Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Why scan everything when adding just a few songs?

Like the title says; Why does LMS scan all folders and files when adding just a few songs? Today I added just 1 song and it took about 1,5 hour unntil it was finished scanning and I could play the song on Touch.

-antevalente from Norway

You have two other options:
    1. Change to a "Look for new and changed media files" scan
    2. Navigate to the new file using "Music Folder" and tags will be added to database as it is played.

I typically do the first above and it takes under a minute on LMS 7.7.0.

Thanx for quick reply!

I have done the nr 1 option, that's the one that took about 1,5 hour.
    I'm now trying to go directly to the file via "music folder" but it wont connect to it, after a while tryng to connect it says: "Can not connect"

I have to mention that Toutch is connected to HDD via Netgear wndr3700 router with cable and the LMS server is run by my laptop wireless. And I have over 18 000 songs. Is this why it is so slow?

-A

Quote Originally Posted by antevalente1 View Post
    Like the title says; Why does LMS scan all folders and files when adding just a few songs? Today I added just 1 song and it took about 1,5 hour unntil it was finished scanning and I could play the song on Touch.
    When doing a 'new & changed' scan, it does not scan every file. It only checks each file and quickly compares the size and modified time against its database to determine whether or not the file has changed.

Ok, so I have to assume that there is a congestion(for lack of a better word) in my setup, since it's so slow?

Mounth the file storage for the server over wireless is very avkward ? This will be slow , very slow .
    And letting the router do this it's cpu is not superfast and busy routing .
    This is pobably a good setup for a backup disc.

Even ethernet mounted storage is not so fast, but better .
    Try to conect the usb drive directly to the laptop .
    Fastest option is a local harddrive on the server machine

This give you other intereresting problems to it uses 3 times the wireless capacity it normally needs when it streams, assuming that player is wifi too.

18000 files is in itself not a problem at all a rescan moves trough 37000 files in 3-4 minutes on my slow server on a modern pc this will be very fast.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

JJZolx,
    are you using an UNC path (sth. like \\server\...) as the base of your music library?
    Because that's what's causing an extreme slow scanning for me. There's even an entry in the bug library for that, which is being ignored so far.
    2x Touch - 1x Radio - 1x Classic