Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Software to check/validate mp3 files ?

Hi

do you know of any good software (< $50) to batch check/validate a bunch of mp3 files.

my SBReceiver has started to crash as various random times, I as a first I would like to make sure my mp3's are not corrupt

thanks
    Some version of LMS running on a HP EX490 home server
    SBReceiver --> NAD C162 / C272 --> DALI IKON 6

Quote Originally Posted by finnbrodersen View Post
    Hi

do you know of any good software (< $50) to batch check/validate a bunch of mp3 files.

my SBReceiver has started to crash as various random times, I as a first I would like to make sure my mp3's are not corrupt

thanks
    google audiotester (you run the file, drop the directories into the window and it tries to decode all the files).

also foobar2000, right click on file(s) and select I recall utilities > verify file integrity.

or dbpoweramp. Convert to TEST CONVERSION (it just decodes file, etc. but then doesn't do anything...but if it fails it will tell you).

basically all three of these options do the same thing.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

MrSinatra
    mp3val

i swear by that.

i use vbrfix by moonbase for vbrs mp3val can't fix.

i will check out audiotester to see if it will identify codecs, as i want to find all the mp3pro and mp3hd crap in my DLs.

MrSinatra
    Last edited by MrSinatra; 2011-10-22 at 21:30.

here, then scroll down page to get to audiotester. Very simple program, and not sure if it tells you anything about codecs. can't recall.
    http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php

I've also used EncSpot in the past for that.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    mp3val

i swear by that.

i use vbrfix by moonbase for vbrs mp3val can't fix.

i will check out audiotester to see if it will identify codecs, as i want to find all the mp3pro and mp3hd crap in my DLs.
    foobar2000 also has "fix VBR header" and "rebuild mp3 stream" I've used both utilities with great success on mp3 file that show up with "error decoding" or "warning, time is wrong" messages.

MrSinatra
    so i ran audiotester, and not sure i trust it.

it found around 45 issues, various types.

but some were "bad id3v2" tag, yet mp3tag doesn't report the tag as bad.

some of the files it says are truncated, and certainly i have DL'd truncated files before, but i fix them with mp3val. mp3val doesn't show them as truncated any longer.

half the files are from one album i DL'd by the Pozo Singers, all of which say "lost sync at end of file" but they all sound fine and mp3val has np.

some say they lost sync at a certain point, but again, np with mp3val.

unfortunately, nothing about what codec was used.

so i ran audiotester, and not sure i trust it.

it found around 45 issues, various types.

but some were "bad id3v2" tag, yet mp3tag doesn't report the tag as bad.

some of the files it says are truncated, and certainly i have DL'd truncated files before, but i fix them with mp3val. mp3val doesn't show them as truncated any longer.

half the files are from one album i DL'd by the Pozo Singers, all of which say "lost sync at end of file" but they all sound fine and mp3val has np.

some say they lost sync at a certain point, but again, np with mp3val.

unfortunately, nothing about what codec was used.
    agree. it just is an indication. I actually prefer foobar's "verify integrity"...

MrSinatra
    i need to play with foobar more, esp since they switched to TPE2 = AA by default (after some posts i made)

however, ur pgm has me worried (sort of). are they false positives? i'm inclined to think so, but idk.

does foobar indicate codec used?

i need to play with foobar more, esp since they switched to TPE2 = AA by default (after some posts i made)

however, ur pgm has me worried (sort of). are they false positives? i'm inclined to think so, but idk.

does foobar indicate codec used?
    i suspect they are false postives. seems like an old, very simple program. in foobar, use this custom column for reporting codec. This reports, for example, lame version for me. not sure what it shows for old mp3 codecs:

$info(tool)