Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

safely adding to a playlist

often i'm building an impromptu playlist by adding tracks to the end and then, i screw up, hit a track (instead of holding) and wipe out the playlist!

is there a better (safer) way?

Here's three possibilities:

1) save the playlist as you go along

2) use an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch along with pippin's iPeng app. It has a "party mode" that does just what you're looking for.

3) get Logitech to revive the "party mode" they had programmed in SqueezeOS (ie, Touch, Radio, and Duet Controller). It was a beta feature that was later completely removed.

I would say the main disadvantages of each are that (1) is awkward and annoying, (2) costs money, and (3) is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes. The advantages are that (1) is free, (2) works smoothly, and (3) could be both free and smooth, if it ever happened.

4) Don't screw up.

I feel the OP's pain. I've got a long playlist in my car that I want to reproduce on my SB setup. I'm doing it one letter of the alphabet at a time, and saving after each letter, but even then I so frequently screw up that I've given up for now. What I could do with is some 3rd party software that builds SB-compatible playlists separately - ie something that will import all my music into a library and allow me to drag-and-drop tracks into a playlist with the correct file paths. I'm on a Mac, so the file paths are of the form:

file:///Volumes/MusicShare/Superstore/Music/Lossless/Album%20FLACs/a/......

Anyone know of a good music manager on Mac OS X that will make SB-compatible playlists?

How about using the WebUI to build your playlist?

Chill is on the right track, too. You can use any software to build the playlist as long as you use the same file paths as Music Server uses. Export them as M3U to your playlist folder and then scan for new playlists.

Or create a playlist with one file, save it to use as template, and open that in a text editor... paste in more file paths, save it, and scan for new playlists.

Chill, I don't know what Mac software would be comparable, but I use JRiver Media Center in Windows to export playlists for LMS and it works just dandy. I guess iTunes doesn't export M3U files?
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I feel the OP's pain. I've got a long playlist in my car that I want to reproduce on my SB setup. I'm doing it one letter of the alphabet at a time, and saving after each letter, but even then I so frequently screw up that I've given up for now. What I could do with is some 3rd party software that builds SB-compatible playlists separately - ie something that will import all my music into a library and allow me to drag-and-drop tracks into a playlist with the correct file paths. I'm on a Mac, so the file paths are of the form:

file:///Volumes/MusicShare/Superstore/Music/Lossless/Album%20FLACs/a/......

Anyone know of a good music manager on Mac OS X that will make SB-compatible playlists?
    I don't use a Mac, but are you sure the path isn't really everything after file://? That is, something like /Volumes/MusicShare/Superstore/...

Try creating a playlist in any software that can export an m3u-format playlist, which is what SB uses. It's a very simple and common format. iTunes can export m3u, and so can Songbird, among the many. Then open the resulting .m3u file in a text editor and you'll see the format.

MeSue's suggestion about using the LMS web ui instead of the Touch screen is also a good idea, both for you and the OP. The LMS web ui is definitely not great for making playlists, but using the Touch's touchscreen to do the same is akin to torture. In the case of reproducing a playlist that you already have in the car you can make things move a lot more quickly by using the search feature to pull up the exact track immediately, add it to the playlist with one click, and move on to the next, aided by using a real keyboard.

Note that the OP says "impromptu playlist". Not a stored playlist. A playlist that you just want to put together now.

It's definitely easier in the web interface than in any other Squeezebox interface, but still possible to screw up if you're not paying attention.

I'm not certain, but it may be possible to modify the Default skin to simply remove the Play ( > ) button from tracks in the web interface. That would solve 90% of the issues. Enable the extended buttons to have the 'Play next' button available and there's not much you can't do without a Play button.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I don't use a Mac, but are you sure the path isn't really everything after file://? That is, something like /Volumes/MusicShare/Superstore/...
    Yes, that's correct. But it means that the file locations are specific to the way the drive is mounted to the server. I can't, for instance, use Foobar running under Parallels because that file path would be different for the same drive under a Windows environment. Actually I guess I COULD use Foobar but then run a find+replace to make the file paths compatible with the Mac version of SBS.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Note that the OP says "impromptu playlist". Not a stored playlist. A playlist that you just want to put together now.
    Ah yes - my apologies, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. So my contribution to the OP's question is a resounding endorsement of iPeng's party mode. I use it all the time, not just for parties.

I can't, for instance, use Foobar running under Parallels because that file path would be different for the same drive under a Windows environment. Actually I guess I COULD use Foobar but then run a find+replace to make the file paths compatible with the Mac version of SBS.
    Sure you can. For example, an M: drive on Windows, and map it to a network M: drive on Windows under Parallels, or use UNC paths.

Yes, that's correct. But it means that the file locations are specific to the way the drive is mounted to the server. I can't, for instance, use Foobar running under Parallels because that file path would be different for the same drive under a Windows environment. Actually I guess I COULD use Foobar but then run a find+replace to make the file paths compatible with the Mac version of SBS.
    Sorry to aid and abet a hijacker, but you know you could create playlists with relative paths instead of absolute paths, or edit existing playlists to make them relative. I'm not sure about the current LMS, but I was surprised to learn a few months ago that SBS supported relative paths in playlists (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=90366). Unfortunately that won't deal with slash/backslash differences of *nix and OSX versus Windows. So you would still need to break out a text editor or a script to switch those.