Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vaguely interested in Spotify/Napster/whatever

I'm a long-time Squeezebox user, and have until now used it only for my own local library and *very* occasional internet radio (via the local Squeezebox Server). Still running SqueezeCenter 7.3.2, and very happy with it. Have never had an account with mysqueezebox.com (or whatever it's called these days).

It occurs to me that perhaps I should be looking into some of these internet streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, etc. Having them would give us the chance to sample new music before we buy. But this brings up some questions:

1. Do these streaming services require running via mysqueezebox.com, or can I run them via a local server? I really don't want to sign up with msb.com.

2. Is there a minimum version of SqueezeBox server I would need to upgrade to in order to run these streaming services?

3. Any opinions about which is the best streaming service - bearing in mind that my wife & I are in our 50's and like quality rock from the 1970s. Any new stuff we're likely to enjoy is probably not going to be mainstream chart acts. So I guess what I'm asking is which service has the best selection of the more obscure artists. (Not weird music per se - just the less well-known performers).
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I'm a long-time Squeezebox user, and have until now used it only for my own local library and *very* occasional internet radio (via the local Squeezebox Server). Still running SqueezeCenter 7.3.2, and very happy with it. Have never had an account with mysqueezebox.com (or whatever it's called these days).

It occurs to me that perhaps I should be looking into some of these internet streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, etc. Having them would give us the chance to sample new music before we buy. But this brings up some questions:

1. Do these streaming services require running via mysqueezebox.com, or can I run them via a local server? I really don't want to sign up with msb.com.

2. Is there a minimum version of SqueezeBox server I would need to upgrade to in order to run these streaming services?

3. Any opinions about which is the best streaming service - bearing in mind that my wife & I are in our 50's and like quality rock from the 1970s. Any new stuff we're likely to enjoy is probably not going to be mainstream chart acts. So I guess what I'm asking is which service has the best selection of the more obscure artists. (Not weird music per se - just the less well-known performers).
    I'm sorta in your position (and age group). I finally tried Spotify and have found that it has lots of "non main stream" artists that I'm interested in from the Rock, Folk, Alt Country, etc. genres. I really like the ability to check things out before I buy (if I buy). Can't compare to other services as I haven't tried them. I'm considering trying MOG as a comparison. You will need mysb.com for that for sure....

I use triode's spotify plugin. Don't know whether you need mysb.com in that case. Probably not. But I have mysb.com anyhow (as I need for siriusXM which my wife likes). I don't USE mysb.com (always my own server). Not sure why you don't want to sign up for a free mysb.com account. Again, I have the account, but don't actually use it for anything directly other than adding some apps (which then show up in my local SERVER/PLAYERS).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Not sure why you don't want to sign up for a free mysb.com account.
    Maybe I've got this wrong, but my understanding is that when you switch over to mysb.com, you'll get connected to whatever version of Squeezebox Server it is running, and that means your player's firmware might get updated.

I wouldn't want to get constantly swapping firmwares whenever I switched between mysb.com and the local server, so that in turn implies the need to keep upgrading the local server in order to avoid that. And I don't want the uncertainty of constantly updating my local server - there are far too many posts around here to do with things breaking after a SBS update. I'm firmly in the camp that believes you should not mess with things that are working fine.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

You can use everything via the local server things that require mysqueezebox.com can still go trough the server , there is an integration possibility via the local server this actually works (you set your creds in the settings) .
    So the server uses mysb.com as a background service .

A lot of services require some secret sauce as the server is open source it cant reside on your server, so mysb.com acts as middle man for some things.

Server is a bit different now a lot of radio is apps that you enable via mysb.com even if you use them via the server .

And if you integrate you get a lot more radio menus apps and options ,you can localize your radio via TuneIN (was radio time) .

It's got a lot easier to install plugins there is an extension downloader .

I don't now the minimum version for Triodes spotify plugin

IF you are very careful and conservative and want to evaluate the new server you could install the LMS7.7.1 on another machine the player is able to switch between different servers .
    You will have firmware up/down grade when you switch between them.
    On that server you could toy with the new stuff with one of your players.

If you never connect directly to mysqueezebox.com but use it trough the server bizarre side effects are avoided and it actually works much better than otherwise .

The right people to ask about Radio/services is bpa Triode and Toby10 .
    I use it but 1% of the time .

Mysqueezebox.com is not that invasive stats reporting can be turned of , there is no mysterious black van's outside
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Maybe I've got this wrong, but my understanding is that when you switch over to mysb.com, you'll get connected to whatever version of Squeezebox Server it is running, and that means your player's firmware might get updated.

I wouldn't want to get constantly swapping firmwares whenever I switched between mysb.com and the local server, so that in turn implies the need to keep upgrading the local server in order to avoid that. And I don't want the uncertainty of constantly updating my local server - there are far too many posts around here to do with things breaking after a SBS update. I'm firmly in the camp that believes you should not mess with things that are working fine.

Nope, you missunderstand. I have a mysb.com account BUT I DON'T CONNECT MY PLAYERS TO MYSB.COM. I connect players to my local computer running SbS. For example, in my main system I use 7.6.2. So having a mysb.com account and entering those credentials IN YOUR LOCAL SBS (in SbS > Settings > mysb.com tab) is NOT the same as switching your players to mysb.com to receive your streams from mysb.com.
    EDIT: so bottom line, having a mysb.com account and entering the credentials in your local SbS will NOT force any upgrades, etc.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

If you turn off software updates after the upgrade, when the player has upgraded and always use the player locally you won't be bothered by upgrades. But always connect to your own server and use mysqueezebox.com trough the server .
    There is actually nothing you can't do via the local server (integrated with mysb.com).

The only reasons to why people switch back and forth is .

*Turn of the pc and save energy.
    *Unaware of the integration option.
    *Failed server setup where the conection to mysqueezebox.com wont work.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have Spotify and Rhapsody at the moment. I had a Napster for a couple of months and dropped it because too much of their music was only available as "30 second previews".

Rhapsody and Spotify overlap quite a bit, but they do complement eachother. For instance, ELP appears in Spotify, but not Rhapsody. The electronic band synth.nl has some titles in Spotify only and others in Rhapsody only.

I like the idea of what Spotify can become, but from a usability perspective, I perfer Rhapsody. Spotify's library management is basically non existent. Spotify's desktop app and mobile apps (both iPod and Andriod) seem immature; Rhapsody's is more stable, mature, and intuitive to use.

The best way to tell is get a trial subscription to each service that you are interested in and switch between them throughout the trial period. You will find one will appeal to you more than the others either due to music selection or usability.

Oh, I just noticed that the OP is from the UK, so Rhapsody isn't an option at the moment. Since Rhapsody bought Napster, that may change.
    Last edited by maggior; 2011-11-14 at 11:56.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Napster is going away soon anyway, so don't bother with them. They were purchased by Rhapsody.
    Yes you need a MySB.com account to use most services. Your SBS server will connect too MySB.com.
    Your player itself need not ever connect directly to MySB.com.

I did a poll on music services a while back which you might find interesting: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=89244

Since you are in the UK, I believe your choices are more limited. Over the past 6 months I have tried Spotify, Rhapsody, Slacker Premium, MOG, and Last.FM. I'm still in my MOG trial, but when the dust settles I am thinking Rhapsody + Last.FM will be what I stick with for now. It seems most of the "on demand" services don't have very good radio features so I like having one service for on-demand and one for radio.

Yeah, Rhapsody bought Napster, but I don't know if they have announced what it means for UK Napster customers.

I think everyone has explained it by now, but to reiterate... even though you need a mysb account to use some of the services, you never need to connect your players to mysb if you have a local server running. However, it does come in handy every now and again when the server PC needs maintenance or is down for whatever reason.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

I have been using spotify premium £10 per month for the last two months and found it to be excellent.

I use Triode's excellent plugin (much better than the official one for radio & touch) and am having a ball.

Can't really seeing when or if I will buy another CD, the quality for me is great and the availability of stuff I want to listen to is almost 100% so far.

Having a crack at old school live albums at the mo, The Who at Leeds, Thin Lizzy Live and dangerous, Johnny Cash at Folsom etc etc. All good stuff, I would certainly recommend a trial, don't think you need mysb.com.