Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Sb touch / sbs & nas drive

Hi there I am new to the forums and in fact Squeezebox as a product.

I am looking to buy a squeezebox touch, initially to stream Spotify from my iPad. Eventually I want to add a NAS drive and have a couple of questions.

Are there any specific NAS drives that work better with SB Touch? The NAS will contain Apple Lossless music and will be connected directly into my wireless router, streaming music using my iPad as a controller....either via the specific SB Controller App or iPeng.

I believe I need to add SBS onto any device (NAS / PC etc) I wish to stream music from. How easy is this to install and configure onto the NAS drive?

Also is the SB touch the best product in the Logitech range bearing in mind I won't be using the touchscreen.All controll will be via the iPad.

Hope you can help me with these questions.

Cheers guys.

Hi there,

The Squeezebox Touch is a great way to go. However it won't "stream SPotfiy from your iPad" - it streams music from software called Squeezebox Server, either running locally of in the cloud via mySqueezebox.com (a free Logitech supplied service).

Initially it seems that it would be best for you to stream spotify via mysqueezebox.com. This will give you access to Spotidy and all internet radio stations. Using Squeezebox server gives you access to more functionality and your local music - there are a few options:
    - the Touch has an inbult SBS server which works with a USB drive containing your music. Check this forum for compatibility issues of drives - this gives you limited flexibility, but will work with the other Squeezeboxes that you will inevitably buy
    - running SBS on a computer - however this has to be on whenever you want to use your player
    - running SBS on a network device - there is much debate about this - I used an NAS for a year or so (Synology and ReadyNAS offer NAS boxes that support SBS - basic ones will not), however many people here will recommend using SBS on a server/ old PC runing Vortexbox or something similar - search for much more info and debates!

In all cases you only need SBS to be running once!

Hope this helps...

J
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

Lots of great NAS reading, suggestions, FAQ's and support from NAS users:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Quote Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post
    Also is the SB touch the best product in the Logitech range bearing in mind I won't be using the touchscreen.All controll will be via the iPad......
    Best how? Audio quality? User interface? Most supported native codecs?
    The "best" for audio quality is arguably the (now discontinued) Transporter @ about $1k, though I'd bet many would say the Touch is very close or even equal to the task.
    I've never heard a Transporter myself.

Hi there I am new to the forums and in fact Squeezebox as a product.

I am looking to buy a squeezebox touch, initially to stream Spotify from my iPad. Eventually I want to add a NAS drive and have a couple of questions.

Are there any specific NAS drives that work better with SB Touch? The NAS will contain Apple Lossless music and will be connected directly into my wireless router, streaming music using my iPad as a controller....either via the specific SB Controller App or iPeng.

I believe I need to add SBS onto any device (NAS / PC etc) I wish to stream music from. How easy is this to install and configure onto the NAS drive?

Also is the SB touch the best product in the Logitech range bearing in mind I won't be using the touchscreen.All controll will be via the iPad.

Hope you can help me with these questions.

Cheers guys.
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. Unless you choose to check out ebay,or various hifi warehouses for any remaining stock of duets/booms etc,and as you mention lossless files I'm presuming you're concerned about audio quality, then the SB touch is the only product currently available in the Logitech "range" Having said that, it will do exactly what you want!

Where is your music now? If you need to rip hundreds of cd's,then maybe consider a vortebox. I don't own a touch, but I believe it ships with a version of SBS already installed, so if your collection of lossless files isn't too gigantic, you could just connect an external hd to the touch,and save yourself some dough.

Trev
    Touch + my hifi
    Duet + AE2's
    SB3 + AE5's
    2 Booms ( 1 as a spare )
    1 Radio
    Squeezecommander on Samsung Galaxy Ace
    ipeng on wifes ipad
    Logitech app on my sons HTC Desire

Quote Originally Posted by JonWill View Post
    Hi there,

The Squeezebox Touch is a great way to go. However it won't "stream SPotfiy from your iPad" - it streams music from software called Squeezebox Server, either running locally of in the cloud via mySqueezebox.com (a free Logitech supplied service).

Initially it seems that it would be best for you to stream spotify via mysqueezebox.com. This will give you access to Spotidy and all internet radio stations. Using Squeezebox server gives you access to more functionality and your local music - there are a few options:
    - the Touch has an inbult SBS server which works with a USB drive containing your music. Check this forum for compatibility issues of drives - this gives you limited flexibility, but will work with the other Squeezeboxes that you will inevitably buy
    - running SBS on a computer - however this has to be on whenever you want to use your player
    - running SBS on a network device - there is much debate about this - I used an NAS for a year or so (Synology and ReadyNAS offer NAS boxes that support SBS - basic ones will not), however many people here will recommend using SBS on a server/ old PC runing Vortexbox or something similar - search for much more info and debates!

In all cases you only need SBS to be running once!

Hope this helps...

J
    Thanks for the reply.

Getting confused there, and didn't mean stream....as I am aware that SB controls Spotify directly by adding in my user details. so I suppose what I meant is control the SB using the iPad app or iPeng.

At the moment my music is apple lossless on my iPod, on my laptop in iTunes and also backed up the iTunes library onto a 500gb WD external hard drive.....If I plug this into SB will it recognise the APple Lossless music files and allow me to play them?

The NAS would be a future addition, and will be attached to my wireless router and also contain, photos and work files etc....for acces vis my laptop wirelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntwolla View Post
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. Unless you choose to check out ebay,or various hifi warehouses for any remaining stock of duets/booms etc,and as you mention lossless files I'm presuming you're concerned about audio quality, then the SB touch is the only product currently available in the Logitech "range" Having said that, it will do exactly what you want!

Where is your music now? If you need to rip hundreds of cd's,then maybe consider a vortebox. I don't own a touch, but I believe it ships with a version of SBS already installed, so if your collection of lossless files isn't too gigantic, you could just connect an external hd to the touch,and save yourself some dough.

Trev
    Hi Trev,

At the moment my music is saved as Apple Lossless files in iTunes on my Laptop and also an external hard drive (WD). I don't use a CD player in my system anymore. So I just rip music as I buy it or use Spotify more so now days.

Hi Trev,

At the moment my music is saved as Apple Lossless files in iTunes on my Laptop and also an external hard drive (WD). I don't use a CD player in my system anymore. So I just rip music as I buy it or use Spotify more so now days.

Looks like you have a choice then. Either install SBS on your laptop and use that, in which case your laptop will need to be on whenever you want to play your own music ( but not for spotify ) or attach your external hd to the touch and use the preinstalled SBS.

As I said, I don't own a touch (yet) and I have read on these forums of some problems with the second option, mainly with large libraries. The first option will certainly work perfectly until such time as you decide to invest in a NAS. You could also plug your hd into your laptop, and point your SBS to that drive, rather than filling up your laptops drive.

Have fun,

Trev
    Touch + my hifi
    Duet + AE2's
    SB3 + AE5's
    2 Booms ( 1 as a spare )
    1 Radio
    Squeezecommander on Samsung Galaxy Ace
    ipeng on wifes ipad
    Logitech app on my sons HTC Desire