Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UE Radio or . . . ?

Living I Cyprus I use a SB3 in the lounge and a Boom in the conservatory, which I only use for BBC news. It annoys an English lady down the road that I can get BBC Radio 4 and she can't.

"Ah, but I have an Internet Radio", I said.

As far as I can see these internet radios are still expensive compared to the average kitchen radio. The discontinued SB radio, and the new EU Radio are about the cheapest, and there is the new box from Pure

http://www.wirefresh.com/pure-one-wo...radio-arrives/

But we are still taking around £100. Am I missing anything on the European market?

I've told here to listen on her laptop - and she sniffed!

There some rather nice Creative Bluetooth speakers for about £30 that might improve the sound.

Any more ideas for and easy and cheap solution to the lady's problem?
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Integrated Amp - AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

2nd hand iPod touch (2nd gen or later) & docking station

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Thanks. I'd thought of that, and I should have said she has no iPhone or Android phone and has no need for one.

She just want a switch on and listen radio, and maybe she will want BBC Radio 2 sometimes instead of BBC Radio 4.

You can get British Forces Broadcasting Service on FM here in Nicosia - but that's Radio 1, or worse.
    Brian

In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers. Boom in conservatory.

Does this help ? Archos 35 home connect
    (never used or even seen one)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Does this help ? Archos 35 home connect
    (never used or even seen one)

Thanks. £50 in UK. It might even be available here in Nicosia - other Archos products are. I think I half noticed is when scanning a web page, but didn't investigate as it looked rather small. The fancy screen is an absolute must with these products!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I would not suggest to buy an Ipod Touch only to listen Internet Radio. I experienced many signal losses on my Ipod.
    I never had this problem with my squeezebox on the same stations (BBC Radio3 and France Info) and same WIFI router.

Depends a lot on the router. There are a number of routers who have issues with a lot of Apple and other modern devices, seems to have to do with the interpretation of the .n-Standard. Your favorite Android device probably won't be any better, the Squeezeboxes still only support .g WiFi and don't have the issues.

I would not buy a 2nd Gen iPod touch anymore, it will be almost impossible to get Apps for that one anymore, soon, because Apple's development kit in it's current version doesn't allow to compile Apps for that platform anymore so all new App updates will no longer work on it so it should be at least Gen. 3
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Does iPlayer fit her needs ? I came across this page: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...ortable_media/
    Perhaps you can find a cheap enough player in this list ?
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Does iPlayer fit her needs ? I came across this page: http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...ortable_media/
    Perhaps you can find a cheap enough player in this list ?
    iPlayer is a software, and is one of the many ways to access BBC Radio - your list does include some odd hardware!

We both use iPlayer via a UK VPN to access BBC TV - BBC Radio has no territorial restrictions, so can be played by any means.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    iPlayer is a software, and is one of the many ways to access BBC Radio - your list does include some odd hardware!

We both use iPlayer via a UK VPN to access BBC TV - BBC Radio has no territorial restrictions, so can be played by any means.

Be careful with devices which offer Tunein (for BBC stations) - many do not have the appropriate codecs and wil only play mp3 streams (so you get only World Service and BBC Arabic!).
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------