Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Can't this kind of " kettle lead" be had from pretty much anywhere , I think I've thrown away this typical uk plug and iec end kind of cable on several occasions ?
    Yes, that was what I was thinking.
    Players SB Radio 7.7.3-r16676 (bedroom/alarm), SqueezePlayOS v? on O2 Joggler (kitchen), SB Touch 7.8.0-r16754/Quad 606/Heybrook .5 (office)
    Server LMS 7.9.0-1433513811 on Synology DS213+ NAS. Library ~4000 tracks & but mostly listen to BBC.

Resurrecting the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I use a Solid State Relay with the PowerSwitch II plugin. That eliminates the need of an external power supply to feed the relay. Schematics are attached.

Attachment 14206
    Hello, and forgive me for reviving an old thread if that's considered bad form. But I'm looking to do exactly what you've done and I need a little advice.
    Am I right in understanding that the Power Switch II plug-in sends a continuous voltage to the left headphone channel of the Squeezebox Touch? I have installed the plug-in and plugged a lead into the headphone out jack. Can I test with a multimeter to see if it's doing what it's supposed to?

Then, the Sharp SSR you used is listed as being "obsolete." Can you suggest one that I might be able to use in its place? Is it true that the SSR would need no power supply of its own? I assume it draws power from the mains?

Also, does the plug-in's "$gPowerOffDelay" setting really prevent the amp from shutting off again after a pause in the music?

TIA for any help you can give.
    Les
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Hello, and forgive me for reviving an old thread if that's considered bad form. But I'm looking to do exactly what you've done and I need a little advice.
    Am I right in understanding that the Power Switch II plug-in sends a continuous voltage to the left headphone channel of the Squeezebox Touch? I have installed the plug-in and plugged a lead into the headphone out jack. Can I test with a multimeter to see if it's doing what it's supposed to?

Then, the Sharp SSR you used is listed as being "obsolete." Can you suggest one that I might be able to use in its place? Is it true that the SSR would need no power supply of its own? I assume it draws power from the mains?

Also, does the plug-in's "$gPowerOffDelay" setting really prevent the amp from shutting off again after a pause in the music?

TIA for any help you can give.
    Les
    Yes you can just use a multimeter to check whether it works, Should be around 3.3V when on and 0V when off

I never bother (didn't even know there was one) with the "$gPowerOffDelay" setting I just set the player to turn off after 15mins with the "Powersave" plugin.

If "PowerSwitchII" works on the Touch I can give you some ideas for SSR's

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Yes you can just use a multimeter to check whether it works, Should be around 3.3V when on and 0V when off

I never bother (didn't even know there was one) with the "$gPowerOffDelay" setting I just set the player to turn off after 15mins with the "Powersave" plugin.

If "PowerSwitchII" works on the Touch I can give you some ideas for SSR's

Jeff
    Wow, thanks. I hate to ask people to spoon-feed me, but I tried the multimeter a couple of times and don't seem to get much of a reading. Can you advise me as to how to check if the plug-in is working? What voltage setting to use on the multimeter? All I've done is plug in a connector with a headphone plug on both ends and try to take readings off the plug.
    If you'll look at the schematic from Pascal Hibon (I think, from back in 2013) - do I read the "J2" or "J1" with just the red lead of the multimeter? Or do I ground the black lead..? As you can see, I flunked Electronics 101. Sorry.Name:  Power_Switch_w_SSR.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  128.0 KB
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

Is this on a Squeezebox Touch ?

The original article says it will not work on a Touch
    Probably the reason Blaster dosent either

But just to be sure !

You need to load the plugin on the Touchh under "Extras" if my memory serves.
    You need to probe with the multimeter Red on J1 and Black on J2 with the meter set to DC Volts (Lowest range ABOVE 3.3V)
    on your cable the Tip will be +Ve (J1 Red) and the section closest to the other end -Ve (J2 Black)

If you get 3.3V when the player is on and 0v when off the plugin is working

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

No cigar

Is this on a Squeezebox Touch ?

The original article says it will not work on a Touch
    Probably the reason Blaster dosent either

But just to be sure !

You need to load the plugin on the Touchh under "Extras" if my memory serves.
    You need to probe with the multimeter Red on J1 and Black on J2 with the meter set to DC Volts (Lowest range ABOVE 3.3V)
    on your cable the Tip will be +Ve (J1 Red) and the section closest to the other end -Ve (J2 Black)

If you get 3.3V when the player is on and 0v when off the plugin is working

Jeff
    Thanks!
    I think the plug-is supposed to be installed. It shows up in the Touch's settings anyway, and in the HTML interface. But I don't see any settings for it or any display of info from it anywhere.

I put the tips on J1 and J2, but I don't see any voltage reading.

So I guess it won't work with the Touch. One odd thing, though: I plugged some headphones in and didn't hear anything. I uninstalled the plug-in thinking it might have commandeered the phone output, but afterwards I still didn't hear anything. So could my phone output be disabled somewhere? But in any case no signal on the phone out with the plug-in.

I wonder what else I could try?

By the way, do you confirm that this might be possible without a separate power supply for the SSR?

Thanks!
    I think the plug-is supposed to be installed. It shows up in the Touch's settings anyway, and in the HTML interface. But I don't see any settings for it or any display of info from it anywhere.

I put the tips on J1 and J2, but I don't see any voltage reading.

So I guess it won't work with the Touch. One odd thing, though: I plugged some headphones in and didn't hear anything. I uninstalled the plug-in thinking it might have commandeered the phone output, but afterwards I still didn't hear anything. So could my phone output be disabled somewhere? But in any case no signal on the phone out with the plug-in.

I wonder what else I could try?

By the way, do you confirm that this might be possible without a separate power supply for the SSR?
    I suspect that the SBT does not have the hardware to output a signal, hence no IR blaster either.

Theres nothing else you can do I'm afraid

As to the SSR only a low voltage is required to switch them.

I've just noticed you said you flunked Electronics 101, In that case I would not try to do anything with mains electricity yourself !

Jeff

Back to the drawing board

Okay, so what about IR Blaster? I found this post, where the gentleman says he's been using IR Blaster with his Touch to turn his amp on and off. For me this would obviously mean an IR relay that would receive signals from the Touch.

Do you mind taking a look?

Actually I'm not afraid to mess with mains power, but I do have a healthy respect for it. My credo is: Always get advice you can trust and follow it to the letter. Thanks again to you for the trustworthy advice!

________________________ LATER

I found another post that has some interesting things in it... including that the Touch indeed seems to be problematic with IR Blaster (maybe for the same reason it didn't work with Power Switch II?). But also the fact that the Touch runs on Linux (?). Mightn't there be a programmable way to send a 3V signal out through the Touch headphone jack?
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2022-05-07 at 07:12.

I suspect that the SBT does not have the hardware to output a signal, hence no IR blaster either.
    No idea about the plugin in question, but SBT definitely supports IR blasting an the IR Blaster plugin works fine with it.

What the touch can't do is raw IR config files, it only supports the NEC and RC5 encodings.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Okay, so what about IR Blaster? I found this post, where the gentleman says he's been using IR Blaster with his Touch to turn his amp on and off. For me this would obviously mean an IR relay that would receive signals from the Touch.

Do you mind taking a look?

Actually I'm not afraid to mess with mains power, but I do have a healthy respect for it. My credo is: Always get advice you can trust and follow it to the letter. Thanks again to you for the trustworthy advice!

________________________ LATER

I found another post that has some interesting things in it... including that the Touch indeed seems to be problematic with IR Blaster (maybe for the same reason it didn't work with Power Switch II?). But also the fact that the Touch runs on Linux (?). Mightn't there be a programmable way to send a 3V signal out through the Touch headphone jack?
    Sorry I don't know about IR Blasting I've never looked at it and never needed it.

I noticed you basically double posted this question, PowerSwitchII and PowerSwitchIII are basically the same thing

You enable the plugin ON the SB or in your case SBT under extras, if its not there it wont work.

I've never looked into writing a plugin but someone on here may be able to help but its very possible the hardware is not in the SBT so its a no go.

You may want to look into other ways people have done this, smart plugs etc

Jeff