Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezeplay - DNS lookup for server

I've been looking to setup my remote library but I use dynamic dns and I don't know my static IP address all the time. This issue has been seen everywhere from looking on the internet but everyones suggestion is to use Softsqueeze. Is this ever going to be implemented in Squeezeplay?
    Last edited by kllngtme; 2011-11-29 at 15:17.

Not likely.

If you prefer the interface of SqueezePlay, you could probably run Softsqueeze as the music player and then control it through SqueezePlay.

Is there a reason for this? Dynamic DNS was made for a reason, because IP addresses can change at any given time. I really don't understand this entirely, if Squeezeplay is the new soft interface for us to get to our libraries via a computer and or remotely and such, this should be implemented. Why was it taken out in the first place? This should be such a simple thing, I bet if you add just the spots where you can insert in letters instead of only numbers, this feature might just work right away without any more configurations...

Quote Originally Posted by kllngtme View Post
    Is there a reason for this?
    Yes, SqueezePlay isn't a production piece of software. It was developed as a player emulator as a testing tool. When used on a local network it will find the server automatically, so it normally works without a problem.

My home cable IP address hasn't changed in two and half years, so SqueezePlay or Squeezeslave or any other player that requires an IP address works great remotely.

So the situation where you're connecting remotely _and_ your IP address is constantly changing is the only scenario where you need DNS resolution.

ok, do you know of someone I can talk to to try and get this implemented in a future build? Verizon Fios uses dhcp and the last I talked to them about this they said I will never have a static IP. It's changed 3 times in the course of 2 months. I get to everything from my home server using my dyndns name.. I never use a static IP to get to my home network with any of the devices I use.

From looking online, I'm not the only one that uses this to try and access my library remotely and have came into the same issue. I'm using softsqueeze but the interface isn't exactly the greatest to use. I figure the new version is Squeezeplay and minds well be updated so we can all move on from Softsqueeze with the same amount of functionality... I'm not trying to be a jerk or whatever, I'm trying to help, I realize this isn't a production piece of software but it's not like there are many options out there.. this type of program should be available as an official download from Logitech or whatever to just aid with the Squeezebox platform...

Here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2140

Just out of curiosity, how often does your home IP address change? Even if it were daily, how much trouble is setting up a new remote server once a day?

When I used to connect from work I used the web interface to control playback (using Squeezeslave as the player). IMO, much better than either SqueezePlay or Softsqueeze interfaces.

From what I can tell, it's random, it could change at any given time. I dont know exactly how much it changes.

I saw that bug report, doesn't really help me, it just shows other people are trying to do the same thing as me but it hasn't really been addressed or anything, that's why I'm posting here..

Although your suggestion for the webgui is a great idea, I'd still like to see this implemented.

Does anyone know of a dev who works on this so I could try and discuss this with them to get this implemented?

This is one of those niche features where we'd love for someone to provide a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by kllngtme View Post
    Does anyone know of a dev who works on this so I could try and discuss this with them to get this implemented?
    I think there are only two developers in total. And there are 100s of more important things that haven't been dealt with for years. I hate to be pessimistic, but the odds here are very, very low. Squuezeplay is not even on the books to EVER be released as official software (Remember that logitech is In the hardware business).

Can't recall your earlier posts, but have you reported this as an enhancement request in bugzilla? This is the official way to get this in front of developers. Report the "bug" number here and others can vote on it.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify