Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SB3 connects to server, but doesn't play the stream

I've enjoyed my SB3 for years... But now I'm stuck. HELP!

Problem: SB3 'talks' fine with SBS /LMS --- it makes wireless connection, menus all work... Basically everything is great except that the selected song will not play / stream; progress bar is stuck at zero and time remaining is stuck at total time for the track. Viewed through the web controller on PC, the song is playing to completion and advancing to next track. Seems like some kind of port or protocol issue, but I don't know how that differs for the control functions (which work) and the audio stream (which doesn't work). Problem exists for locally served music and for internet. Just for clues, I tried my BD player which is networked through SB3 to wireless -- it does not see internet connectivity.

Supporting info: Power Converter failed last week and was replaced just prior to having this problem; perhaps irrelevant, but full disclosure. Also, despite the fact that I should know better, after seeing that the new converter brought the SB3 back to life I allowed the server to update to latest version (7.7.1) before playing music. Realizing that new server SW could be a factor, I uninstalled and loaded 7.7.0 assuming that was previously installed version. Most recently I've reverted to SBS 7.6.1, but they all act the same relative to the stated problem.

Any suggestions from those who may have seen this would be much appreciated. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    I've enjoyed my SB3 for years... But now I'm stuck. HELP!

Problem: SB3 'talks' fine with SBS /LMS --- it makes wireless connection, menus all work... Basically everything is great except that the selected song will not play / stream; progress bar is stuck at zero and time remaining is stuck at total time for the track. Viewed through the web controller on PC, the song is playing to completion and advancing to next track. Seems like some kind of port or protocol issue, but I don't know how that differs for the control functions (which work) and the audio stream (which doesn't work). Problem exists for locally served music and for internet. Just for clues, I tried my BD player which is networked through SB3 to wireless -- it does not see internet connectivity.

Supporting info: Power Converter failed last week and was replaced just prior to having this problem; perhaps irrelevant, but full disclosure. Also, despite the fact that I should know better, after seeing that the new converter brought the SB3 back to life I allowed the server to update to latest version (7.7.1) before playing music. Realizing that new server SW could be a factor, I uninstalled and loaded 7.7.0 assuming that was previously installed version. Most recently I've reverted to SBS 7.6.1, but they all act the same relative to the stated problem.

Any suggestions from those who may have seen this would be much appreciated. Thx.
    questions:
    How is SB connected to SBS/LMS Wireless or hardwired
    Does the SB3 work on SBN
    Pioneer Elite N50 main HT rig hardwired to router connected

1st Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

5th Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

connected via wireless
    By "SBN", if you're referring to what was mysqueezebox, then yes (no streaming). I can look at all the stations, see the song being played...but after buffering, nothing plays.

That might in fact be a result of the power failure. Try a factory and Xilinx reset:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    despite the fact that I should know better, I allowed the server to update to latest version (7.7.1) before playing music.
    Ha ha! I know exactly what you mean. I only ever upgrade (with lots of trepidation) if I absolutely must. And when I do, ordinarily a f/w upgrade follows on the players. Did this not happen after you installed 7.7.1? That you needed to hold down BRIGHTNESS? If so, then when you reverted to 7.6.1 you would have needed to hold down BRIGHTNESS again (to overwrite the newer f/w with the old).
    Last edited by ovonrein; 2011-12-29 at 02:47.

Quote Originally Posted by usch View Post
    That might in fact be a result of the power failure. Try a factory and Xilinx reset:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW
    In the course of debugging, I think I've done these... I recently did the Xilinx reset which did not alter the behavior. I will try the full factory reset just to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ovonrein View Post
    Ha ha! I know exactly what you mean. I only ever upgrade (with lots of trepidation) if I absolutely must. And when I do, ordinarily a f/w upgrade follows on the players. Did this not happen after you installed 7.7.1? That you needed to hold down BRIGHTNESS? If so, then when you reverted to 7.6.1 you would have needed to hold down BRIGHTNESS again (to overwrite the newer f/w with the old).
    So, my understanding is that player firmware is automatically updated to the appropriate version for the server software that is installed. (Other forum threads indicated that the firmware is embedded in the server download.) Are you saying that I need to do something special when reverting to an older version?

No, it works the same whether you are updating or downgrading the player firmware version. The brightness option was for the older players *if* it did not get an update prompt or if you wanted to force another update. Also the SB3 player had an option to turn off auto-update, brightness forced the update.

f/w update is automatic? Really? Never happened to me. I always have to press BRIGHTNESS (or, on SqueezeRadio, select some menu item). Also, I don't think that the thing would ever willingly downgrade the f/w. So, if in doubt, hold BRIGHTNESS. There's no harm in it.

Yes, it does. The SB3 automatically updates or downgrades the firmware as soon as it connects to the server, if set to do so.

Press & hold left arrow, enter Setup, scroll to Settings > Auto Update, select ON or OFF.