Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Got a Squeezebox Touch for Xmas, couple of questions

Hey guys,

I got myself a Squeezebox Touch for Christmas and have a few questions.

1. What type of sound system set ups are you using with your Squeezebox Touch? Currently I am undecided between a self powered 2.1 system that can plug directly into the headphone jack on the back of the squeezebox OR buying an amp and bookshelf speakers (the much more expensive solution).

2. Is the Logitech Media Server the sole tool we can use to access our music for the Squeezebox Touch to play it?

3. I have multiple PC's in my house and I'd like to dump the music that is currently stored on one PC into a network folder so that any PC in the house can access the Logitech Media Server and play the music shared across my home PC's. Is this possible? I notice in the Logitech Media Server settings where you select the directories for it to scan and select your music, it only provides local folders as options, C: drive, D: drive etc.

Thanks!

Don't have a Touch myself, but have a few other S'boxes.
    You can use either option. In terms of using self-powered speakers, get a adapter to connect to the RCA jacks on Touch rather than headphone out - should have better sound.
    You should be able to run the server on the pc where your music is stored, the you could use squeezeplay, softsqueeze or squeezeslave as a player on the other pc's to access your library from there.
    You can also use mysqueze.com as a server for your Touch, but you won't have access to your local music files from there.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueblade View Post
    1. What type of sound system set ups are you using with your Squeezebox Touch? Currently I am undecided between a self powered 2.1 system that can plug directly into the headphone jack on the back of the squeezebox OR buying an amp and bookshelf speakers (the much more expensive solution).
    That really depends on your personal choice (sound quality) and budget. You can go from a small system with powered speakers, like the Audio Engine A2, to a full sized hifi system connected through an external DAC.
    Mine is connected to an external DAC on my main hifi system.

2. Is the Logitech Media Server the sole tool we can use to access our music for the Squeezebox Touch to play it?
    Besides LMS you also have the option of running TinySBS (LMS server inside the Touch) and connect a USB hard drive to the Touch. As the word suggests, TinySBS is a small version of LMS (less features and less powerfull) but it let’s you listen to your music library.
    I have a NAS where all my audio files are stored. My NAS is also running LMS.

3. I have multiple PC's in my house and I'd like to dump the music that is currently stored on one PC into a network folder so that any PC in the house can access the Logitech Media Server and play the music shared across my home PC's. Is this possible? I notice in the Logitech Media Server settings where you select the directories for it to scan and select your music, it only provides local folders as options, C: drive, D: drive etc.
    You can either use one of your existing PC’s to run LMS, or use a NAS (no PC’s need to be running with this option) or connect a hard drive directly to the Touch and use TinySBS.
    You can also use the UNC to the location of your music (ex: \\MyServer\Music\) instead of the drive letter.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Hey guys,

I got myself a Squeezebox Touch for Christmas and have a few questions.

1. What type of sound system set ups are you using with your Squeezebox Touch?
    If you want pictures have a look here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19817
    otherwise people often describe their setup in their signature
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D