Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox can no longer connect to my server

Hi,

I've been happily using my squeezebox for a few weeks but yesterday I encountered a problem. I can no longer list my music. When I go to "My Music" on my Touch it says "Connecting..." and eventually times out saying it cannot connect to the server.

I can connect to the server from my laptop, which is on the same wireless network as the Touch, and browse my music and even control my Touch from there. My phone app also works fine too. If I go to "Server Info" on the touch it shows that it can ping the server and connect on port 3483, but port 9000 is not showing as connected. If I run the network diagnostics from the Touch, it just hangs forever after giving a message to the effect that the connection to port 3483 is OK and I have to unplug the device to reboot.

As far as I am aware nothing in my setup has changed to lead to this problem. I've tried all the standard stuff like rebooting the server, disabling my firewall, rebooting my wireless router and the Touch but to no avail. I have also run a software update on the Touch since the problem occurred to see if that would fix it but that has made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas what else I can try? Below is some system info from the server and Touch:

Server:
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33735 @ Mon Nov 28 16:44:47 MST 2011
    Hostname: rincewind.home
    Server IP Address: 192.168.1.64
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.14.2 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 1

Player:
    Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
    Firmware: 7.7.1-r9558
    Player IP Address: 192.168.1.78
    Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:23:09:52
    Wireless Signal Strength: 85%

Quote Originally Posted by mdp View Post
    I can connect to the server from my laptop, which is on the same wireless network as the Touch, and browse my music and even control my Touch from there.....
    I'm not following, if you can control the Touch from the LMS web UI (laptop viewing LMS web UI on your linux server) then the Touch must be connected to LMS, no?

Or are you saying you also run a separate instance of LMS on the laptop itself and only here can your Touch connect?

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    I'm not following, if you can control the Touch from the LMS web UI (laptop viewing LMS web UI on your linux server) then the Touch must be connected to LMS, no?

Or are you saying you also run a separate instance of LMS on the laptop itself and only here can your Touch connect?
    From my laptop or phone, which are on the same wireless network as the Touch, I can connect to the web UI running on my server and from there I can see my music library and select tracks and play them on my Touch. This would indicate to me that the server is available and also, as you say the Touch can connect to it in some way. However if I choose "My Music" on the Touch it tries to connect to the server for about 30 seconds and then gives up saying it can't connect to the server. Also selecting "Now Playing" on the Touch does nothing even when there is something playing.

It sounds weird to me. I would try a factory reset of the touch.

Solved

OK...that's a bit embarrassing. After running Wireshark to try to diagnose the problem further, I discovered that it was indeed a firewall problem. It appears hitting the "Disable" button in the default Fedora firewall configuration GUI tool, does not actually disable the firewall until you hit "Apply" (even though it says "Firewall disabled" in red at the bottom)