Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thumbs down USB stick not recognized

Hi there,

I just bought a new 32 Gib USB 3.0 Transcend Jetflash 700 USB stick to use with my SB Touch. I habe been using a 8 GiB USB 2.0 Buffalo so far without any hitch, but the new one doesn't work at all with the SBT. It works fine with my computer but the SB doesn't recognize it.

I tried different filesystems (NTFS, FAT32), formatted the stick several times. There's only one partition and the files on it are no different than on the 8 GiB stick. Is there anything else you can think of?

I'm really mad, such an easy thing should really work! The list on the wiki is not really exhaustive, just one newer USB stick. Means I have to try sticks until one works finally, great :-(

I seem to remember reading elsewhere in this forum USB 3.0 does not work or does not work well with the Touch...

Of course I could be mistaken which I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.
    Joe Sica
    2 SB Radio's ( 1 black and 1 white) and 1 Touch ( Analog cap mod)

Quote Originally Posted by MDDLMN View Post
    ..... Means I have to try sticks until one works finally, great :-(
    Sadly, yes.

I've got it so far now, that it creates the .squeezebox folder, but it doesn't appear in the Squeezebox menu.

A 32 GiB drive with USB 2.0 would be rather annoying... Someone else on these boards is using the same drive with his SB Touch and got it working after formatting (it wasn't recognized at first as well), but for me that doesn't seem to do much.

I'll have to return it, a shame, the stick is quite fast (>40MB/sec with big files) and among the cheapest of the USB 3.0 bunch.

I've got it so far now, that it creates the .squeezebox folder, but it doesn't appear in the Squeezebox menu.

A 32 GiB drive with USB 2.0 would be rather annoying... Someone else on these boards is using the same drive with his SB Touch and got it working after formatting (it wasn't recognized at first as well), but for me that doesn't seem to do much.

I'll have to return it, a shame, the stick is quite fast (>40MB/sec with big files) and among the cheapest of the USB 3.0 bunch.
    has it really finished the scanning part ?

it can take some time on that hardware

it is good to see that it is at least writable

If you are running 7.7 you can not "browse music" folder while it's scanning.

Anything in artist and albums in my music (you may have to switch library to the stick)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Someone else on these boards is using the same drive with his SB Touch and got it working after formatting
    That someone was me. Maybe this is just a stupid idea, but after formating the stick a second time I also changed its name (the one shown in the Windows Explorer).

papa-nundo.

Lightbulb

OK interesting discovery:

when I connect the drive and then restart the SBT with the little button on the backside, it starts the scanning (but doesn't show the "connecting USB drive" dialogue) and shows all the music and artwork files correctly.
    So far so good, it does not show the drive itself though. When I go to Preferences->USB and SD drives it shows "No drives". I also don't get the safe removal functions etc.

So I guess it's a bug in the SBT software. I'm running formware 7.7.0 r9550 and Logitech Media Server 7.7.0 r3361. It just upgraded before I connected the new drive the 1st time.

Maybe a future update will solve this.

P.S. Thanks papa-nundo for your mail, BTW!

Not your case, but if you were running TinySC before rebooting Touch then Touch will boot up with TinySC again.

If TinySC recognizes any USB/SD card it will display so on the Home menu.

Doesn't display the drive but displays the files nonetheless.