Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster View Post
    Do this and there'll be no need for constant clear and rescans.
    Ever tried to change capitalization? It does not work with a 'changed & new files' scan. Changing cover art doesn't either. (Windows)

Then there's a conflict between how you are managing your files and how SBS expects you to.
    I just make sure that I leave all the timestamps untouched when I do it (which means that SBS will not see the changes) and when I'm happy with the changes I've made, move the timestamps on the files forward by 2 seconds. Then a scan for new and changed picks up all the changes perfectly and leaves the album in the correct date order. The key is you need to bump the timestamps on the audio files for SBS to be able to spot the changes. Even if you've changed a cover.jpg file to one with a newer date
    Wow, this is very straightforward and user friendly.

I run a number of instances of the Squeezebox server on my server hardware. I generally keep SBS 7.5.6, 7.6.3 and LMS 7.7.0 running. For my production server I still use 7.5.6, as I find the web interface to be most consistent.

Overall, scanning is more reliable in 7.6 (later releases and nightlies) than it was in 7.5. It correctly removes content from the library that has been removed, and reliably finds all artwork, which can't be said for 7.5. LMS 7.7, when just scanning music, behaves pretty much the same as 7.6. I schedule a scan to run nightly on all three servers:

7.5.6: Full clear & rescan
    7.6.3: New & changed scan
    7.7.0: New & changed scan

I don't find running full scans any more problematic than running new & changed scans. In fact, it's exactly the opposite. If there are no changes to the files in the library, then it just returns the same library each time.

Small tag changes is not picked up by a new and changed , it's must be big enough for the files size to change or you have to let you tagger change the date, then it gets picked up .

new artwork in they way of a folder.jpg is not picked up it have to be embedded to be picked up by a new and changed .

A completely new album works fine , the changed part depends .

If you are in a situation where you for some reason constanly is fine tuning your tags you probable need to do a " clear and rescan" often .

other user that have found a "method" to tag their files may never return to retag old files then "new and changed" is good enough.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

A clear and rescan is for a big collection a bad way.

Soemtimes I changed my tags and the quickest way to do it is:
    1. change tag and move the files away from the music dir
    2. make a rescan for changed files
    3. move the files back to music dir
    4. make again a rescan for changed files

Not fine but works.
    A clear and rescan needs over 2 hours for me. A rescan for changed files 3 minutes.
    Logitech Media Server Version:7.9.1 - 1504317335 on Synology
    1x Touch - 2x Boom - 1x Radio + Raspberry PI (piCorePlayer) with TEAC UD-503
    Yamaha RX-A1080 + ANAVIEW AMS1000 + B&W 803 Diamond + Elac FS247

It may be but I've found that the sytem works well enough without a rescan directly after I fixed some tags , I can wait until such time that I can scan.

If I move files out of their directories then I would scan before using the system, but if the files are where that always hve been I've found no problem using them with stale data it may not "look" rigth untill after the scan but it does not crash or anything.
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

I reiterate - make whatever changes you want to the files but then bump the timestamps on all the music files that constitute that album forward by a second or two and a scan for new and changed will properly pick it up every time.

I reiterate - make whatever changes you want to the files but then bump the timestamps on all the music files that constitute that album forward by a second or two and a scan for new and changed will properly pick it up every time.
    is that. Functionality a part of any known tagging software ? Any hint of how to accomplish that, is there some comandline tool one could use ?

Here's a bit of VBscript I posted before that will work on a single directory:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...86&postcount=5

I think someone has also posted an equivalent for Mac and/or Linux as well but I'd have to do some searching to find that.

I use MP3tag to change the tags, with it set to leave the timestamps untouched. Then I copy the path from the 'Directory' box, double-click my VBscript applet and paste it the directory into the popup so it bumps the timestamps on the files I've just edited.

I do have a newer version which also supports directory recursion if anybody needs it, but this one works for simple tasks.

Here's a bit of VBscript I posted before that will work on a single directory:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...86&postcount=5

I think someone has also posted an equivalent for Mac and/or Linux as well but I'd have to do some searching to find that.

I use MP3tag to change the tags, with it set to leave the timestamps untouched. Then I copy the path from the 'Directory' box, double-click my VBscript applet and paste it the directory into the popup so it bumps the timestamps on the files I've just edited.

I do have a newer version which also supports directory recursion if anybody needs it, but this one works for simple tasks.
    You can easily launch your script from within Mp3tag if you like. Look into the 'Tools' feature, which can run external programs and has an option to run just once per directory. You add tools in Options > Tools. I have a VBScript to bump audio file times that is configured using the following:

Name: Bump
    Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscript.exe
    Parameters: "C:\util\bump.vbs" /d:0 "%_folderpath%"

The easiest way to launch it is to highlight one or more files, right-click, select Tools from the menu, then select 'Bump'.

It may help to add a little

WScript.Echo "Bumped"

message at the end of the script to get a little visual feedback after the operation completes.