Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Backup alarm not playing

I have two SBB's. The alarm worked fine for a long time and now is frequently silent. I have switched the two SBBs around and the behaviour is the same.

The alarm is set to play BBC Radio 3 (I'm in the UK). It used to be that if this failed the backup alarm would come on. But in the past couple of months I have had only silence. The display shows that the alarm has triggered but there is no sound.

This morning I used the web interface to the SBS and discovered that the server believed the player was playing the backup alarm. Through the web interface I paused it and resumed it, but still silence. I then walked up to the alarm and pressed '3' to get the shortcut for Radio 3. This worked.

The web interface shows the firmware version on the SBB as 53. The server itself is 7.5.4 - r32171 (I tried 7.7 but it hung up a few times, so reverted).

Also, I have been trying to get access the SBB error logs, but can find no way of enabling SSH.

Mine is doing the exact same thing, it's only through sheer luck that I set the backup alarm on my phone to go off at the same time.

It looks like the SBB simply cannot be relied upon to be an alarm, which - given the cost of the device is simply unacceptable. It's a basic feature ffs!

Fixed by reverting to 7.5.2

All of my backup alarm problems (and various other server issues with later releases) were solved by reverting Squeezebox Server to version 7.5.2. I doubt that I will every try upgrading again, it's just not worth the hassle.

William

Same issue here for Radio 4.

I've changed over to LastFM for alarm sound - this seems to work OK.

I had the same issue: the boom woke up at the configured time, connected to the stream and apparently played it, but no sound came out from the speakers.

As far as I have experienced, the backup alarm is only played when there is no Internet connectivity or the stream cannot be opened (connection error), which is not the above case.

The workaround I have found is to set a second alarm, playing a different and super-reliable radio stream, 15 minutes later: if the first does not play, the second (finger crossed) surely will.