Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hi Ben,

just gave your App a go and have to say I really like it!
    It's a well thought of UI and I'm 'feeling home' instantly.
    It's also a very good quality for a first release (sent you a crash report, but had it only once).

You have a very different style compared to SqueezeCommander (which is good).
    Also I love that your App (for some reason I don't know yet) feels 'simpler' than SqueezeCommander which took me a bit longer to get used to (it took me some time to get warm with the iPeng-iPhone navigation style, that SqueezeCommander copied).

I don't think that you need to 'hide' behind SqueezeCommander with your price level, you do have a valid alternative and users will need to decide what style they like most.

If I find some time (guess only after new years eve though), I'll be adding support for your App in SqueezePlayer.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Any plans for taking advantage of the tablet platform with the extra screen real estate?

For $0.99, I'll probably download this over the holidays and give it a spin.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Hi,

I've given it a try to and I have to second bluegaspode's finding: impressive quality for a first release.
    One more member in the club of people who believe horizontal swiping is a useful means of organizing pages

I also like some details like how the new NowPlaying information slides in when you change a player, taking care of details is always so cool!

It's obviously not for my device, though.
    The layout is nice and gives a visible clue of where you are and gives you quick access to the player controls and the current track.
    This is certainly fine for a large-screen device like one of those Android-monster-phones with 4.3"-Displays that recently came out or for a tablet, but on my Xperia Mini pro there's almost no space for content left, when I use Search (where I have to use landscape since that's where the view rotates to when I open the keyboads), there's only a single line left for results which makes me feel a bit like on the Squeezebox Classic.
    In portrait it shows four rows which still feels like you want a full-screen mode or something.

A few details:
    * I don't like the breadcrumbs. Maybe that's my small device again but they always only show the current menu level plus "> ... > " and I find taking up 1/3rd of a row just to let me know that this is not a top level menu a waste of space, a single symbol would have done, especially since at least in portrait the tradeoff usually is that the menu level gets truncated.

* For "Apps" I haven't found a way to do anything else but play single tracks, is this not ready, yet, or a bug? These tracks (unlike the menus where it's fine) also don't show artwork, at least for Spotify.

* When waiting up from sleep it takes _very_ long to reconnect to WiFi and the server, might be my device.

* The player overview with the volume bars flickers the handle and shows changing volume for some of my players even if nothing happens.

* I sometimes get an erroneous "loading..." message at the bottom of the screen.

* It sometimes loses the connection to the server and I have to kill and restart it then.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    Hi Ben,

just gave your App a go and have to say I really like it!
    It's a well thought of UI and I'm 'feeling home' instantly.
    It's also a very good quality for a first release (sent you a crash report, but had it only once).
    Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm devastated that you had to submit a crash report -- but it was mitigated by the nice things you said. I'm investigating the crash and but to really figure out what the situation is I'd love to know which rev of the OS you are running. Market wasn't specific enough, dumping you into the "other" bucket. You're a developer, so you understand that when the line number of the class in the stack trace doesn't even exist, you've got a problem.

I'll leave most of what else you wrote wrt to pricing, etc, on the table but I appreciate the information!

Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    Any plans for taking advantage of the tablet platform with the extra screen real estate?
    Yes, indeed and it will be part of this product rather than a second, tablet-specific version. I was originally planning on supporting both for the initial release but I had to pare my own expectations back. The only problem with running it on a tablet now is that you are simply wasting huge amounts of screen real-estate.

In case it need be said, the $0.99 price point for a niche app like this is primarily to make sure that folks who are looking for Winamp don't download the app and rate it one star because of the confusion. That said, every dollar counts and I do appreciate the "donations", because I'm quite confident that all of you are already running SqueezeCommander.

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    I'm investigating the crash and but to really figure out what the situation is I'd love to know which rev of the OS you are running.
    Android 2.2 on HTC Desire.

Oh what I forget to mention: the one button "Disconnect" in the menu should be renamed to "Switch Server" or something similar.

Disconnect is just the wrong word and sounds like a one way street.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Hi,

I've given it a try to and I have to second bluegaspode's finding: impressive quality for a first release.
    One more member in the club of people who believe horizontal swiping is a useful means of organizing pages

I also like some details like how the new NowPlaying information slides in when you change a player, taking care of details is always so cool!

It's obviously not for my device, though.
    Pippin, thanks so much for the detailed write-up. I should be paying you guys. ;-) OK, well I already did a few years back when I purchased iPeng.

You are correct -- I did not really do any significant testing on a device with your characteristics. I developed on a Nexus One and tested on a G1 (similar to yours in form factor), but really just a functional test rather than a usability test. With your device it might be best to simply get rid of the top bar altogether when browsing. When searching in landscape mode, I'm not sure that there's much to be done at all. No top bar would help a bit, but not much.

By the way, I'm a huge believer in reasonably-sized phones so I'm not simply writing off your feedback at all.

I will do some more testing with Spotify as well, a service I actually haven't used. Your experience should be considered a bug, not an incomplete feature. I actually didn't launch with any known bugs, or I would have launched in June! (just kidding)

I have cataloged all of your issues and will investigate them! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    With your device it might be best to simply get rid of the top bar altogether when browsing.
    Can I do that? How?
    When searching in landscape mode, I'm not sure that there's much to be done at all. No top bar would help a bit, but not much.
    Well, actually No top- and no bottom bar would help.... that's what I meant with "full-screen" mode.
    By the way, I'm a huge believer in reasonably-sized phones so I'm not simply writing off your feedback at all.
    Well, I'm not even sure it's "reasonably sized" because so much stuff doesn't work well on it.
    However, already having an iPhone I didn't want another, similarly sized brick as a second phone let alone an even bigger one) so it came in handy. I'm tempted to upgrade to the never one they have now because it comes with a full on-screen-keyboard instead of the slide-out thing so will be even smaller.
    I will do some more testing with Spotify as well, a service I actually haven't used. Your experience should be considered a bug, not an incomplete feature.
    It's actually not just Spotify but all "Apps" I've tried.

One more thing (sorry): with all the information permanently on the screen I'm missing one: the current player's name, it's not even on NowPlaying (I _know_, iPeng is the same for menus,... yet) so I keep playing on the wrong device.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

[ANNOUNCE] Orange Squeeze 1.0 for Android Released

> * When waiting up from sleep it takes _very_ long to reconnect to WiFi
    > and the server, might be my device.

That's something I wanted to mention in Erland's mail about the "best
    Android device": it's an issue I've experienced across all of my four
    Android devices, running four different OS levels (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.2).
    It's not this app, it's the OS imho.

--

Michael

I love the look and feel. Its easy to get around. I missed the extra info about songs that you can view in other android player apps like bitrate, other tags, etc...