Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Which outputs

Which outputs

After much deliberation finally got round to getting a Touch (which strangely enough will appear on 25/12!)

I will be connecting it to my Marantz amp.

Which of the Touch outputs should I use -
    Stereo analog (RCA), digital optical, or digital coax output?

(basic stuff I know)

I will be using the Touch the same way as a Receiver (i.e. not with a USB drive attd) Any tips / quirks I should take note of?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STEVESPUR View Post
    After much deliberation finally got round to getting a Touch (which strangely enough will appear on 25/12!)

I will be connecting it to my Marantz amp.

Which of the Touch outputs should I use -
    Stereo analog (RCA), digital optical, or digital coax output?

(basic stuff I know)

I will be using the Touch the same way as a Receiver (i.e. not with a USB drive attd) Any tips / quirks I should take note of?

Thanks
    Welcome to the Touch world! You can use any of the outputs and note that they're all on and active simulteneously. So you can actually hook all three up at the same time (if your Marantz has all three input types) and switch your amp's inputs back and forth to see which you prefer. However, many (including me) here would argue that either of the digitals will be the best. But, really, for a relatively small investment in a coax, Toslink/optical, and RCA cable, you can hear and decide for yourself.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite> ultraRendu > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB microJukebox Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    Welcome to the Touch world! You can use any of the outputs and note that they're all on and active simulteneously. So you can actually hook all three up at the same time (if your Marantz has all three input types) and switch your amp's inputs back and forth to see which you prefer. However, many (including me) here would argue that either of the digitals will be the best. But, really, for a relatively small investment in a coax, Toslink/optical, and RCA cable, you can hear and decide for yourself.
    Agree (but be careful in comparing if you don't have the volume equal in all 3 cases, you might think you prefer the slightly louder version. Keep the digital volume of the touch at 80% or above, and then use your receiver for additional volume changes.

p.s. I don't know anything about the quality of the DAC in your receiver. It may or may not be better than the DAC in the touch. With the RCAs you are using the TOUCH DAC. With optical or S/pDIF coax, you'll be using the receiver DAC. WARNING: some receivers will take the analog inputs from the RCA and turn it into digital then convert back to analog with the recievers DAC. You wouldn't want this (crazy to convert digital > analog then back to digital then to analog). Read your receiver's manual to figure this out...
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

i'd vote for optical digital output with soundcheck tweaks applied. i'm surely happy with the resulting sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pavowren View Post
    i'd vote for optical digital output with soundcheck tweaks applied. i'm surely happy with the resulting sound.
    +1, but I didn't want to bias him/her.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite> ultraRendu > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB microJukebox Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and views

Embarrassingly, have now realised that my amp only has RCA inputs anyway - so i guess my decision is made!!

My Touch is replacing a Receiver - will I notice much difference in sound quality? (the receiver sounds pretty good in the main)

Quote Originally Posted by STEVESPUR View Post
    My Touch is replacing a Receiver - will I notice much difference in sound quality? (the receiver sounds pretty good in the main)
    It really depends on your particular situation: your audio system, your listening environment, your ears, your choice of music, the quality of the recording, etc. It's actually kind of strange to be asking others if you will notice the difference, since it's something that only you can experience.

I did do some direct comparisons of the analog outs of a Touch vs. Receiver and Touch vs. SB3/Classic. I don't have "golden ears", but I can hear a difference. YMMV.