Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishamon View Post
    Screen visibility from a distance is the primary reason, and since I also have no use for a touch screen, I would rather save a bit of cash and get the model that better suits my needs for less money.
    You may be surprised that the touchscreen is a good deal _less_ expensive than the SB2's and SB3's VFD screen. Or at least it was back when the manufacturer was still making the VFD screens.

Audio quality and format support is better 24/96 and native AAC and posibility to run spotify without a local server etc .

And this is their "future" platform (if there is a future for these products ) the old players rarely get any new features in the fw any "upgrade" to the old platform is made on the local server or mysqueezebox.com only .

I bougth another Touch the other day , in my small kitchen the visibility over distance is not such a problem , but viewing angle is a bit narrow the foot should have been adjustable imo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bishamon View Post
    Screen visibility from a distance is the primary reason, and since I also have no use for a touch screen, I would rather save a bit of cash and get the model that better suits my needs for less money. On the other hand, $209.00 direct from Logitech for a Touch (or less from other online sources) is a good deal if the audio quality is better; I didn't realize that aspect had been improved. I had a chance to get one of those Logitech 50% off coupons just the other day, which would have made the Touch only $105. Argh.
    You will find that Logitech US won't ship to Canada and you are forced to buy from Logitech Canada.....at $349!
    The best price I've found is from Solutions A/V, at $289.
    http://shop.solutionsav.ca/products/...box-Touch.html

Also not that the Touch screen is not that expensive , the old vfd screen used on SB3 was more expensive, so you actually get more "player" for the money .

I'm using a pad for most of the time the player interface has become rather irrelevant , I have it project cover art in now playing .

If you have no Touch yet, one should mention that it uses 2 kinds of display one with larger letters and fewer rows and buttons when you use the ir remote and an interface with more buttons and smaller text when you are using the touch interface
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

You can get NOS SB3s from Amazon (Logitech brand) or from EBay (SD and Logi, on .com and .co.uk). I've found a white and a black unit, both NOS, over the course of the last 6 months or so.

In this condition I would say the SB3 is rare but still available under $150 if you're patient enough. However I would advise to also snatch one or 2 units in lesser condition for spare parts. Add S&H. You'll probably end up paying same/more for the SB3 than for the Touch…
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Just my opinion: sound quality is *really* better on the Touch (and it supports 24/96, too), but visibility from a distance isn't as good than with the old, larger, VFD screen, even with the "remote" (big letters) skin used on the Touch. And the viewing angle may also be an issue, as noted by Mnyb.

What were the odds ??
    There is a white SB3 NOS that just got listed on eBay.com.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.