Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Squeezebox Touch and Power Switch II ?

    I have a Squeezebox Touch which I can control from my IPad. Is there a way to turn on and off my receiver at the same time ? I ran across something called Power Switch II, but it seems to be for older devices. Is there something similar for the Touch ?

    Thank you,

    jmhine

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,593
    I use the PowerSwitch II on my SB3 too. It is controlling the amplifier to power the speakers in my bathroom ceiling. I believe this should be a standard feature in the Squeezebox devices. Due to the lack of a Squeezebox with built in amplifier there are situations where the PowerSwitch plugin is very usefull and this is missing on the Touch.
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhine View Post
    I have a Squeezebox Touch which I can control from my IPad. Is there a way to turn on and off my receiver at the same time ? I ran across something called Power Switch II, but it seems to be for older devices. Is there something similar for the Touch ?
    Hello - yes, I'm interested in the same feature. Here's the Power Switch II page: http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver...#powerswitchii

    In its simplest form it looks to me like it must put a steady positive voltage on one of the headphone channels, which is then amplified by a transistor and used to switch a relay. It should still work with a Touch (which has a headphone output which you wouldn't be using with an amp) providing the headphone output can be controlled separately (I don't know if it might be tied to the analogue outputs which I use, rather than feeding an external DAC).

    Ideally I'd prefer to use the 5V supply from the Touch's USB port and a small 5V relay to save having another power supply wasting energy.

    (The alternative is to go for a Denon receiver like the AVR1713 which can be controlled remotely using DenonAVPControl http://code.google.com/p/denonavpcontrol/ and still seems to be an active project)

    Anyone else using Power Switch II?
    Players SB Radio 7.7.3-r16676 (bedroom/alarm), SqueezePlayOS v? on O2 Joggler (kitchen), SB Touch 7.8.0-r16754/Quad 606/Heybrook .5 (office)
    Server LMS 7.9.0-1433513811 on Synology DS213+ NAS. Library ~4000 tracks & but mostly listen to BBC.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon300 View Post
    Ideally I'd prefer to use the 5V supply from the Touch's USB port and a small 5V relay to save having another power supply wasting energy.
    I use a Solid State Relay with the PowerSwitch II plugin. That eliminates the need of an external power supply to feed the relay. Schematics are attached.

    Power Switch with a solid state relays.pdf
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I use a Solid State Relay with the PowerSwitch II plugin. That eliminates the need of an external power supply to feed the relay. Schematics are attached.
    Thanks! The whole package with the built in mains plug/socket case looks really good to me and I think that SS relay will switch up to 8A (http://sharp-world.com/products/devi.../s102s11_e.pdf) which should be more than enough for most people.

    @Pascal: your sig says you have an SB Touch - have you tried it with that? Has it been reliable? Do you get any pops/crackles when it switches on/off your amp?
    Players SB Radio 7.7.3-r16676 (bedroom/alarm), SqueezePlayOS v? on O2 Joggler (kitchen), SB Touch 7.8.0-r16754/Quad 606/Heybrook .5 (office)
    Server LMS 7.9.0-1433513811 on Synology DS213+ NAS. Library ~4000 tracks & but mostly listen to BBC.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon300 View Post
    Thanks! The whole package with the built in mains plug/socket case looks really good to me and I think that SS relay will switch up to 8A (http://sharp-world.com/products/devi.../s102s11_e.pdf) which should be more than enough for most people.

    @Pascal: your sig says you have an SB Touch - have you tried it with that? Has it been reliable? Do you get any pops/crackles when it switches on/off your amp?
    I didnĺt try it with my SBT because that Squeezebox is connected to my main stereo. It does not need to power any device. But I donĺt expect it to generate any noise or crackle since it does work fine on a Squeezebox Classic.
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I use a Solid State Relay with the PowerSwitch II plugin. That eliminates the need of an external power supply to feed the relay. Schematics are attached.
    @Pascal: Out of curiousity, where did you get your AC enclosure from and what's the best search term for it as I haven't had any luck in finding one? (I'd be looking for either a UK 3 pin plug/socket or an IEC version). Thanks!
    Players SB Radio 7.7.3-r16676 (bedroom/alarm), SqueezePlayOS v? on O2 Joggler (kitchen), SB Touch 7.8.0-r16754/Quad 606/Heybrook .5 (office)
    Server LMS 7.9.0-1433513811 on Synology DS213+ NAS. Library ~4000 tracks & but mostly listen to BBC.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pascal Hibon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon300 View Post
    @Pascal: Out of curiousity, where did you get your AC enclosure from and what's the best search term for it as I haven't had any luck in finding one? (I'd be looking for either a UK 3 pin plug/socket or an IEC version). Thanks!
    I bought mine it at a local electronics shop.
    You could try sources like Farnell or Conrad. I guess it is called something like power supply enclosures. Below is a link to Conrad but these enclosures seem to have Euorpean style connectors. Maybe you can try to call them and ask if they have this with UK plugs as well:
    http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/overv...ply-Enclosures
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I bought mine it at a local electronics shop.
    You could try sources like Farnell or Conrad. I guess it is called something like power supply enclosures. Below is a link to Conrad but these enclosures seem to have Euorpean style connectors. Maybe you can try to call them and ask if they have this with UK plugs as well:
    http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/overv...ply-Enclosures
    Thanks Pascal. I contacted Conrad and they replied very promptly: "We do not provide a 3 pin unit. We do however supply 3 pin adaptors with every order." I had already had a look on Farnell's website but to be honest I often have trouble finding anything on there ;-)

    Thinking a little more about it I suppose I'd just cut the live cable in a 3 pin UK/IEC lead, put the SSR/fuse inline and then make it into a capitive lead to/from my enclosure. Anyway, I'm not sure when I'll get round to it but thanks for posting details as it looks like a nice little project.
    Players SB Radio 7.7.3-r16676 (bedroom/alarm), SqueezePlayOS v? on O2 Joggler (kitchen), SB Touch 7.8.0-r16754/Quad 606/Heybrook .5 (office)
    Server LMS 7.9.0-1433513811 on Synology DS213+ NAS. Library ~4000 tracks & but mostly listen to BBC.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,532
    Can't this kind of " kettle lead" be had from pretty much anywhere , I think I've thrown away this typical uk plug and iec end kind of cable on several occasions ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •