Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WAV or FLAC

To give you an idea of file size differences between FLAC and WAV, this morning I checked this as my son asked about it last night. For a single album Wav was 663 MB, FLAC compression level 5 314 MB. mp3 at 192kps was 90.1 MB. The big advantage of FLAC over WAV is hard drive usage space and as others have mentioned tag support.

Have fun w your new Touch !

The Squeezebox system is somewhat unique in its architecture, being a networked client/server system. Except when using the Touch's internal server, you always have a network server streaming audio to the player. With FLAC files you have the option of decoding the FLAC on the server and streaming WAV (PCM) to the player. So unlike other systems, there's no reason to ever use WAV files.

Quote Originally Posted by dasmueller View Post
    The big advantage of FLAC over WAV is hard drive usage space and as others have mentioned tag support.
    And if your home network isn't too great, the increased bandwidth demands of WAV can be a problem.

Lossless ain't Lossless - it's more work on the Touch. :)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    and lossless is lossless is lossless ;-)

p.s. I use compression of 5 on my flac files (the default). there have been situations where highly compressed (8) 24/96 files had some problems being decoded on some players. Don't think this is an issue anymore, but the file size difference between 5 and 8 is trivial.
    Well, lossless always equals extra work somewhere. I store all my music in AIFF format, which works well with iTunes and JRMC and pretty much every other player.

But, doing so presents a problem with the Touch. I can't stream hi-res AIFF to the Touch natively, unless I let the server transcode it to FLAC. Redbook files, yes. Hires? Nope, the Touch will put out something that resembles the DAC loosing lock. (Okay, I use an external DAC too. )

This is anything but brilliant. Uncompressed AIFF --> Compressed FLAC ---> Network ---> Uncompress FLAC to PCM on Touch ---> play music.

If anything, I would prefer the server to uncompress everything and stream it as PCM. Might put a small load on the network, but better that than the Touch.

-Paul

WAV/PCM. I don't need all the tagging. The size difference was a good argument ten years ago - today, the difference in audio file sizes are less and less meaningful as storage capacities evolve past multi-TB barriers. PCM is a bedrock standard that has been around for decades. I can always compress it later if I need to. I've got the server hardware and network infrastructure to move around multiple HD video streams, so a small bit rate PCM stream to a 10/100 device is unimportant. In a few more years, typical network speeds and capacities will render the stream rate differences unimportant for everyone else, too. Yes, I am in the minority. YMMV.

Related question

Hi,

I have a lot of wav files untagged so nearly impossible to select from the controller. Can I select the tracks to play from the computer directly?

Or do I need to convert wav files to flac and tag them...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bonniepbilly View Post
    Hi,

I have a lot of wav files untagged so nearly impossible to select from the controller. Can I select the tracks to play from the computer directly?

Or do I need to convert wav files to flac and tag them...

Thanks!
    Use browse music folder under my music on SbS or LMS. . This assumes your wav files are well organized by subdirectories for artist and album.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks, works perfectly on LMS. What's SbS?

In the future you recommend using FLAC? What are the best softs out there to encode and tag in FLAC?
    (for existing wav files I will use Tag&Rename mentioned in the thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by bonniepbilly View Post
    Thanks, works perfectly on LMS. What's SbS?

In the future you recommend using FLAC? What are the best softs out there to encode and tag in FLAC?
    (for existing wav files I will use Tag&Rename mentioned in the thread...)
    Sbs is the name of the pre 7.7 versions.
    I recommend dbpoweramp for ripping. Foobar2000 can convert from wav to flac nicely too. I'm sure others. Winamp for eg. Tag and rename is a tagging software. Doubt it can convert from wav to flac, but don't know
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Yes I mentioned Tag and Rename to tag my wav files.
    Thanks again for your help!