Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

"Music Source" > mysqueezebox.com > Pandora > SB1?

OK, so that's not really in the right order.

I am resurrecting my old SB1, which suffered from lack of use due to klugey controls (remote or computer only). But now I see there's an iPad app which may give this thing new life.

Anyhow, I understand that this cannot connect directly to mysqueezebox.com to use all those cool apps without a computer. But can I get mysqueezebox apps to work *with* the "Logitech Media Server"?

If I select "Music Source" from the web server menu, I'm offered two choices: "Please select the music source you'd like to connect your player to": My music library, and "mysqueezebox.com". Aha, I'm thinking, I can use the media server as a proxy to stream from pandora, and it will forward the stream to my SB1. BUT, when I click on the "mysqueezebox.com" link, it just takes me to the mysqueezebox.com site. I've surfed around, and can't see any way to start the app streaming to the local server. AHA, now when I go to the SB1, it says "sorry, requires a new slingblox" (or something like that; it's downstairs). Sorta similiar to another recent thread.

Anyhow, I can stream internet radio through to the SB1 just fine- I think that- using my PC of course- I should be able to get the Pandora stream through.

Thanks...

Selecting Music Source > MySB.com will both switch your player to MySB and take your browser to the MySB web UI to control the player.
    But not on an SB1 because it was never designed to connect to MySB.

So just keep your SB1 on your local SBS/LMS server? BTW: Which server version are you using?

On your server is your MySB.com login info entered within Settings > MySqueezeBox.com?
    Can you play any App onto your SB1?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm running server version 7.7.0/r33614.

Yeah, I know SB1 isn't MSB aware- it predates that by a long shot. The server info is correct in the control panel, with no errors. I was hoping that the server would be smart enough to somehow take the stream from Pandora and forward it to the SB1, like it does with internet radio. I'm not sure what you mean by playing any "app" on the SB1- it can't get anything from MySB, but it gets (of course) my local music and Internet Radio just fine.

Coincidentally, today's Woot was a Roku XD for 50 bucks. I can't really tell if I can feed this from SlimServer. One of my goals is whole-house audio (probably only 3 locations) from a single server source. Don't really need bells and whistles, so I want to get the devices as cheap as I can. Basically, have a server on my PC, control if from an iPad/iPhone/Droid, and have all the devices play the same stream.

You mentioned "click on the MySB.com link" and I was simply explaining why you cannot do that with an SB1.

Create a free www.MySqueezeBox.com account if not already done so, install some Apps (like Pandora), also install Apps Soma and RadioIO (no login info needed).
    On your LMS 7.7.0 server web UI go to Settings > MySqueezeBox.com, enter your MySqueezeBox login info, hit Apply

Now on your SB1 navigate to My Apps, are they there? Soma, RadioIO, Pandora? Will they play on your SB1?

Yes, if the Roku is a DLNA device it can connect to your LMS but with very limited functionality and it cannot access any Apps (like Pandora) when connected to your LMS. You would only have simple music folder navigation with a DLNA device.
    On the plus side your Roku would now be able to use your LMS for pics and videos as well as music.

Wink

Yes, I know- thanks! Didn't mean to skip right over that.

There is no "my apps" on the SB1. The thing is OLD. It's SO old, it's got a 2 digit IP address. (OK, not really).

There's no technical reason why the server can't forward the pandora stream, though. I guess since the majority of sling players still in existence can run apps, they just didn't bother to put that functionality in the server. Oh well.

Hoping I can sync the SB1 and Roku- that would at least be something...

HMMM. That brings together a salient point- even with *modern* players, streaming apps from the server to the devices would have the benefit of being able to have multiple players playing the same app stream. Developers, are you listening???

Quote Originally Posted by buckyswider View Post
    HMMM. That brings together a salient point- even with *modern* players, streaming apps from the server to the devices would have the benefit of being able to have multiple players playing the same app stream. Developers, are you listening???
    You can do that with all SB players, except the Slimp and SB1. Have as many SB players on your network as your network and computer can handle, all Sync'd to the same App.

Doing this with non-SB players is another issue and won't work at all (or reliably if it can be done).

Hmmm, thanks. There goes my "leverage".

I guess the way that works is not a function of the server but of the players themselves- they all just "tune" to the same stream by virtue of the pandora logon credentials. Does that sound correct?

I wonder if there's any other media server out there that will simultaneously stream apps by proxy to generic devices like the SB1...

No, Pandora on SB does not Sync anything, only the server can do that. I believe services like Pandora include DRM which the player must decode. If true this would eliminate generic DLNA devices from streaming/using such DRM protected services. Just a guess though, I'm not a DLNA expert.

Best I can suggest is googling things like "Pandora over DLNA" and similar type generic wording to see if it can be done. Some services (maybe all) limit the number of logged in devices to keep someone from sharing one account to 100's of players and users.

I don't think SB1's are DLNA but if you can't find a way to use/proxy Pandora to a basic DLNA device it likely cannot be done with an SB1 either.
    BTW: Your LMS 7.7 is now a DLNA server for music, pics, videos. So if you have any DLNA devices try connecting them to LMS.

My advice? Bypass all the unknowns and potential workarounds by simply buying an SB3 or a Touch.

Dang, thanks once again. Didn't even know how to spell "DNLA" until today. I did find a server that promises to stream anything on your PC to devices, (jamcast) but none of the slim devices are on their lengthy support list...

I guess you're right. If I want to do this I'll need newer squeezeboxes (especially since i control is imperative!). I see there's classics for $125 on the bay. Also an SB2 for fifty bucks. I wonder if that supports mysqueezebox...

Yes, SB2 will connect to MySB.com. I assume any player that can connect to MySB can use any/all services like Pandora, though I would verify that for services important to you.
    Spotify is the only exception that I am aware of where it cannot be used with older players when using the official Spotify App via MySB.