Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Program a preset

Is there any way to program a preset directly? I have a favorite that somehow modifies it's URL inside the radio after I select it, so if I save it as a preset the modified URL is saved. And this doesn't work when I press the preset button to select the station. It's some sort of authorization information.

BTW, the original URL is as follows:

http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Pl...ename=&Optin=#

I assume it does not play from your Favorites either?

It does play from favorites. The URL I provide (in the favorites list) brings up the correct stream, but when I display that URL (using the "+" button), there's some additional information that has been inserted into it. This information seems somewhat random and changes each time I select the station from favorites. If I attempt to save the URL by then making it a preset (press and hold), when I select that preset (press) the radio attempts to make connection with the modified URL, and this fails (authorization).

The modification to the URL is good only for that one time, and is different each time I connect to the stream.

The explanation I got was that it was some sort of authorization having to do with a popup media player.

What I was hoping to be able to do was to save the original URL in the preset by some method other than connecting to the stream and press / hold the preset button.

The complete stream URL is:

http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Pl...ename=&Optin=#

This is a radio group in vicinity of Palm Springs (CA) ... it seems there's one stream for several stations that simulcast in that general area of the desert.

If you program the above as a favorite and then select it on the radio, check the URL that's being used (with the "+" button) and you'll see what I mean.

If I could program the above directly into a preset, I think it would work.

bob

The forum software is preventing me from posting the entire stream URL, but the part that's garbled (after the streamaudio.com) is as follows:

/Player/Player.aspx?Station=KNWZ_AM&filename=&Optin=#

bob

Don't think that will stream for you reliably on a SqueezeBox type system for three reasons:
    1. it is authentication based (sign in)
    2. that URL is a web page to log in (no web browser on SB devices)
    3. URL changes

Sometimes a station will allow access when your login info is entered into the URL, but if the stream URL actually changes I'm not sure how you would overcome this.

Another option is to contact that station and tell them you want to listen to their stream on a non-computer device (can't log in), see if they have a direct stream URL that does not need such authentication. Some do, some don't.

I agree with all you're saying (that sounds good ... I'm not 100% I understand it all but it sounds like it makes sense). Anyway, I emailed the station's webmaster about a month ago and got no response. I think they're mostly interested in serving people in their listening area since these are the people that might do business with their sponsors. I've tried dealing with several stations over the years and most aren't that excited about spending time on people not in their listening area.

I can reliably listen to the station using the URL saves as a favorite (it's worked for over a month since I figured out how to do it) ... but I just can't get it to work from a preset.

Meanwhile, it would be nice to be able to "program" the preset. It would also be nice(r) to have a stream URL from that station that was more straightforward.

This station is found if one does a Squeezebox search on KNWZ ... but when one selects the result to listen, it returns an HTTP 404 "not found" error.

bob
    Last edited by bobandelaine; 2011-12-23 at 12:17.

Have you tried selecting the working favorite, and then very quickly, before the URL has the time to change, store it as a preset on the Radio?

If you know your router well, you may be able to slow it down, to give you a larger window of time to do that.

I'm not sure that this will work even in principle, but maybe worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by bobandelaine View Post
    I have a favorite that somehow modifies it's URL inside the radio after I select it, so if I save it as a preset the modified URL is saved.
    That sounds as if you are trying to save the preset while the station is playing. Don't do that. Don't press Play, just highlight the favorite in the list and press+hold the preset button.

Email TuneIn.com about the 404 error, they manage all of the streams provided within the Internet Radio menu.
    Can also report the error right from your player, when you see the 404 error press "+" or the knob, go to TuneIn Radio Options, report problem.

They list that stream as only 25% reliable so obviously there are issues, likely source related (station itself).