• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brgds
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by SBGK

new clocks were fitted and
    caps fitted were 5 x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v
    SBGK, could you pls advise on where those caps are fitted, or a picture?

thanks,
    Andy

Comment

• andyjayh
      • Feb 2006

Great feedback on the Fidelity Audio mods SBGK I've read many good things about these mods and it seems like your experience backs this up.
      Lounge - SB Touch with TT3.0, DC cap mod, XBMC ASRock, Proceed AVP2, CinePro 3K6, Monitor Audio GR20's, 10TB unRAID
      Workshop - SB3, T-Amp, JBL C1's
      Office - SB Touch, CLabs 2.1

Comment

• SBGK
        • Dec 2011

the the 3rd picture down in the link below has the fidelity audio mods, note a cap has been replaced at the power supply top left, I also have an extra 1 on the clock board.

note - the Touch came back from Fidelity Audio without wireless functionality ie not even an option to select wireless and there were dents in the facia. Am speaking with them, but they don't seem to want to accept responsibility for the fascia damage. Not sure if the wireless issue is a result of their mods, but as i don't use wireless it is not an issue

here are my settings copied from the TT3.0 thread

final update to settings

here are my mods

warning - this is for advanced audiophile systems, 95% of the people on this forum won't gain any benefit as their system is just not capable of resolving the details that would show a difference.

power conditioner,linear ps, meicord ethernet cable, TT3.0 all options enabled, tt -k, SBT default priorities & buffer, hardwire coax, toslink removed, Fidelity Audio level 1 mods, fidelizer audiophile, process lasso priority and core affinity settings. wav files only.

the level 1 mods have really transformed the sound, it is still difficult to believe.

Hope TT4.0 has something up it's sleeve.

fidelizer sets the priority of squeezeserver to idle, when it should be normal and it sets the affinity to 0, not good. to get round this I have configured process lasso so that squeezeserver has a default priority setting of Normal and affinity setting of 1,2,3, (fidelizer sets it to 0, wtf), all other processes have affinity 0 and no default process priority. Process lasso also has a mediaplayer classification setting, so have set squeezeserver to have multimedia classification (has a very nice effect)
        The start up process is start pc, start fidelizer, start squeezeserver. Process Lasso starts with the system start. then tt -k. these are the best settings I have had. you are free to try them or castigate them as per your whim, but i'll stand by them in any listening test.

re John Swenson's screen removal mod, which he highly recommended, I have found that the same effect can be achieved by taking screen off the front (but still connected to the board and swivelling it 90` so it faces downwards, this way the emf producing part is furthest away from the sensitive bits, does make quite a difference. shall post some pictures in the diy section.

to those who say digital is digital and it is perfect end to end and these tweaks have no affect, you can try this experiment. if you have an ethernet connected touch hold a magnet close to the ethernet cable while the Touch is playing, now explain why there is a change in the sound. undoubtedly the bits are getting to the Touch because it is ethernet and yet there is a change in the sound.

here are the pictures

bon chance mes ami
        Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• HumanMedia
          • Mar 2011

Interesting - seems like they have moved the position of two of the decoupling caps since the photo they have on their website.

From SBGK's photos, it seems as though one cap has been moved to the clock board itself joining the other two and one seems to have moved close to the power input lines.

It seems like they do provide for DIY-ers by providing the clocks and caps separately at their Ebay store:

But no 'kit' of required parts for DIY-ers, or instructions. (Yes I've asked them but no response)
          If they were closer to where I'm located, I'd get them to do it in a flash, but Im half a world away and can't be without my SBT for any length of time.
          Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-16, 04:17.

Comment

• andyjayh
            • Feb 2006

Fantastic write up SBGK much appreciated and useful pics also. Loving the case btw!! I have been thinking about re-casing mine for a while now to get better access and fit some PSU regs etc but nothing as exotic as yours, lol

Interesting your feedback on the difference this level 1 mod makes, inspires me to get on with some modding myself. As HM points out FA do supply the parts directly if you fancy a crack yourself, not sure about it without some for of guidance though. Have no problem with handling a soldering iron but would like to know where to put them so to speak.

Also waiting to see what TT4.0 brings, been very impressed so far and following your mods in the other thread. Decided to keep mine as standard from Soundcheck for now as I haven't played with the spdif output much to date, only using the Touch DAC output.

Once again thanks for your time for posting this info.
            Lounge - SB Touch with TT3.0, DC cap mod, XBMC ASRock, Proceed AVP2, CinePro 3K6, Monitor Audio GR20's, 10TB unRAID
            Workshop - SB3, T-Amp, JBL C1's
            Office - SB Touch, CLabs 2.1

Comment

• UV101
              • Mar 2010

?

Personally I've never had a problem with Fidelity Audio and have become friendly with the owner over the past 5 years. He's a good guy, extremely enthusiastic about what he does. When business is quiet, he'll spend more time explaining things than usual. Following his positive press in
              Hifi world mag this month (feb 2012) he's a little more busy than usual!!

I sincerely hope that you are able to resolve any problem, as I say he's a good guy ad not just in it for your money!!!
              Last edited by UV101; 2012-02-01, 13:34. Reason: Correction to information

Comment

• HumanMedia
                • Mar 2011

Roger that.

From the Audio Fidelity site:
                1x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v decoupling capacitor (Oscillator_1 3.3V)
                1x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v decoupling capacitor (Oscillator_2 3.3V)
                1x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v decoupling capacitor (Clock 5V)
                1x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v decoupling capacitor (USB psu)
                1x Sanyo Oscon SEPC 470uF 6.3v decoupling capacitor (Digital 5V)

2 caps are definitely for each of the new clock oscillators

1 cap has been moved to the new clock board "Clock 5V"
                But is it attached to the clock board or to the main pcb board?
                Is it bypassing the 74LVCU04A chip at location U14 - and actually attached underneath the new clock board? Note that caad bypasses the 74LVCU04A with two caps in parallel - a 100nF U2J and a 100uF polymer cap. I wonder how the clock board fits in? does it fit into the sockets left by the old oscillators or piggy back or replace the 74LVCU04A chip?

1 cap is replacing the existing E cal 33uF cap found below L7and to the right of TP67 (is this the digital 5V?) Note that caad replaces this cap with a 100uF polymer SMD.

So where is the last cap on SBGKs board? Is it for the USB power supply?
                SBGK if you can take some better photos of your board it would be very helpful.

Examining caads mods I see more bypass caps, most very small smd modules. Wow. He also bypasses C106, C135, U34 (SPDIF output buffer) and U15 and U33 (Clock switches)

Originally posted by UV101
                Studying SBGK's pic 3 it looks like 3 of the SEPC caps are on the micro clock. One will be on the regulator and the other 2 are local decoupling for the individual oscillators. The final cap is on the main unit rail.

In the fidelity audio pic, there are only 2 on the clock. There is one on the main unit rail and 1 for local decoupling for both rails on the dac chip itself (left of the DAC chip) the final cap (right of the DAC chip) is post reg (cant rememeber if thats the 3.3v reg or the 5v reg).

Not sure what order things were done in but fidelity audio tend to do things in a "bespoke" manor. If SBGK's unit went to them with the I2s mod fitted or were advised it was going to be done, they wouldn't have fitted the 2 caps the the dac chip (as its not used) and tailored the package to suit.
                Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-16, 12:36.

Comment

• UV101
                  • Mar 2010

?
                  Last edited by UV101; 2012-02-01, 13:33.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                    • Mar 2011

Caads Mods Summary (Part One)

Supplied pdf image from Caad: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attach...7&d=1312026081

Component located at U14 - 74LVCU04A hex inverter chip (14 pin chip)
                    Modification - Add 2 decoupling caps (100nF U2J SMD and a 100uF polymer cap) in parallel linking pin 14 (Vcc) and pin 7 (gnd) of the 74LVCU04A chip. Use copper tape to connect the pads.
                    Note - ONLY use SMD components for decoupling. Do NOT use leaded because 1mm of the lead will introduce around 1nH and this will increasee the ripple between the Pin 7 and Pin 14. It would Be a good idea to replace the U14 hex inverter with single inverter Gates (no buffered must Be used as the U14 already is. When using single gate inverter instead of a hex inverter have advantage of very short bonding wires and you will be able to place the 100nf very close between the supply pin and gnd pin.

Before image (from passiondiy.fr):

After image for only a single cap used (from passiondiy.fr):
                    Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-17, 01:15.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                      • Mar 2011

Caads Mods Summary (Part Two)

Component located at C106 and C135 - 10uF 0805 caps
                      Modification - Replace each cap with 47uF to 100uF good quality cap. (eg. Blackgate 47uF HQx)

Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-16, 12:27.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                        • Mar 2011

Caads Mods Summary (Part Three)

Component at U15 and U33 - C97K Clock switches (6 pin chips)
                        Modification - Add 100nF in parallel with a 47uF polymer SMD or Blackgate HQx across middle pins of each switch chip (pins 2 and 5?)

After image (from passiondiy.fr) - note that the second 47uF bypass cap seems to be missing from U15?):
                        Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-16, 12:29.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                          • Mar 2011

Caads Mods Summary (Part Four)

Component Below L7 and to the right of TP67 - Main Digital 5V rail with existing E cal 33uF cap
                          Modification - Replace the existing E cal 33uF cap with a 100uF polymer SMD

Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-16, 12:03.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                            • Mar 2011

Caads Mods Summary (Part Five)

Component at U34 - SPDIF output buffer (5 pin chip)
                            Modification - Add 100nF U2J cap in parallel with a 100uF polymer SMD (or say Black gate 47uF HQx) from pin 1 to 5 of the chip
                            Note - ONLY use SMD components for decoupling. Do NOT use leaded because 1mm of the lead will introduce around 1nH and this will increasee the ripple.

After image (from passiondiy.fr):
                            Last edited by HumanMedia; 2012-01-17, 01:10.

Comment

• UV101
                              • Mar 2010

are those the pics from pssiondiy.fr?
                              I think they've been posted lots of times here unless there is anything new in those?

Comment

• HumanMedia
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by UV101
                                are those the pics from pssiondiy.fr?
                                I think they've been posted lots of times here unless there is anything new in those?
                                Nothing new, but all the info is now grouped together (and not in French)
                                I found myself spending too much time re-referencing the same material from many locations. Now it's all in one spot and summarized.

Comment

Working...