Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by pz1 View Post
    Well thanks to the friendly and knowledgeable geeks like garym you got your solution!
    Thanks allot!

Quote Originally Posted by pz1 View Post
    Well thanks to the friendly and knowledgeable geeks like garym you got your solution!
    actually it was Mnyb's advice that solved the problem. He's a much better geek than I am. ;-)
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

"If your Touch is connected to a local Squeezebox Server running an official release I don't think it should try to upgrade the firmware, at least not as long as you have disabled automatic upgrades in Squeezebox Server Settings."

Well. it does......or did!

The prompts have disappeared today - bit of a mystery.

I know I can listen to radio via my local server but if my laptop is off I just use mySqueezebox.com via the Touch - and that was where I was encountering the prompt issue.

I guess the prompts may come back as easily as they disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by gaskleppie View Post
    ...... Why do you have to be some kind of computer nerd to use something that only supposed to play the music I want and nothing more?......
    You don't, unless you choose the geek way to do it, which you did by choosing a NAS.

... I checked my NAS and for some reason it was using the wrong DNS and gateway settings. Restarting the NAS was enough to get new and correct settings...
    a. Rather non-geeky fix, no?
    b. Note this was your NAS’ fault, completely unrelated to SqueezeBox/LMS

Maybe a warning sticker on the box would be handy: If you just want to listen music, dont buy this device!
    Yes, on the NAS box.

.... The strange thing is that my account settings were already filled in and my favorite radio station are also in the favorites menu......
    Because the "geek" programmers at Logitech made it so such server settings are maintained when you update, so that users need not go through the geek process to reenter such settings.

This constant updating is freaking me out!
    I agree, that would be annoying. So here is my non-geek solution to your problem, pick whichever you feel is less geeky:
    1. Stay connected to your NAS for online content (now possible since you fixed your NAS dns issue).
    2. Go ahead and switch to MySB.com and simply dismiss the MySB.com update prompt (swipe screen L to R or hit the Home button on IR remote).

Thumbs up

the problem was in my NAS, your absolutely right about that. So Logitech cannot be blamed of that.
    The reason I was quite pissed is because there is very little information in the touch manual about using a NAS. And the only solution for DNS problems what you can find in the manual is this:
    My Squeezebox can’t connect to mysqueezebox .com
    mysqueezebox com not only allows you to manage your Squeezebox online, but it provide the connection between your Squeezebox and Internet sources
    Wireless Network
    Problems connecting to mysqueezebox com are often the result of DNS (Domain Name System) issues, which can be resolved with a router reset as follows:
    • Unplug your router, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in
    You may also need to reset your router to its default configuration and start the router setup process from the beginning See
    your router manual for instructions
    Note: For answers to common questions about routers, go to the Logitech Knowledge Base at www .mysqueezebox .com >
    Support . Under Troubleshooting, select your product and search on your router brand name Ethernet Connection
    If you are attempting to connect Squeezebox Touch to your network using an Ethernet cable and the connection is not successful:
    • Check all your network connections, and make sure the DHCP server is enabled on your router
    • Try using a different Ethernet cable, even if the switch or hub indicates a good link
    • Make sure your router or access point has the latest software
    I cannot find anything about how the squeezebox works when you are connected to a NAS. So who would expect that listening to internet radio would go via your NAS? I wont! What has a NAS has to do with internet radio?

Anyway, Thanks to you guys the problem is solved. The updates are switched off so as long as I dont update my NAS firmware, it probably will stay working.
    Thanks!

NAS has nothing to do with internet radio in regards to SqueezeBox, nor does a PC or Mac. LMS on the other hand has a lot to do with internet radio for the many users that do not want to switch servers for such playback and desire the more robust and more configurable LMS server versus the limited MySB.com server. LMS use with internet radio is documented, which platform you choose and the inherent limitations of that platform is a different story.

There is not much documentation on "how to use LMS with a PC" either, other than install/uninstall and simplistic troubleshooting (like what you posted which is a generic DNS fix regardless of platform). The documentation is for the features and functions of the LMS server, not the device which it is running on.

Just glad you got it sorted after all. Enjoy!