Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post
    Lots of excellent suggestions guys, thank you again for all the help.

Re: Tags, I'm getting the hint on tags being correct but help me understand something. Y'all have indicated the importance of the tags being "correct." It seems quite elementary to me. I mean it sounds like it would be rather strange for them not to be correct. When I download flac files, don't they already have tags embedded and if so, why would they be wrong?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't quite comprehend the concept of the "incorrect tag." So could you perhaps give me an example or two of how tags could be in the wrong?

When I use mp3tag a lot of the fields are blank and if I want to I can edit the name of the album, etc. But what I'm saying is I've never come across a tag that was just so blatantly wrong that it was obvious. So I'm assuming there's something I'm missing as to the correctness of tags. So yeah I'd appreciate an example of what to watch out for in regard to tagging correctly.

Thanks.
    Just a few quick ones.

1. Say you have a lot of Greatful Dead albums. Some artist fields have "The Grateful Dead" and some have "Grateful Dead". So when you look for artists you have two different listings of the Grateful Dead.

2. You have the artist Doug Sahm. Some artist tags are listed as "Sahm, Doug" and some are "Doug Sahm". When scrolling you find some of the albums under the Ds and some under the Ss.

3. There are tags called artistsortorder or albumsortorder. So what if the Artist tag is John Hiatt, but he artistsortorder tag is Hiatt, John. You keep looking in the J's for John Hiatt, not understanding why he is showing up in the H's.

4. Don't even get me started on COMPILATIONS. Depending on the tags (do you have COMPILATION = 1 or no, do you have an ALBUM ARTIST tag in addition to ARTIST tag, etc.) you may end up with a compilation album showing up 25 different times with 25 different artists, or only once as a compilation.

There are many other examples in different ways that the tags can do odd things. Just search for the user name "Mr. Sinatra" on these forums and you can read for days about the subtle things that minor differences in tagging can do...
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Just to add to garym 's great advice, it is often more a tag consistency issue, than correctness. If you do nothing else, keep the tags consistent as you clean them up or add new music. You will find genres for example, will be all over the map, with the same CD or artist being called rock, classic rock, pop, pop/rock,blues etc.

I think it was mentioned that SBS doesn't care what you call the folders and files or how you chose to organize them. It only looks at the tags to build it's database, so this is where you want to spend some time. It does make sense though, to use a logical directory structure to help you manage the actual files. Perhaps the most common is Music library/artist/album/tracks.

and don't worry over this issue. if there are weird things going on in your tags, it will show up eventually when you notice odd ways things are showing up in your Squeezeboxes. But when you do, you can use mp3tag or something similar to fix your problem. Heck I'm still playing with my tags all the time to "improve" things.

just remember when you're looking at files and trying to uncover "hidden tags"...in mp3tag, right click on file(s), select extended tags, and you'll see all the tags in that file, even a few you never realized existed.

p.s. you mentioned earlier wanting to organize based on genre/artist/album/track. This works and I think plenty of people use this. I don't like it because I have lots of artists that may be in different genres. I might have Doug Sahm with albums in Country, R&B, Blues, Psychedelic, etc. But when I happen to be looking at my file structure, I'd like to see all the albums with Doug Sahm as Album Artist show up in that one directory (with a subdirectory for each album).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    p.s. you mentioned earlier wanting to organize based on genre/artist/album/track. This works and I think plenty of people use this. I don't like it because I have lots of artists that may be in different genres. I might have Doug Sahm with albums in Country, R&B, Blues, Psychedelic, etc. But when I happen to be looking at my file structure, I'd like to see all the albums with Doug Sahm as Album Artist show up in that one directory (with a subdirectory for each album).
    +1 I don't see any value in genre as a folder, since the only time you really use genre is at the SB or within the SB web page, where the genre tags are used.