Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

auto populate year tag info

Can anyone recommend a good (free) tool that will scan music files and automatically populate the Year field in a batch mode? I've looked at mp3Tag and MusicBrainz Picard but I don't see this capability in them.

There used to be some great plugins for J River Media Center that did this, but I don't know if they are still available.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Populate it with what?

Populate it with the year of the release of the album.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by dbinder101 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good (free) tool that will scan music files and automatically populate the Year field in a batch mode? I've looked at mp3Tag and MusicBrainz Picard but I don't see this capability in them.
    I loaded all my music with iTunes. The entire software environment is retarded and it has a huge tendency toward "compilation." <this is not to mention slow.>

It's also missing a lot of stuff. (By that I mean albums.)

It is, however, free. Other tools can help you with the art on other stuff.

P

Quote Originally Posted by dbinder101 View Post
    Populate it with the year of the release of the album.
    Uhm ... yes, sorry, probably that was a stupid question. What I meant was, where do you get that information from? Some people put the release year in the directory or file name. In this case it should be a fairly easy task for Mp3tag to pick it up and write the appropriate tag.

Otherwise you would need some kind of online lookup. MusicBrainz Picard can do that (drag&drop the files onto the left pane, click "lookup"), but of course only if the album is already in the MusicBrainz database. If you want to set only the year it would probably require some Picard scripting so that it doesn't overwrite your existing tags.

Puddletag ( linux ) can easilly be setup to retrive only years for example.

But the online databases are not always to be trusted they are often wrong and sometimes i disagree with correct info .

I prefer the original release year of the recording for example an old recording originally done before digital.

Led Zeppelin 1 I want the year to be 1969 , not whenever one of the numerous cd versions was released.
    But in the best case these online databases report the cd release year.
    I have not experimented with multiple year tags or a tag separator , that would be an aproach with multiple remaster. There is an origyear tag ? How well suported is that one ?

So to fit personal prefs some hands on jobb is needed anyway, my aproach to year is a historical timeline of when the music was made not when they printed my copy , but thats often the only thing you get from the cd case . Amg or wikipedia can have info .

What did I just say ? There is no way to *really* automate tagging, but you can do it anyway but be preperad to accept some anomalies and errors. Automating years would give very little music before 1985-1990
    Have in mind that most of the content of these dB's is uploaded by other amateur users.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    There is an origyear tag ? How well suported is that one ?
    ID3v2.3 only has the TYER tag which is meant to hold the year of the recording, not the year of the release.

ID3v2.4 has TDRC (recording date), TDOR (original release date), and TDRL (date of this particular release).

While Mp3tag can handle both variants, MusicBrainz unfortunately stores only release dates, so you can't get the recording dates from there. I'm not sure which tags SBS/LMS reads.