcuts Work?

I've read that ealier versions of LMS supported the use of folder shortcuts. That is, I could put shortcuts to folders in a single folder, and have Squeezebox Server scan that single folder and find all the files in thefolders represented by the shortcuts. Doe LMS 7.7.x support this feature? I tried doing that with several folders of photos, and it did not find any of the photos. Or, is there some other explanation, such as LMS 7.7.x supports shortcuts for music but not for photos or movies?

I know that it still works for music folders. I don't scan any photos or video, so couldn't say if it works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by teherder View Post
    That is, I could put shortcuts to folders in a single folder, and have Squeezebox Server scan that single folder and find all the files in thefolders represented by the shortcuts.
    Side comment: I don't know about folder shortcuts, but do be careful with file shortcuts: If the scanner finds the same file twice (say once via a real file name and once via a shortcut) then it may think it has created two track entries in the music database, whereas it has in fact only created one track entry...
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Permission issue with shortcut or target ?

Is it an external drive .

Another honest mistake, windows shortcuts between folders on you linux based NAS ,windows explorer would understand but not the NAS or LMS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Folder shortcuts do work. It caught me out until I realised. I kept wondering why the scanner was scanning still my NAS even though I changed the directory to My music on my windows account laptop hard drive.

I had placed a shortcut to the NAS music in there !!!! Doh !!!!
    LMS running on QNAP NAS TS219P+, multiple Logitech Touch's and Radios, SqueezePlay on various PC's, DBPowerAmp, MP3Tag, FLAC